Trump Wants To Regulate Google

But will they learn?

FTC votes to approve $5 billion settlement with Facebook in privacy probe

The Federal Trade Commission voted this week to approve a roughly $5 billion settlement with Facebook that could end an investigation into its privacy practices, according to a person familiar with the matter but not authorized to speak on the record, a deal that could result in unprecedented government oversight of the company.

The settlement -- adopted with the FTC’s three Republicans supporting it and two Democrats against it -- could end a wide-ranging probe into Facebook’s mishandling of users’ personal information that began more than a year ago.

The FTC’s $5 billion punishment against Facebook sets a new record as the largest penalty ever assessed against a tech company that broke a past promise to the government to improve its privacy practices. The matter from here rests in the hands of the Justice Department, which typically must finalize FTC settlements, though DOJ rarely has upended them.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Dave Eggers book, "The Circle" becoming more and more true by the day.

I you haven't read it, maybe you should.

I read it and thought it sucked.....badly.......as a book.  I almost stopped reading it 3 or 4 times as I found it trite and highly repetitive.  It was as if he had enough material for a short story and added 90% filler.  The movie was far worse.

With that all said, you are 100% right about the theme.  It was dead on.

5 hours ago, B-Man said:

Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley Demand FTC Investigate Big Tech Firms That Can ‘Sway Elections.’ 

“Never before in this country have so few people controlled so much speech.”

"Sway elections" is the key point here.  If you're arguing that Twitter, Facebook, etc. were used by Russia to sway the 2016 election, then allowing them carte blanche to censor political speech as they see fit is giving them unfettered power to likewise sway elections.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Facebook Bans St. Augustine Quote as 'Hate Speech'

by John Ellis

Original Article

The Director of Community Engagements for Massachusetts Citizens for Life claims that Facebook has labeled a quote by St. Augustine as hate speech. In a blog post, Domenico Bettinelli wrote, "Facebook has repeatedly banned a quote from St. Augustine every time I’ve posted it. And it’s not some fire and brimstone 'Sinners are going to hell!' quote, but in fact, quite the opposite."

Pulled from one of St. Augustine's homilies included in the Roman Catholic Church's official liturgical books, the offending quote is this:

Let us never assume that if we live good lives we will be without sin; our lives should be praised only when we continue to beg for pardon. But men are hopeless creatures, and the less they concentrate on their own sins, the more interested they become in the sins of others. They seek to criticize, not to correct. Unable to excuse themselves, they are ready to accuse others.

{snip}

One of the interesting things about all this is found in Bettinelli's conclusion, in which he confesses:

As a conservative, I’m biased against government intervention into free enterprise. But I also recognize that sometimes regulation and legislation are necessary to protect the rights of citizens against the agendas of certain groups of people or corporations. I’m starting to lean toward the necessity of the US government regulating social media firms as public utilities. Because Big Brother isn’t just from the government any more.

That conclusion is where I'm at. It's becoming harder to ignore the evidence that Facebook is deliberately shutting conservative Christian voices out of the public dialogue. 

8 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Let us never assume that if we live good lives we will be without sin; our lives should be praised only when we continue to beg for pardon. But men are hopeless creatures, and the less they concentrate on their own sins, the more interested they become in the sins of others. They seek to criticize, not to correct. Unable to excuse themselves, they are ready to accuse others.

Post reported to SDS as hate speech.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Media, biased! 

Scientists? Biased!! 

FBI, biased!! 

Courts? Biased!! 

The internet?? Yes, even the internet is against you guys, lol. 

Conservative victimization is a scream! We are being picked on, blah blah! 

28 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Facebook Bans St. Augustine Quote as 'Hate Speech'

by John Ellis

Original Article

The Director of Community Engagements for Massachusetts Citizens for Life claims that Facebook has labeled a quote by St. Augustine as hate speech. In a blog post, Domenico Bettinelli wrote, "Facebook has repeatedly banned a quote from St. Augustine every time I’ve posted it. And it’s not some fire and brimstone 'Sinners are going to hell!' quote, but in fact, quite the opposite."

Pulled from one of St. Augustine's homilies included in the Roman Catholic Church's official liturgical books, the offending quote is this:

{snip}

One of the interesting things about all this is found in Bettinelli's conclusion, in which he confesses:

As a conservative, I’m biased against government intervention into free enterprise. But I also recognize that sometimes regulation and legislation are necessary to protect the rights of citizens against the agendas of certain groups of people or corporations. I’m starting to lean toward the necessity of the US government regulating social media firms as public utilities. Because Big Brother isn’t just from the government any more.

That conclusion is where I'm at. It's becoming harder to ignore the evidence that Facebook is deliberately shutting conservative Christian voices out of the public dialogue. 

I posted this picture to Facebook (from one of your posts) and it was taken down.

Screen-Shot-2019-07-11-at-11.26.52-PM.png?resize=459%2C600&ssl=1

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

My favorite is how they've appropriated TDS and turned it into Trump Defender Syndrome. :lol:

Can't even be original with acronyms. 

3 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

My favorite is how they've appropriated TDS and turned it into Trump Defender Syndrome. :lol:

If the shoe fits ... 

How can the people who claim to be the moral majority and support this sexist and bigoted buffoon 100% of the time? 

That is the fitting definition of the Trump Defender Syndrome.  

IF you are that thin skinned ...  Stay off of the Internet 

Just now, KRC said:

Can't even be original with acronyms. 

No time for originality. They need to attack him and they need to do it now! He has taken the ability to reason away from so many otherwise reasonable people.

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If the shoe fits ... 

How can the people who claim to be the moral majority and support this sexist and bigoted buffoon 100% of the time? 

That is the fitting definition of the Trump Defender Syndrome.  

IF you are that thin skinned ...  Stay off of the Internet 

:lol:

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 5:41 PM, /dev/null said:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/kazakhstan-government-is-now-intercepting-all-https-traffic/

How long til somebody proposes a similar measure in the US.  Because you know, protect against hate speech or something

What makes you think we don't do that already?

But what happens next, after the data is processed and catalogued by the agency is little understood. Programs such as Einstein will provide NSA with the ability to read and decipher the content of email messages, any and all messages in real-time.

While DHS claims that “the new program will scrutinize only data going to or from government systems,” the Post reports that a debate has been sparked within the agency over “uncertainty about whether private data can be shielded from unauthorized scrutiny, how much of a role NSA should play and whether the agency’s involvement in warrantless wiretapping during George W. Bush’s presidency would draw controversy.”

https://www.globalresearch.ca/big-brother-is-watching-you-pervasive-surveillance-under-obama/14249

This was what we were doing 10 years ago.