Trump Wants To Regulate Google

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

ummm... perhaps i am living in an alternate reality, but here... Net Neutrality was repealed.

ETA: oh comically... i get it after a re-read.

:)

The dumb Net Neutrality law was repealed, which restored the prior net neutrality guidelines.  The FTC got its powers back.

I do not want to lift the search engine land graphic, but if you click this article, you can see a search breakdown from February of this year.  Google controls 89.5% of all searches from that month (it will change month-to-month) via google, google images, and youtube. (I must say I have trouble believing the google image percentage, and the low Pinterest percentage.)

That is a whole lot of influence. And as they keep buying up competitors, their influence grows.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I do not want to lift the search engine land graphic, but if you click this article, you can see a search breakdown from February of this year.  Google controls 89.5% of all searches from that month (it will change month-to-month) via google, google images, and youtube. (I must say I have trouble believing the google image percentage, and the low Pinterest percentage.)

That is a whole lot of influence. And as they keep buying up competitors, their influence grows.

Google IS for all intents and purposes a monopoly, and there's a long history of breaking up monopolies.

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Fortunately it hasn't metastasized yet.  

That'll happen when they start pushing ads to your desktop.  

I'm just waiting for my boss to provide a work computer for my home office. Some stuff I need windows for on my home PC (work-wise). Once that need is made irrelevant, I'll be looking for a distro.

Taking suggestions from the uber-nerds here.

Edited by joesixpack

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

I'm just waiting for my boss to provide a work computer for my home office. Some stuff I need windows for on my home PC (work-wise). Once that need is made irrelevant, I'll be looking for a distro.

Taking suggestions from the uber-nerds here.

Ubuntu's probably the best there is...although I prefer the KUbuntu flavor.

Used to like Scientific Linux, but I found their upkeep of it to be spotty.  My all-time favorite was probably Mandrake, but they've discontinued it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

So?  China is sovereign, and has their own laws and regulations, and companies that want to do business in China have to abide by them.

Never understood the constant whining about companies in China having to follow Chinese law that isn't American law.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

So?  China is sovereign, and has their own laws and regulations, and companies that want to do business in China have to abide by them.

Never understood the constant whining about companies in China having to follow Chinese law that isn't American law.  

Racist

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Google motto: "Do no evil... except in China or when we're paid enough to"... isn't very reassuring to customers at home.

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

But shouldn't stop people from reminding them that they're hypocrites of the highest order.  

Just now, GG said:

But shouldn't stop people from reminding them that they're hypocrites of the highest order.  

They're a business.  They want to do business.  In China.  That's not hypocritical.  That's business.

Supporting a "free and open internet" while selectively suppressing search results to promote an agenda...that's hypocrisy.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DC Tom said:

They're a business.  They want to do business.  In China.  That's not hypocritical.  That's business.

Supporting a "free and open internet" while selectively suppressing search results to promote an agenda...that's hypocrisy.

No, not for the business practices, but for holding countless company town halls, setting up crying rooms and reassuring the scared workers that they will stand up to the evils that Trump's America will unleash on the downtrodden .... yet work hand in hand to help a surveillance state that imprisons and tortures people who voice a differing opinion. 

Brin's grandparents should smack him with wet blanket for insulting the memory and the sacrifices that people made to get his sorry ass out of their **** hole country.  

• Like (+1) 1