Cover 1 Buffalo Bills Roster Projection: Tight Ends

Buffalo Bills Roster Projection: Tight Ends

With just a few days remaining until the Buffalo Bills are required to trim their roster from 88 players to 53, a surprising position battle rages on.

Although the wide receivers have garnered most of the offseason attention among fans and the media, the tight end position has been just as intriguing. With six players currently scattered across the roster at the position, the Bills will need to make at least two, if not three, cuts in order to trim the depth chart before the end of Saturday. Here’s a look at each player’s status heading into the preseason finale against Chicago:

Predicted TE depth chart: Clay, Thomas, Croom, Lee
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Have to say I’m pretty happy with our TEs.  Imo, it’s about as talented of a group as we have had in a long time.  A good player is going to get released.  I think Jason Croom Pegula is safe.  Tonight, I think Logan Thomas and Nick O’Leary (he’s related to the actor Jack Nicholson!) are playing for their spot.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Have to say I’m pretty happy with our TEs.  Imo, it’s about as talented of a group as we have had in a long time.  A good player is going to get released.  I think Jason Croom Pegula is safe.  Tonight, I think Logan Thomas and Nick O’Leary (he’s related to the actor Jack Nicholson!) are playing for their spot.

I think you are correct...i never understood the fan's love of O'leary beyond the fact he was Jack Nicklaus's grandkid, not Jack Nicholson

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think you are correct...i never understood the fan's love of O'leary beyond the fact he was Jack Nicklaus's grandkid, not Jack Nicholson

It’s funny because my opinion has been the opposite. O’Leary seems to catch the ball when they throw it to him. Clay, on the other hand, not so much.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CLTbills said:

I don't think the production we get from Clay is worth the cost. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get cut and they keep O'Leary

I just feel they would rather have him on the team instead of paying him $9 million to leave.

He will probably get less plays than previous years.

I expect him to be gone next year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s funny because my opinion has been the opposite. O’Leary seems to catch the ball when they throw it to him. Clay, on the other hand, not so much.

No not really opposite opinion, Clay has had terrible hands, had 5 drops last year  but they are NOT cutting him so I dont even think it is in the discussion.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

22 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I don't think the production we get from Clay is worth the cost. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get cut and they keep O'Leary

Clay isn’t getting cut. We don’t save any money by doing so. The reality is Clay has been our best TE and one of our more productive receivers.

40 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

They'll all be sorry when O'Leary uses his Uncle Jack's axe from 'The Shining', and goes medieval on their asses.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

The bills think Logan Thomas is a better blocker

Personally I think Jason Croom is about to blow up.....that would be a good thing

Clay has been disappointing. I like Croom & O'Leary. Thomas or Lee get cut. None of them are great blockers.

Clay and Croom to me are the locks.  O'Leary has been a nice story but I think his status will come down to whether the coaches want the steady hand or potential (Thomas/Lee).

Also, I don't think it's been mentioned, but did you know O'Leary plays without gloves?

Edited by co_springs_billsfan
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Clay has been disappointing. 

Disappointing based on expectations related to his contract.   But since he now holds a Bills record--three consecutive years of 500+ yards from the TE position--I'd say he's been reasonably productive...

1 hour ago, Starr Almighty said:

I like Nick O over Logan T. What am I not seeing?

...thought Logan looked pretty good vs Bengals with, I believe three catches.....he'll never make Gunner Bill's Christmas list, but I'd like to see him make the club....

1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

Clay dropped a 5-yard pass in a preseason game and he's going to get cut. When do the real games start?

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Gant. McKeller, and Metzalars- the cupboard has been bare for decades.  This is the deepest group I can recall

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Gant. McKeller, and Metzalars- the cupboard has been bare for decades.  This is the deepest group I can recall

I love tight ends (?).  It’s embarrassing how we have neglected them.  They are such mismatchs.  Hopefully our qbs can make use of them because our wrs aren’t that good plus we need the extra blocking.