Why is nobody discussing the offensive line?

BigDingus

AJ didn't just hurt himself... Allen hasn't been playing against 1st team defenses going up against our porous line. 

People always look at parts of the picture instead of the whole thing. Sure, Allen isn't playing with the 1's... but let's not pretend our 1's are world-beaters or something. We're not throwing him in with a loaded team like we had when Orton took over for EJ, or the Cowboys inserting Dak behind a powerhouse line with great playmakers at skill positions... 

We have a pretty good, injury-prone WR, a great but older RB, and a notably worse O-line than last year, when last year was already a significant step back from the prior season. Let Allen look good in PRESEASON against backups and guys trying to make the roster. Give him time to build confidence and learn. The last thing he needs is to get thrashed around, then running for his life feeling he needs to win it on his own and end up getting lost for the season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 2

Just now, BigDingus said:

AJ didn't just hurt himself... Allen hasn't been playing against 1st team defenses going up against our porous line. 

People always look at parts of the picture instead of the whole thing. Sure, Allen isn't playing with the 1's... but let's not pretend our 1's are world-beaters or something. We're not throwing him in with a loaded team like we had when Orton took over for EJ, or the Cowboys inserting Dak behind a powerhouse line with great playmakers at skill positions... 

We have a pretty good, injury-prone WR, a great but older RB, and a notably worse O-line than last year, when last year was already a significant step back from the prior season. Let Allen look good in PRESEASON against backups and guys trying to make the roster. Give him time to build confidence and learn. The last thing he needs is to get thrashed around, then running for his life feeling he needs to win it on his own and end up getting lost for the season. 

To the contrary, there are active threads discussing both Ducasse and Dawkins so I don't think anyone is overlooking the OL. 

• Like (+1) 1

With the way this OL is he's going to play sooner or later this year anyway.  Peterman cannot extend plays and will be a sitting duck.  He has a weak arm.  It's not a good recipe at all.  Bad OL, weak arm QB who cannot extend plays but will have to run for his life.  Peterman doesn't need another 5 INT game.  It's a major possibility if the OL plays like it did last night.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

With the way this OL is he's going to play sooner or later this year anyway.  Peterman cannot extend plays and will be a sitting duck.  He has a weak arm.  It's not a good recipe at all.  Bad OL, weak arm QB who cannot extend plays but will have to run for his life.  Peterman doesn't need another 5 INT game.  It's a major possibility if the OL plays like it did last night.

...well they did open a ton of holes for Shady, right??...........

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

In your world we lose a couple of winnable games until the oline gets Peterman killed.  then we bring in Allen and get him killed.  

In my world, seeing the whole picture, I realize that Allen is far stronger, quicker and faster, and much more able to make do with the sad sack line than j peterman.

The Browns brought alot of pressure last night in the 1st team series. This is a product of not game planning. While I think the o line needs to improve prior to the regular season, I also don't think they'll be as bad what it looked like last night 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So which is it?  The OL from Game 1 that had some schemed motion and chip blocks and kept everyone upright OR the OL from Game 2 that was vanilla and had some missed assignments?

It's true they looked good in the 1st game. They were so bad last night I forgot about it! How is that possible? Sure the opponents differ but come on.

And for the OP,  the O Line is discussed in all the threads I've looked. 

6 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Allen's athleticism can help make up for blocking deficiencies, as evidenced by his TD pass last night. He's not a statue back there. 

The OL is def a problem, but...

Like you said, he is alot more athletic/mobile than most give him credit for. He moves around pretty well (footwork isn't always pretty), but some of what we lost with Tyrods departure, Allen can make up for.

Besides that, the thing I think gets most overlooked (and also evident on that TD), is how fast his release is. I saw on Soul and Science  they said his release was faster than Brady. I didn't believe it. Now I do. Once he decides to throw the ball, it's GONE.

21 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So which is it?  The OL from Game 1 that had some schemed motion and chip blocks and kept everyone upright OR the OL from Game 2 that was vanilla and had some missed assignments?

....Airhorn Greggy was a genius and Daboll had no answers......oh boy.......knowing that Greggy would certainly bring pressure, going vanilla made perfect sense...ask McCarron....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

38 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Both sets of starters were still on the field when Allen came on.  Pocket awareness was vastly different.  AJ just stands there.  Allen's TD would have been a sack with either other QB in.

I complained about the free rushers Allen was facing too.  He could just deal with it.

29 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm sure McDermott told Daboll to tone back the offense from game 1, concerned that they were showing too much. They're still tinkering and evaluating. Ducasse was rough, Dawkins didn't play to his standard. 

2 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

I'm sure McDermott told Daboll to tone back the offense from game 1, concerned that they were showing too much. They're still tinkering and evaluating. Ducasse was rough, Dawkins didn't play to his standard. 

In both games free rushers was coming from the left to.  If I heard #56 was unblocked one more time against Carolina....?

Every fan base cries about their OL. By now, we should understand these behemoths are actually highly skilled, talented football players vs the ‘Bouncers off the street’ so many infer. There isn’t a single NFL OL player that doesn’t deserve the rare prestige of being on a final NFL roster -if only for continued evaluation. 

Its all about scheme and acquiring OLmen with skill sets best suited to it. If, as suggested, Dabol plans different schemes week to week, then the jury is out on how well this novel approach may work. 

Are Defensive Ends & Linebackers better athletes and trimmer body styles than OL? Of course. Therein lies the challenges of protection and initial hole run blocking tactics. Just because we don’t know these guys like we knew Wood, Incog & Glenn (with all their detractors) doesn’t mean Bubba & Jimbob from the corner gin mill can step in and be better. 

Its ALL about scheme fit.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Every fan base cries about their OL. By now, we should understand these behemoths are actually highly skilled, talented football players vs the ‘Bouncers off the street’ so many infer. There isn’t a single NFL OL player that doesn’t deserve the rare prestige of being on a final NFL roster -if only for continued evaluation. 

Its all about scheme and acquiring OLmen with skill sets best suited to it. If, as suggested, Dabol plans different schemes week to week, then the jury is out on how well this novel approach my work. 

Are Defensive Ends & Linebackers better athletes and trimmer body styles than OL? Of course. There in lies the challenges of protection and initial hole run blocking tactics. Just because we don’t know these guys like we knew Wood, Incog & Glenn (with all their detractors) doesn’t mean Bubba & Jimbob from the corner gin mill can step in and be better. 

Its ALL about scheme fit.

This.  

Aside from maybe 3-4 teams, every other team has to “make it work” on the OL. Nobody is trotting our 4-5 stud linemen week to week. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Also going overlooked by the OP is the fact that all through training camp I’m pretty sure McCarron took more sacks than Peterman and Allen combined.  

While he certainly wasn’t getting help from the OL, it’s not as if he does then any favors with his lack of quick decision making.

Also not sure what game you were watching, even though Allen didn’t have Myles Garrett in his grill, he definitely saw his fair share of pressure and did a better job handling it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

I don't think anyone is forgetting the O-Line...it's being discussed here

• Like (+1) 1