We Learn A Lot About Allen When He Plays the Browns

Shaw66

It's an important game.  If he plays well he will still be in the mix to start the season.  

Hot seat was a poor choice of words, but it is an important preseason game for all of our QB's.  Next week is the all important dress rehearsal, so a good showing tomorrow will put someone in position to start that one. 

5 minutes ago, billspro said:

If you read between the lines. Everything McDermott and Beane have said points to Allen starting preseason game 3 if he plays well tomorrow night and starting opening day if he plays well in preseason week 3.

What have they said that leads you to believe that?

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Allen's on the hot seat against the Browns.   We find out something about how he handles pressure.

What pressure?    Well, like everyone, he wants to be a starter.   He's on a track that would permit him to be a starter.   He probably can't win the starting job against the Browns, but he definitely can lose it.  

Going into the first preseason game, he knew where he stood.   Beane said it - if he plays well enough, he'll get first and second team reps.   If he shows he's not ready, he'll stay with the third string.   The pressure was on, and he responded nicely.   He followed up with a good but not great showing in training camp, running with the 2s and occasionally with the 1s. 

Now it seems likely he'll play with the 2s against the Browns, and maybe first come into the game when some of the 1s are still on the field.   It will all be on the line.   If he plays well, it's quite possible he'll force McDermott to give him a shot by giving a lot of first team reps in practice next week.   Ideally, of course, you give your presumptive starter the first-team reps, because the third preseason game is typically the dress-rehearsal game - starters go the first half, maybe into the third quarter.   But if Allen is good enough against the Browns, McDermott either has to declare him the starter and give him ALL the first-team reps, or decide that he has a real competition going on with Allen and one of the other two.  Then he has to split the first-team reps in practice, split the time in the third preseason game and postpone the decision about the starter and the dress rehearsal to the fourth game.  

Allen isn't stupid.   He knows his shot at starting is on the line.   It will be interesting to see if he's up to the challenge.  

Agreed, but don’t discount McCarron. He’s a competitive guy and he’ll bring his A game.

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

What have they said that leads you to believe that?

I wouldn’t say it’s one thing they have said. Just a combination of observing how they handle the reps and listening to interviews. We will find out if I’m right if Allen has a good game with the twos.

Allen looked so incredibly calm in his first game in the NFL.  To me, that was the most impressive thing I saw.  No happy feet and it just seemed he was in control of the moment.  I watched every pass he threw 4 times and it was amazing how he calmly steps up in the pocket (4 times) and how he knows when to run (4 times, 2 would be sacks).  

I tallied 13 good passes with 2 drops out of 19 attempts.  3 first down throws and 2 first down runs.  

i think they will all have a good game. i don't think the rotation thing at qb is so much as to who starts the season,( i think they already have that planned out), but more so as to get and honest look at guys on the roster. particulary the offensive side where they can give guys a chance to perform behind all 3 and thereby giving them a total view of some skill position players.

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Allen looked so incredibly calm in his first game in the NFL.  To me, that was the most impressive thing I saw.  No happy feet and it just seemed he was in control of the moment.  I watched every pass he threw 4 times and it was amazing how he calmly steps up in the pocket (4 times) and how he knows when to run (4 times, 2 would be sacks).  

I tallied 13 good passes with 2 drops out of 19 attempts.  3 first down throws and 2 first down runs.  

but the running backwards thing and heaving it into traffic?....or taking that helmet to the chest? i'm sorry but this is about winning games starting week one and not week 6. he ain't ready.

8 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

but the running backwards thing and heaving it into traffic?....or taking that helmet to the chest? i'm sorry but this is about winning games starting week one and not week 6. he ain't ready.

Running backwards?  He was under immediate attack and got away.  He slipped when he spun away and then re-gained his footing in which time he should have thrown it away.  It was his only bad decision.  He may not be ready but it's not for those two weak things you mention.  Don't bore me with this is about winning week one as if Peterman and McCarron are inherently more ready to win.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

What don't we know?   You think he doesn't care if he's the starter this season?

Or do you think whether he's the starter this season DOESN'T depend on how he plays tomorrow night?

I think both points are beyond doubt.  

Of course Allen wants to start. And I’m sure he’s putting pressure on himself to earn the job as quickly as possible. That doesn't mean there is any external pressure on him to be the starter right away. That’s what “hotseat” implies. 

I mean, he may be on YOUR hotseat; you may be one of the innumerable people here that has unreasonable expectations for this kid right away. But Allen isn’t on THE hotseat, meaning the people that matter (his coaches, teammates, the GM) aren’t expecting him to be lights out right away and run away with the job.

Edited by JoPar_v2

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Allen's on the hot seat against the Browns.   We find out something about how he handles pressure.

The problem is, I expect him to be running for his life all night due to extensive blitzing by the Browns, making it hard to judge his progress.   

With it being a nationally televised game, Gregg-o is going to want to show off and get a bunch of sacks against second and third sting OL who've not game planned for it.    It will make the national media say "What a genius!" and "Look, Allen's a bust!" which is a win-win from their perspective...

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, cd1 said:

Essentially, I think Shaw is saying that we will get to see how Allen plays under (his own) pressure.

Allen knows that THIS is the chance that Beane and McD spoke of IF he played well in preseason ONE.

McD and Beane are NOT putting pressure on the kid!  They say they will bring him along SLOWLY.

ALLEN will be playing tomorrow night under HIS OWN PRESSURE.

Less is more, a silent hammer.

great cliff notes ? 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

The problem is, I expect him to be running for his life all night due to extensive blitzing by the Browns, making it hard to judge his progress.   

With it being a nationally televised game, Gregg-o is going to want to show off and get a bunch of sacks against second and third sting OL who've not game planned for it.    It will make the national media say "What a genius!" and "Look, Allen's a bust!" which is a win-win from their perspective...

This is a great point and probably the most accurate prediction that has ever been posted here. Gregggg will definitely try to do this, in between mugging for the hard knocks cameras and trying to score more free ****.

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

As I said, it means A LOT to him.   His chance to start this season depends on his play tomorrow night.  

I disagree, he’s doenst care if he’s the week 1 starter.  He’s focused on being the best he can be, learning and trusting the coaches on when he is ready.  Allen at no point has ever once referenced being the starter, preparing to be the starter, etc.  his only focus is on getting better each day and not on how to move up to the top of the depth chart.  

So I just don’t agree with your assessment of what his focus is on.  It’s his 2nd showing, pressure is going to be on because he just wants to keep playing better than the week before, not because he is  worried about winning the starting job.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I disagree, he’s doenst care if he’s the week 1 starter.  He’s focused on being the best he can be, learning and trusting the coaches on when he is ready.  Allen at no point has ever once referenced being the starter, preparing to be the starter, etc.  his only focus is on getting better each day and not on how to move up to the top of the depth chart.  

So I just don’t agree with your assessment of what his focus is on.  It’s his 2nd showing, pressure is going to be on because he just wants to keep playing better than the week before, not because he is  worried about winning the starting job.

I kind of want him to be wanting to be the starter though. He is saying all the right things but inside I want him to be desperate to beat these guys out and prove he is the man. It isn't vital that he is the starter week 1.... but I think he should want to prove that he is. 

Like it or not the media will proclaim who is the better QB drafted after seeing Mayfield and Allen in the same game.  Just like the announcers got a chubby when Barkley ripped his first run in an NFL game.....the learning curve is way different for every rookie so let's relax and enjoy the show!

I think "hot seat" was probably not the best choice of words to describe Allen's situation.  I'd characterize it more as an "opportunity" to show the coaches he's ready for more responsibility.  I agree with @Shaw66 that we can reasonably conclude Allen would really like to be the starting QB sooner rather than later, but I also think Allen understands there's a lot he doesn't know yet and is willing to be patient if that's the decision the coaches make.  He has the chance to make that decision a lot more difficult with the decisions he makes tonight.

The "pressure" is much greater on McCarron and Peterman, in my opinion.

I think OP is right when he suggests that if Allen plays well again v the Browns then he starts next week and if he plays well again with the 1st team in the most important pre-season game then he probably wins the starting job. 

First thing's first he needs to show out tonight v the Browns and then we'll re-assess again.

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Have the other two QB's referenced being the starter?  Nope.  

Why?

It's because our head coach teaches not to say much to the media.  He preaches,  I'll communicate to you openly and you can back to me.  No need to put things outside the team.   They trust him and none of them are making claims.  

I find it impossible to believe Allen doesn't want to and doesn't care if he's the starter,  as you state as fact.