Do NOT start Allen at Baltimore

zow2

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

They didn't necessarily fall off a cliff. They were 9-7 last year not too bad. Obviously could have easily been 10-6 as we well know. Plus, their defense was their strength last year and likely their strength again this year. And the question at hand is who should we start at QB. What defenses that QB will be facing should be considered.

I think that while Flacco did not play badly in pre season he is the reason why they will be similar again......when the bullet's fly he simply is not that good.

And we have beaten the ravens in past years regular season.....no reason to think we cannot do it again.

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Josh is obviously the future, but hopefully this staff has the smarts to not put the kid in there for game #1.   He and the offense were overwhelmed by Cincinnati's starting D-line just 5 days ago.  He's not ready to go into a hostile environment and read a pro defense, have good communication in/out of the huddle, audible and execute at a high level.   It's just not gonna happen in this game.

Baltimore is back after a disappointing 2017.  They will have a very good team this year.  Their D is going to be playing with their hair on fire opening day.  I think they'd still beat the Bills even if they started Lamar Jackson (which they won't).   Do I think Nate Peterman will do well if he gets the start?  I doubt it but I'd rather see him in there for this particular game than Allen.   I think Nate has a year under his belt to notice pre-snap reads better than JA and to handle the difficult communication that will be required in a loud road stadium.   

If Peterman surprises people and plays well, then it's a nice bonus for everyone and the coaching staff will have a good situation on their hands.  If he lays a big egg (like many will expect him to do)...then it's very justified and easy for McDermott to name Josh Allen the starter for the home opener vs. LA.     I'd much rather see Allen get his first start in a friendly environment than on the road where he will literally have almost no chance to succeed.

95% Agree.  It's the logical way to do this.  You either jack up Peterman's value when he plays well or you hand the reigns over to Allen and get him experience when Peterman fails. 

The only thing I disagree on is how much time Peterman should be given.  If he fails in the Ravens game, it will be too early to take him out.  If Peterman isn't performing well, I'd probably think about replacing him 5 to 8 games into the season.  The reason is this: 

1)  you give peterman a chance to rebound (he seems to learn from his mistakes.  notice how much better he has been this preseason compared with last year's preseason and the disaster vs the chargers)

2)  when allen comes in, there is no pressure to win immediately from the fans/media because we will likely already be all but eliminated from the playoffs.  he gets a free half season to learn without people calling for him to be replaced, released, etc.

3)  some of the o-line issues might have worked themselves out (either through waiver wire pickups or the guys just learning how to mesh) by this point in the year, so allen might not be getting sacked 5 times in one half anymore.

4)  gives him some time to learn how game preparation is done at the NFL level, prior to actually having to do it himself.

• Like (+1) 1

I just think that it is easier to start Peterman and bench him in the season then it is to start Allen and bench him.

If Allen starts....you start him every game as long as he is healthy regardless of wins/losses.......because it is about getting him experience.

but its hard to sit Peterman because you also have a 53 man roster playing their butts off and they deserve to try to win to

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Hope that is the case. But i look at the instant success of the Eagles and Rams after adding young offensive minded head coaches and can't help but wish we were in that same boat. 

We had instant success as well with a less talented roster

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I think that while Flacco did not play badly in pre season he is the reason why they will be similar again......when the bullet's fly he simply is not that good.

And we have beaten the ravens in past years regular season.....no reason to think we cannot do it again.

I agree. But i'm not thinking really in terms of win/loss. More so along the lines of how badly could a young QB be harmed if he goes up against a really good defense. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Yes indeed. Besides the 0-16 teams, all teams have beat another, including the bottom feeders.  There is always a chance on any given Sunday. I hate the thought process of giving up a game as a loss before it even happened! How many times I've seen people on here count the two games against NE as losses. Sure the odds are greater of that happening than a win, but no one should give up without a fight! That's why they play the game. 0-4 is probable this year yes, but 2-2 or 3-1 or even (gulp) 4-0 is possible! Likely? Nope. But come on.

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Maybe not to you and other fans.

It is to the men at One Bills Drive , I can guarantee that.

So by that rationale you think Mcbeane gets a warm fuzzy with Peterman leading us to the playoffs this year? Yeah me either 

My strategy would be to let Peterman start the first 4-5 games. If we pu new Olineman after this weekend's cuts, they'll need a little time to settle in. I agree with the majority of fans that JA needs to play a majority of this season. Just get the Oline better set before we put him in there. Getting him hurt early on does nothing for his development. 

5 hours ago, dneveu said:

They won't have their #1 CB for the game or their 1st round pick.  Their offense doesn't impress me honestly, but their defense will be a pain to run on.  Since they have a stout D-line and solid LBs - I like the peterman start because i think the game plan will dictate spreading the field a bit more to try and take advantage of matchups. 

Jimmy Smith being out means nothing for them.  They've prepared for his yearly injury through the draft.  Their offense is more of a mystery this year.  They can run the football.  They finished 11th last year without two of their best OL in Yanda and Lewis, both are healthy.  I really think this will be a bad game for us honestly.

37 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Jimmy Smith being out means nothing for them.  They've prepared for his yearly injury through the draft.  Their offense is more of a mystery this year.  They can run the football.  They finished 11th last year without two of their best OL in Yanda and Lewis, both are healthy.  I really think this will be a bad game for us honestly.

They added some receivers too so maybe flacco won't be as bad this year too.  Collins just doesn't jump out at me. 

7 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm just really really hoping that McDermott doesn't do some thing where we don't find out the starting qb every week until Sunday at 1pm. That'd be super McDermott-ie

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what will happen.  He will bleed this out until Wednesday of next week.

5 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

My thought process is Wentz started his rookie year, went 7-9 with a 79 passer rating and threw something like 18TDs to 14 interceptions.   He was learning on the job and the following year he was playing like an MVP quarterback.  You could see year 1 that he was progressing, but was making the rookie mistakes, that really accelerated his learning curve IMO.

Problem is do people in WNY have the patience for a 7-9 season while Allen learns on the job?    

This scenario is 100000x better than watching Peterman

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

Jimmy Smith means a TON to that defense. The numbers do not lie. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Jimmy Smith means a TON to that defense. The numbers do not lie. 

In general he does.  I'm just saying they prepared for his yearly injury by drafting CBs.  Humphrey quietly had the 2nd best pass defense percentage of rookie CBs last year sitting between Lattimore and Tre

6 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

My thought process is Wentz started his rookie year, went 7-9 with a 79 passer rating and threw something like 18TDs to 14 interceptions.   He was learning on the job and the following year he was playing like an MVP quarterback.  You could see year 1 that he was progressing, but was making the rookie mistakes, that really accelerated his learning curve IMO.

Problem is do people in WNY have the patience for a 7-9 season while Allen learns on the job?    

No matter which QB they play, I think 7-9 is mighty optimistic.  There are serious weaknesses in both the OL and WR positions.  TE looks OK, but no star there and RB should be in good hands if McCoy remains healthy and isn’t suspended.

Edited by OldTimer1960