Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 7

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

It does look like AJ is the starter, which is fine, but we also have to realize that while he might be better in the RZ due to experience and skillset, between the 20's he won't command the respect that Allen does. All that to say that good, mistake free football is fine, but hopefully Allen get's up to speed by mid-year.

It would be surprising to me if Robert Foster hasn't earned a spot on this roster. The kid plays. 

I dont know about this. Bunch of reports have said Foster has made some plays, but keeps double clutching catches and has made some bad mistakes. Many say Cam Phillips is the rookie WR to watch out for. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PaattMaann said:

I dont know about this. Bunch of reports have said Foster has made some plays, but keeps double clutching catches and has made some bad mistakes. Many say Cam Phillips is the rookie WR to watch out for. 

Hm, I haven't seen those reports. 

I don't know much about Phillips, does he have speed? Right now (especially if they want to start Allen sometime this year) we need someone who can push the defense. 

Just now, whatdrought said:

I don't know much about Phillips, does he have speed? Right now (especially if they want to start Allen sometime this year) we need someone who can push the defense. 

Joe B, Sal and Thad Brown all mentioned him yesterday (negatively) 

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Nope he is more of a Stevie Johnson type. He has been the most reliable target on the third team by far.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It needs to be.  Need to start getting the starter taking all first team reps.

I bet you after the first preseason game is when things will be all but decided. We need to see our guys in live game action. 

I reaaallllyyyy hope this is not another qb who has all the power in the world for the long ball and does not have accuracy for the short ball. I could never understand why the last few qbs Buffalo has had are sooooo freaking bad at the short throws. It seems that everyday I am reading about Allen missing on these.....

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I reaaallllyyyy hope this is not another qb who has all the power in the world for the long ball and does not have accuracy for the short ball. I could never understand why the last few qbs Buffalo has had are sooooo freaking bad at the short throws. It seems that everyday I am reading about Allen missing on these.....

On 7/30/2018 at 9:48 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

How Bills QB Josh Allen is trying to fix his short-throw issues

PITTSFORD, N.Y. – Josh Allen knows his critics are out there. He just doesn’t know, or care, what they say about him.

He does know, however, why he struggles sometimes on shorter throws, and what he has to do to correct it.

In an interview with Postmedia following the Buffalo Bills’ fourth practice of training camp at St. John Fisher College, the 6-foot-5 237-pound cannon-armed rookie went there, in some detail.

Allen is well aware that it's an issue for him and he's working diligently to correct it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Tremaine Edmunds: "Trying to Get Better" (1:16)

Linebacker Tremaine Edmunds spoke to the media following practice on Thursday topics include; another successful practice, creating turnovers, and his growing confidence in learning the defense.

3 things to know from Day 7 at Bills camp

1 - Separation at QB?

2 – Offensive line developments

3 – Pair of LBs and WRs making plays

Various media outlets have been making a lot of hay over the number of sacks our QBs have taken, especially McCarron, with a lot of criticism going towards him for holding onto the ball too long. That's been a little surprising to me as Cincy's O-line was near the bottom of the league last season. But, I still have to wonder how much of this problem is on our O-line in TC? 

Early indications point to AJM starting the season which I expected. I just hope he’s not a newer version of Trent Edwards. I have zero confidence in Peterman at this point. Hopefully JA continues improving and takes the reigns at some point in the season.

With Murphy’s injury history, no way do I throw in the towel on Lawson. Still young and basically in year two due to injury.

Was hoping Teller might push Vlad as he’s a weak link on the OL. 

This is an unique year as if this team exceeds expectations, they really have a great opportunity to add playmakers and depth to the roster next year. Something we haven’t been able to say or do for years!

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Allen is well aware that it's an issue for him and he's working diligently to correct it. 

That's a pretty big issue if our O-line doesn't get it together. Still, I guess I'd rather have this rather than another Captain Checkdown.

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

All these qbs have some kind of knock on them. Hard to find a qb in the leave that that doesn’t. It looks like AJ is the man here which is not surprising. Probably best to keep Nate at 2 this year,  it’s hard to justify only having 2. I think Allen is showing he’s going to be something special and he’s not this lost cause people seem to want him to be, but he’s not ready yet.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Early indications point to AJM starting the season which I expected. I just hope he’s not a newer version of Trent Edwards. I have zero confidence in Peterman at this point. Hopefully JA continues improving and takes the reigns at some point in the season.

With Murphy’s injury history, no way do I throw in the towel on Lawson. Still young and basically in year two due to injury.

Was hoping Teller might push Vlad as he’s a weak link on the OL. 

This is an unique year as if this team exceeds expectations, they really have a great opportunity to add playmakers and depth to the roster next year. Something we haven’t been able to say or do for years!

I was just mentioning Captain Checkdown. I suppose the good news is that McCarron is used to working behind a lousy O-line. Still, what can we expect with such dismal combination of a crappy O-line, and an even crappier receiving corps?

Joe B: 7 observations from 2018 Buffalo Bills training camp - Day 7

(WKBW) - The Buffalo Bills have officially reached their first mini-break of training camp, where they'll head back to Buffalo for a Friday night practice at New Era Field, and then have a day off on Saturday. Before they journey back, first was their seventh practice of camp -- the lightest practice since the first two days of camp.

The Bills didn't work with the full gamut of pads on Thursday and also had a handful of players sit out the practice due to either rest or injury, but charged on nonetheless through Day Seven of camp.

Even so, some relatively big news hit right when the Bills went to team drills for the first time on Thursday. That, plus more, in my seven observations from Day Seven:

1) A significant day for McCarron?
2) Drops and sacks, sacks and drops
3) Cam Phillips keeps making plays
4) Did Ryan Groy get a leg up at center?
5) Washington answers back with a strong day
6) Another day, another Edmunds big play
7) Bills have a clear plan for Conor McDermott

Day 7 MVP: DT Adolphus Washington

- It was a significant practice for Washington who sorely needed a performance like this one. The big test will be if he can back it up with another great session on Friday.

Day 7 LVP: WR Ray-Ray McCloud

- McCloud struggled to separate and when he did have an opportunity to bring in a reception it went right through his hands. I even saw him muff a catch on a punt return ahead of practice starting -- which was not the first time it happened this summer. Both the rookie receivers, McCloud and Austin Proehl, need to step it up in the preseason games.

Up Next: Day 8 at New Era Field in Buffalo. Practice begins at 6:15 pm.

@WMDman Practice at New Era tomorrow to answer your question.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

He struggled with them in college. They were not a big part of his offense but he didn't execute them well when they were there. I thought there was progress the first few days of camp. Worrying if he has regressed again. 

I'm not all that sure that McCarron has pulled ahead.

I think it is just as possible that McDermott is trying a different approach to see if it will smooth out the offense.

Maybe 3 days McCarron, then 3 days Peterman, then ??? leading into the preseason game.

The QB that improves the most within his 'set', will have a leg up. 

We'll know soon enough.

Brandon Reilly: "My goal has always been to play on Sundays" (12:45)

Bills WR Brandon Reilly joined One Bills Live to talk about how training camp is going so far, last year on the practice squad, and his goals for this season.

AJ McCarron: "I'm focusing on the type of player, teammate and quarterback I need to be"(12:58)

Bills QB AJ McCarron joined One Bills Live from training camp to talk about the quarterback competition, working in a new offense, and his time in Cincinnati.

Austin Proehl: "I'm going to make the most out of every opportunity" (13:11)

Bills WR Austin Proehl joined One Bills Live to talk about his first preseason in the NFL, the wide receiver battle, and the influence from his father Ricky.

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yeah, this is gonna be a rule that hurts the game. Its all judgement calls. A runner is allowed to have his head down to supplement contact, but if its a micro-second before contact by the defense, its a personal foul. I understand the idea, but this is as grey as it gets....bad form by the NFL

• Like (+1) 1

McCoy gives high praise to Edmunds as rookie shines on Thursday

There’s no way you can avoid noticing Tremaine Edmunds at Bills training camp.  Even at just 20 years old, the 6’ 5” rookie linebacker towers over other players in the huddle, especially his fellow linebackers and defensive backs.  But Thursday morning, it wasn’t just his size that made the Virginia Tech product stand out amongst his peers.  It was his play.

Twice Edmunds was able to get his hands on the football in passing situations, with one resulting in an interception and the other a near-pick.  Both times it happened the quarterback on the other side was A.J. McCarron.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He struggled with them in college. They were not a big part of his offense but he didn't execute them well when they were there. I thought there was progress the first few days of camp. Worrying if he has regressed again. 

It's hard to graph such things on a 7 day chart. 

I think the fact that the short passes weren't a part of his offense in school is actually encouraging because it could mean he just needs to build familiarity. 

First time I've read through one of these camp reports. Man, that was painful. I really, really hope Josh Allen improves because for a guy that supposedly "rarely makes the same mistake twice" (think I read that about him recently) he really took a step back today, and heck, AJ & NP didn't look much better. I realllly hope this means we have an elite defense or something, but this is more likely the result of having a bottom 5 offense :(

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

When did he regress previously?  I haven't read anything to suggest he has regressed in any way, especially since it seems he really was never good at short throws to begin with.

Edited by ricojes

29 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It's hard to graph such things on a 7 day chart. 

I think the fact that the short passes weren't a part of his offense in school is actually encouraging because it could mean he just needs to build familiarity. 

And for those that don't participate in ANY sports, some days you're on, some days not so much.  Even Timmy Brady said so (as much as we all hate that guy)...

The short throws are obviously something that Allen has to work on, but man, we can't expect perfection every day - some days will be up, some down - let's just hope that the consistency comes through practice, pre-season, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

These three QB's are not making the coach's decision an easy one.  They have spurts of greatness followed by headscratchers.

That's because they are all mediocre talents, which at this level means inconsistency.

Hell, EJ threw some nice balls on occasion.  So did Tyrod. 

They can't do it often enough though.

20 minutes ago, Heitz said:

And for those that don't participate in ANY sports, some days you're on, some days not so much.  Even Timmy Brady said so (as much as we all hate that guy)...

The short throws are obviously something that Allen has to work on, but man, we can't expect perfection every day - some days will be up, some down - let's just hope that the consistency comes through practice, pre-season, etc.

I think the thing that makes people nervous is that is his scouting report since high school.  It’s been the scouting report of a few past Bills qb.  It’s a mechanic thing that is very difficult to fix, especially at the nfl level.  It’s Brady is Brady and a guy like Ryan Mallett is Ryan Mallett.

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, ricojes said:

When did he regress previously?  I haven't read anything to suggest he has regressed in any way, especially since it seems he really was never good at short throws to begin with.

Regressed as against the progress earlier in camp. Havent watched the Cover 1 breakdown of today yet. Will have a better idea once I have. 

1 hour ago, BobBelcher said:

First time I've read through one of these camp reports. Man, that was painful. I really, really hope Josh Allen improves because for a guy that supposedly "rarely makes the same mistake twice" (think I read that about him recently) he really took a step back today, and heck, AJ & NP didn't look much better. I realllly hope this means we have an elite defense or something, but this is more likely the result of having a bottom 5 offense :(

Well, it's hard to imagine we don't have a bottom five O-line, and a bottom five WR corps. Those are two things that are going to make it hard for these QBs to shine.