Not so flattering write-up on Ray Lewis and the NFL

Heavy Kevi

https://amp-si-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/amp.si.com/nfl/2018/08/04/ray-lewis-hall-fame-weekend-atlanta-murders?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#amp_tf=From %1%24s

Very interesting read where the writer basically asserts that the NFL has proven willing to cover up (or ignore/obstruct the truth) issues of their stars.

Kind of hard to argue with his assertion. It's not even really a "hit piece", but more of an article meant to bring these practices to light. This particular writer describes his experiences reporting this story for years and the intimidation and roadblocks he faced just trying to get the story.

I don't think this is particularly controversial, but is something I feel like most football fans may be interested in reading.

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

If Ray actually did do the crime I bet there’s a good chance in his head he doesn’t even believe it.  I mean if your protected that much...

I agree with your take. I personally would take the time too meet the POS anywhere he chooses to just read him this article. then leave.

Because it's doubtful  he would read, or hear it any other way. No one in his world will ever bring anything about  the tragedy. He's been through the drill before. Interesting TO gets hammered and maybe deserves some of it for his attitude. And Lewis gets in on the first ballot.Eff him. 

• Like (+1) 1

Any individual with a PR department or publicist does this.

Humans are all very flawed creatures; and celebrity attempts to white wash these flaws for monetary and power reasons.

This is the case with all organizations, governments, etc.

I'm not sure why people are so surprised by this kind of thing.

I suspect that the victims are still dead, so the questions live on. 

I don’t know all the details here, but I was quite surprised top see him bounce back as a public figure - and the face of anything good. 

19 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

I agree with your take. I personally would take the time too meet the POS anywhere he chooses to just read him this article. then leave.

Because it's doubtful  he would read, or hear it any other way. No one in his world will ever bring anything about  the tragedy. He's been through the drill before. Interesting TO gets hammered and maybe deserves some of it for his attitude. And Lewis gets in on the first ballot.Eff him. 

The Ray Lewis/TO comparison is interesting.  There's certainly a case to be made that there are crimes/personalities the NFL is ok with, and others they're not.  

Edited by stony

The funny thing is that every time I see Ray Lewis speak, he comes across as self righteous and usually works Jesus into the mix, pretty quickly.

He strikes me as a psycho who truly believes he did nothing wrong, even though he almost certainly did.

I enjoy watching football players play football on a football field.  Any other context and I don't really want to know they exist.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I suspect that the victims are still dead, so the questions live on. 

I don’t know all the details here, but I was quite surprised top see him bounce back as a public figure - and the face of anything good. 

Really to become the pinnacle of nfl moral superiority somehow. He’s the god fearing uber motivating and ultimate teammate with the murder as not even an asterisk but is a footnote to a footnote to a special edition limited print of the book on his career. It’s anazing how his reputation has so little hint of it for many fans.

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

Everyone has skeletons in their closet.

Define skeletons? Cause I definitely have some things I’m not super proud of but none of the murder variety.

Sharpe told Lewis that the families of the slain men find it difficult to see Lewis idolized by millions of fans, believing he knows more about the killings than he shared, and asked what he had to say to those families. Lewis responded, "God has never made a mistake. That's just who He is, you see.... To the family, if you knew, if you really knew the way God works, He don't use people who commits anything like that for His glory."

That's the foundation for his religious beliefs and he'll continue evangelizing as a way to suppress the memory and emotions of that night.

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Define skeletons? Cause I definitely have some things I’m not super proud of but none of the murder variety.

Literal skeletons.

I'm not sure what's worse:  The NFL protecting Ray Lewis or a writer acting like him and his ilk are some kind of moral compass.  The mass media has ruined far more lives than the "voice" they've supposedly given the "voiceless".  If I was ever in a situation where something bad happened and I wasn't anything more than a bystander, the very last thing I'd ever do is talk to anyone in the media. 

I'm not saying Ray Lewis is innocent - I have no idea what happened that night and I haven't read much about it.  But I've seen enough bad journalism in my life to not trust much of what's actually published.

49 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm not sure what's worse:  The NFL protecting Ray Lewis or a writer acting like him and his ilk are some kind of moral compass.  The mass media has ruined far more lives than the "voice" they've supposedly given the "voiceless".  If I was ever in a situation where something bad happened and I wasn't anything more than a bystander, the very last thing I'd ever do is talk to anyone in the media. 

I'm not saying Ray Lewis is innocent - I have no idea what happened that night and I haven't read much about it.  But I've seen enough bad journalism in my life to not trust much of what's actually published.

I don't look at the media as a moral compass nor any other kind of compass.  I read or listen occasionally to what's in the media and make personal judgements.  Most often I just take the information with a heavy dose of salt and leave it at that.  The weight of the continuing sensationalism is tiring to be sure.  I think one unintended consequence of Trump's election is to "out" the media for what it truly is: First and foremost a business that carefully selects the "products it puts on the shelf for sale." 

Caveat emptor

19 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

https://amp-si-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/amp.si.com/nfl/2018/08/04/ray-lewis-hall-fame-weekend-atlanta-murders?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#amp_tf=From %1%24s

Very interesting read where the writer basically asserts that the NFL has proven willing to cover up (or ignore/obstruct the truth) issues of their stars.

Kind of hard to argue with his assertion. It's not even really a "hit piece", but more of an article meant to bring these practices to light. This particular writer describes his experiences reporting this story for years and the intimidation and roadblocks he faced just trying to get the story.

I don't think this is particularly controversial, but is something I feel like most football fans may be interested in reading.

This starts in high school and continues through college, minor/development leagues and the professional level of all sports.

The level of importance that the U.S. (generally speaking) places on sports success boggles my mind.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This starts in high school and continues through college, minor/development leagues and the professional level of all sports.

The level of importance that the U.S. (generally speaking) places on sports success boggles my mind.

You are very much on point here.  Think about the high school “star” who was “helped” by classmates in the form of cheating on tests.  The sad reality here is that for every Ray Lewis there are hundreds of other athletes who were improperly given help, breaks or passes.  In many cases, such help probably did more harm.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

There are kids who haven’t reached HS who are “offered scholarships.” We put a tremendous amount of pressure on kids at a very young age & the feting begins as soon as son or daughter make an elite squad.

• Like (+1) 1