Trent Murphy - Should we be worried?

wppete

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

GOOD point and I apologize for the oversight......with Murphy, would you categorize $10+ mil guaranteed as a lower cost gamble, especially with his ACL AND PED suspension?....now with the nagging groin injury, we may get zero return on the gamble...

This. Nobody cares about the money paid to him, the concern is dead cap space on a player whose availability was a concern before we even signed him.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

This. Nobody cares about the money paid to him, the concern is dead cap space on a player whose availability was a concern before we even signed him.

ND Irish 1978?......I went out there in 1976 to see ND vs. Pitt......Dorsett ran wild in the ND loss, 31-10......TD went 61 yds off tackle to "the house"....close to 200 yds for the day...and Montana was on IR...dammit.......

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

GOOD point and I apologize for the oversight......with Murphy, would you categorize $10+ mil guaranteed as a lower cost gamble, especially with his ACL AND PED suspension?....now with the nagging groin injury, we may get zero return on the gamble...

Agreed.

I don't think beane is big on crazy splash signings, but I do think he'd open the pocketbook for a guy like mack/donald if they were available, especially with a defensive minded coach in McDermott

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Dead cap after this year is only $3.5 million.    No big deal...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I wonder if he will ever be healthy enough for us to judge if this was a bad signing or not.

By bad contract you mean a 1 year prove it deal they can easily walk away from at the end of the year right?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

Anytime a starter has trouble staying healthy it is cause for concern. I was looking forward to seeing what Murphy can do so I hope he is healed by the start of the season. 

...good point...if he was penciled in as a starter and some of the youngsters in camp did not show up as they have, where would we me with $10+ mil guaranteed for a bad groin?...my "bad groin" would only cost $1.57

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hopefully the emergence of Shaq in his 3rd season will be a safeguard if Murphy can't perform to the level of the contract he was signed to. 

This is spot on.

Shaq played well last game and if he's solid again tonight I think we will all be a little less concerned.  Having said that, it would be nice to see what Murphy can bring. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Definitely concerned but not to a large degree...yet

The signing alone lit a huge fire under Shaq so we should be okay until he's cleared to play by the staff. McD was saying if it were up to Trent, he'd be giving it a go with the type of player he is, and they just have to err on the side of caution with an injury as tricky as this one. 

It'd be one thing if it were another knee injury or substance violation, but it's something new, so bringing up his past instances seems irrelevant. 

Come week three or four if he still isn't at least practicing, that'd be a major red flag

2 hours ago, wppete said:

We really haven't seen anything from Trent Murphy in Camp or in the first preseason game. He is coming off a very bad knee injury and a PED suspension. Now it seems like he has a groin issue that is keeping him off the field. Should we start to be concerned if we don't see him in the pre season games? Should Bean seriously look into trying to get Khalil Mack if possible? 

Yes there is cause for concern to be missing so much time with a nagging injury and his injury history.  Worse yet, groin injuries can linger and easily reaggrivated if not fully recovered.

However, Shaq has been the silver lining.  He has made the most of the opportunity and coming on strong, so while I am still excited about Murphy’s potential, I am not too worried as I am really liking what I am seeing from Shaq right now and looking forward to see what a motivated and better prepared Shaq can keep doing out there.  In fact, would be great if Shaq won the job and we can bring Murphy off the bench to help mitigate his injury risk.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes there is cause for concern to be missing so much time with a nagging injury and his injury history.  Worse yet, groin injuries can linger and easily reaggrivated if not fully recovered.

However, Shaq has been the silver lining.  He has made the most of the opportunity and coming on strong, so while I am still excited about Murphy’s potential, I am not too worried as I am really liking what I am seeing from Shaq right now and looking forward to see what a motivated and better prepared Shaq can keep doing out there.  In fact, would be great if Shaq won the job and we can bring Murphy off the bench to help mitigate his injury risk.

...good call 'Dawg about the Shaq kid......surprised Murphy's PED hiccup fit "the process"....interesting.............

• Like (+1) 1