Why is nobody discussing the offensive line?

BigDingus

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

Like I've been saying, you got to get Bodine out of that lineup. Ducasse sucks as well. at this point I'd like to see Groy at Center and let's bring that Teller kid up to play guard.

As a long time Bengals fan I absolutely agree. The best that can be said for Bodine is that he's a very durable liability.. He might not play hurt often, but he'll always be a liability. It's one of those league-wide mysteries, how certain players can keep on playing as starters.. I suppose you have to chalk it up to the over-abundance of really bad players.

Edited by allpurpose

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

AJ didn't just hurt himself... Allen hasn't been playing against 1st team defenses going up against our porous line. 

People always look at parts of the picture instead of the whole thing. Sure, Allen isn't playing with the 1's... but let's not pretend our 1's are world-beaters or something. We're not throwing him in with a loaded team like we had when Orton took over for EJ, or the Cowboys inserting Dak behind a powerhouse line with great playmakers at skill positions... 

We have a pretty good, injury-prone WR, a great but older RB, and a notably worse O-line than last year, when last year was already a significant step back from the prior season. Let Allen look good in PRESEASON against backups and guys trying to make the roster. Give him time to build confidence and learn. The last thing he needs is to get thrashed around, then running for his life feeling he needs to win it on his own and end up getting lost for the season. 

OL sucks.  

But what you just wrote only makes the case to start Allen stronger.  He’s more mobile and bigger to deal with the OL break downs and has the arm strength to make throws to get out of trouble.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...well they did open a ton of holes for Shady, right??...........

I’ll probably get slammed for this , but Shady just looked slow and disinterested last night. There was a play where his blocker was engaged and all he had to dovwas take it to the outside probably for 10 12 yards but he cut back into traffic and gained about 3. The Cleveland backs just looked much quicker, maybe he’s lost a step....

The level of denial about the quality -- or more correctly, lack of quality -- of the Bills OL in this thread is amazing.  What excuse comes next, boys and girls?  Since we've already had the BS about playing "vanilla" schemes in preseason, when is the second favorite excuse for OLs -- "the OL needs time to gel" -- make its appearance?  Preseason game 3 I expect.

All the coaching and game planning in the world isn't going to turn a collection of busts, never-weres, and never-will-bes into a starting caliber NFL OL.

1 minute ago, nucci said:

You're an old time guy.....Jim Ringo?

...LOL...THE center.....good Lord how much the game has changed bud....he was 232 lbs.....1/3 LESS than Wood or Groy......hell weren't some of the JILLS 205+??....:thumbsup:...j/k.....

"He is best known as a coach for creating the dominant Bills offensive line of the early-mid '70s, called the Electric Company, in support of running back O.J. Simpson. He returned to Buffalo as the Bills offensive coordinator and offensive line coach in 1985. He held the positions until his retirement after the 1988 season. "

9 minutes ago, Fred Clause said:

I’ll probably get slammed for this , but Shady just looked slow and disinterested last night. There was a play where his blocker was engaged and all he had to dovwas take it to the outside probably for 10 12 yards but he cut back into traffic and gained about 3. The Cleveland backs just looked much quicker, maybe he’s lost a step....

...slammed?...because of your observation and assessment?......sad if so.....maybe last night was the "Iverson mantra"......

4 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

With our current oline, Murphy’s style will suit us better than shadys. 

....McD's halftime interview about this kid was his typical "watchin' a can of Benjamin Moore dry"...when asked about Murphy, "Ben" quipped, "he did make a couple of nice plays and a nice play on ST, BUT it's too early to tell".....seriously Sean?....damn kid just CONTINUED what he has been doing and NOT even a half kudo?......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

My assessment last night was Dawkins had a bad night against a stud DE, Ducasse has always blown, and Bodine was inconsistent.   Groy played well again, Miller had a very good game and Mills was stable.  I believe most of the time, Dawkins will be fine, but I have no idea what we do with LG.

There are no free agents out there so maybe we get lucky when cuts to 53.  Beane has a penchant for finding gems from castoffs.

1 hour ago, JaxBills said:

Both sets of starters were still on the field when Allen came on.  Pocket awareness was vastly different.  AJ just stands there.  Allen's TD would have been a sack with either other QB in.

I complained about the free rushers Allen was facing too.  He could just deal with it.

McCarron holds on to the ball too long. Tyrod could get away with it because he was a MUCH faster runner.  The Browns treated McCarron like teams would Tyrod - Make him throw the ball - sack!

Allen came in and (yes he was rushed) got the ball out quick. Do THAT a few times and the defense has to back off some.

In all fairness Nate Peterman ALSO gets the ball out quicker than McCarron.

One more thing - I just re-watched last nights game and I did not see any play that would lead me to believe that AJ could have been hurt or injured. Looked like some fairly routine type sacks. Allen took some brutal sacks though.

All that said, our O-Line SUCKS and the only way (other than getting better players) is not giving the defense enough time to attack.  IMO 

Edited by cd1

Don't care how good Josh Allen looked yesterday, don't care how well he plays in the next 2 games. No team in there right mind should risk their future franchise QB behind that mess we have put together as an offensive line

2-3 of those players wouldn't even be in the NFL had it not been for the Bills for some reason still sticking with them. Beane has failed to address the Oline for the 2nd offseason in a row and its showing in preseason (and training camp). 

Look, we aren't going to win many games this season, lets stop being delusional. This is a rebuild year. It isn't worth risking the future of your team just to win a few games. Let Peterman start and go from there. 

Edited by Yeezus

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

So which is it?  The OL from Game 1 that had some schemed motion and chip blocks and kept everyone upright OR the OL from Game 2 that was vanilla and had some missed assignments?

Groy played Center the 1st game and Bodine played the 2nd.  The starters remained in for the 1st half EXCEPT Bodine who was pulled the last series (field goal)

for Groy. 

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

It's true they looked good in the 1st game. They were so bad last night I forgot about it! How is that possible? Sure the opponents differ but come on.

And for the OP,  the O Line is discussed in all the threads I've looked. 

See above.  I separate run and pass blocking when watching OL play.  Last night the pass blocking was very bad.  Josh Allen covered that up with

his athleticism.  If anyone wants, look at the 1st JA touchdown pass.  NP or AJM would of been sacked on that play but JA turned it into a score.

While this gives ammo for starting JA (which is looking more and more possible) the pass blocking is going to be a problem this year.

7 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

My assessment last night was Dawkins had a bad night against a stud DE, Ducasse has always blown, and Bodine was inconsistent.   Groy played well again, Miller had a very good game and Mills was stable.  I believe most of the time, Dawkins will be fine, but I have no idea what we do with LG.

There are no free agents out there so maybe we get lucky when cuts to 53.  Beane has a penchant for finding gems from castoffs.

I agree with everything you said except about Mills.  He didn't look good to me in pass blocking.  I seen on multiple plays where he looked confused

as to who was blocking who and didn't touch anyone. 

I just finished watching the OL in the 1st half and this is what I seen so far.  I'm going to watch the second half now.

So, after Peterman gets destroyed behind “this Oline” because he’s not very mobile and takes much longer than Allen to get the ball out, what do we do then?

Right.  Then we play the guy who should have been playing all along, the rookie, because he is the only QB we have that can flourish in this offense.

• Like (+1) 1