Allen should start with #1's

Just now, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Of course they're further ahead.  But Allen needs to play some in the preseason with the first team offense.  I have a feeling he will.

That's doesn't make sense.  AJM and NP are battling for the start, they need to give AJM the start next week, and after that game decide who their regular season starter is.  Allen is not starting material, why give him time with the 1's?  Can't waste #1 reps like that in a QB battle.

Allen was off the charts. He had a couple rookie mistake type of throws, but was mostly very impressive in terms of arm strength, accuracy, ball placement, and decision making aggressiveness. McCarron looks like a serviceable game manager in the meantime. We finally have a QB on the roster who can keep the D on their heels.

22 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Allen is a lot further away from the other 2 QBs then I expected. I was very impressed with Peterman and Mccarron. Allen looked like a green rookie with a lot of raw ability and very little polish. Every day at camp, people are acting like Allen is right there...he’s not. And that’s okay. I can’t see Allen playing all season. Keep the competition going with AJ and Peterman. 

Amazing because I feel the exact opposite. Allen seemed much closer to the other 2 than I was expecting. He was very quiet in the pocket with a lot of pressure around him and made great throws. The game was definitely not bigger than him which was my biggest fear. Plus, obviously he made 5-6 throws that the other 2 can not physically make. Allen may not be ready, but it won't be long. The thought of him starting with Shady behind him and KB as the #1 WR is special.

Edited by Bills Pimpin'
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bills rookie Josh Allen shows off electric arm in debut

Josh Allen took the field to a chorus of cheers and nearly sent Buffalo's New Era Field into paroxysms of excitement on his first preseason pass.

Entering Thursday night's game after halftime, the Bills' first-round draft pick promptly dropped back on a play-action pass and unfurled an effortless 60-yard bomb that led rookie receiver Robert Foster just a step out of bounds for a loud incompletion.

Allen unleashed a tantalizing sequel early in the fourth quarter, stepping up in the pocket on third-and-22 with a deep rainbow that would have gone for a 62-yard touchdown had it not been just out of the reach of Foster's outstretched hands. Foster not been too much of a kitty to dive for it.

Fixed.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Not really. A couple miscommunications where he thought the receiver was running a different route. A couple bad decisions. A lot of plays where the receivers and line did nothing to help him. I'm happy with his performance overall all things considered.

Tyrod??

I know it wasn't pretty at times but Allens potential and natural ability pops off the screen , I'm officially excited about him , I've been on the fence but I was very impressed what I just witnessed... He's very raw but we got a freakin Souped up , one of a kind Ferrari in the Garage!!!

The ease of his throws looks second to none in this league..

His ball placement on these throws are ridiculous. Not many QBs can put the ball there.

He's extremely difficult to get down and had overall strong pocket presence.

He's way more agile and quick than I thought. 

He might get the red shirt but boy his talent is rare in many areas. He's got the IT factor..

This is what I expected in his first game, and I am happy with his progress. The accuracy wasn't horrible. That throw between the defenders was special and I can see how people can easily get caught up admiring his physical gifts. I honestly think we might have something with Josh, I have no problem letting AJ or (Dare i say) NP start while Allen develops more. 

27 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I agree.  But I am a little worried Peterman is fools.gold in the preseason.  He looks great because he makes quick throws.  Against vanilla defenses with wider windows that works well for him.  My worry is when defenses tighten up his arm strength issue will show itself again.

I rewatched that TD drive and I agree with this. It wasn't as impressive the 2nd time around. I've defended Peterman as much as anyone on this board but the velocity just wasn't there by my eyes. There's a litte more separation in preseason so he can get away with it.

Peterman played very well. It's inarguable. It's also inarguable that all Peterman showed was what he does well. We knew all this already. He's very good, and his fans overvalue, the idea that he can drop back and throw a 10 yard pass. He had one very nice rollout play, his best of the game, where he made a great pass to KB who made a great catch on the sidelines. 

But Peterman has two glaring fatal flaws and he did zero in this game to alleviate the worry. He doesn't handle a strong rush well, and he doesn't get the ball downfield, and he doesn't have the arm strength. He didn't do one thing to disprove his downfall. Actually he stared down his receivers a lot, and his INT was well behind the intended receiver.

McCarron showed better than Peterman. He did a lot of things QBs have to do to succeed in this league. He delivered the ball downfield. He went to his second and third reads. He stepped up in the pocket excellent. He was steady and yet still got the ball downfield.

if you're a coach, the most impressive QB on the field, regardless of stats, was Allen. He showed all kinds of talent in ten different QB qualities. He was mostly great against the rush. He scrambled and ran great. He threw the ball downfield. He should have had two complete bombs. His TD was ridiculous. He even showed touch. For his first game, with guys like Foster, who !@#$ed him several times (and I hoped was going to make the team but was awful), Allen was very, very impressive. He should be playing.  

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I rewatched that TD drive and I agree with this. It wasn't as impressive the 2nd time around. I've defended Peterman as much as anyone on this board but the velocity just wasn't there by my eyes. There's a litte more separation in preseason so he can get away with it.

I watched it again as well and feel the same way, but it may look decievingly slow immediately after watching Allen throw it 20 times.