How's our guards looking?

Frez

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

The drought lives!

Do you even follow the reports?

I guess attempted humor isn't going over very well this week.

Yes, I follow reports. To my knowledge O-Line is still very much one of the weak links on this team. Run blocking has been good, pass blocking has been uninspiring. 

It was a joke and nothing more, but if you're pleased that they are maintaining their level of mediocrity that's cool.

Edited by billsbackto81

2 hours ago, Mickey said:

Sorry to hear that there is no real competition at the guard spots. A healthy roster with real depth usually does have some competition at least at this point in training camp. Alternatively, if the starters are just so good that they are firmly entrenched at the top of the roster then we are in good shape. Unfortunately, I don't think that is the case. The lack of competition is more likely due to the lack of depth than the superiority of the starters.

:lol:

Never found a bowl of cheerios you didn't like to piss in eh?

One thing we know about Johnny Miller is that he's inconsistent, but has played at a high level.  The famous stat on him is doubling his PFF score from mid thirties in his rookie year to a 77 in his second.   Then last year he couldn't crack the starting lineup, not sure why. 

Eric Wood had a nice tweet about him a few days ago "John Miller is a stud in 1 on 1's, when you have an anchor like that it's tough to lose"   Let's hope he has another up year.  Apparently Wyatt is slated to be RG backup to Miller this season.

Ducasse (also a 2nd round pick like Johnny) really seemed to improve his play as the season went on and will be the LG.  When I say "seemed to improve his play" , I'm basing that on what I read, not what I saw.  Other than isolated tackles it's hard to know whose assignments are what on the Oline.  What looks like a mistake by a guard could be a miscue from the center, etc.   

The biggest challenge this season to the Oline is that nobody is playing next to a person they did last year.  It's all new.   I thought Groy was going to be starting center but Bodine might win the job.  Groy has half a dozen starts, Bodine has like 35+ so maybe that's giving him an edge.  The word is Daboll's offense is going to be more similar to Roman's with that power offense and down blocking schemes.   We'll see !

3 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Mills is not an all-star by any means but he ranks out at 21 of the 50 ranked right tackles last year. Good run blocker and not so good against the speed rush as we know.  It may be harder to find a better available option than you think.  

"Not so good against the speed rush" is being kind.

Heard that Miller put a ton of work in the offset some to slim down and he has looked really good in 1 on 1 drills. Haven't really heard about the rest so. I would like to put Groy at LG and start Bodine at C. With Miller at RG. But doesn't seem that the coaching staff is willing to give Groy a shot at Guard even tho he has played it in the past.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Heard that Miller put a ton of work in the offset some to slim down and he has looked really good in 1 on 1 drills. Haven't really heard about the rest so. I would like to put Groy at LG and start Bodine at C. With Miller at RG. But doesn't seem that the coaching staff is willing to give Groy a shot at Guard even tho he has played it in the past.

it's puzzling to me why the coaching staff is not moving Gory to guard, or even seemingly considering it.  Perhaps they will.  

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

it's puzzling to me why the coaching staff is not moving Gory to guard, or even seemingly considering it.  Perhaps they will.  

Because Ducasse and Miller are better and have more game experience in there.  I think Groy will be the depth interior guy with Wyatt behind him.

I'm glad to see Miller back in the lineup. He played very well in 2016 but the system didn't suit him last season. From what I've read, Ducasse is better on the left side than the right so I guess that's a positive. The Groy/Bodine battle will be interesting. I know they've held onto Groy because he can play all three interior OL spots so he has a lot of value in that respect. But, if he beats out Bodine then I can see them designating Bodine to that spot. And if a guard gets injured, I can see them shifting Groy to G and bringing Bodine in at C. 

Newhouse will be the swing tackle, I think. I've read that Wyatt Teller is impressive in a physical sense but right now he's having some difficulty grasping the different schemes and protections. 

I think Boettger is kind of a utility guy.  He can play inside or outside.  Mo Porter is another young guy in the same boat.  I don't expect either one to do much of anything this year.  Maybe one of them will latch on to the PS with a chance to develop.  The flexibility to play both tackle and guard is a tremendous advantage for depth players.

Vlad starting at LG could be a season derailer.

He could be hidden at RG a little, but now he has to be a protector of an inexperienced QB's blindside. OUCH.

Bills fans everywhere hope that a kid like Teller can make the team, get it quick and be a quality starter. Is that too much to ask?

21 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Because Ducasse and Miller are better and have more game experience in there.  I think Groy will be the depth interior guy with Wyatt behind him.

I hope so.  Last year Groy never played, even during injuries.  He was "saved" as a backup center.  

And I'm not sure Ducasse is better than Groy.   Miller, yes, but I'd like to see Groy get more reps with the #1's at Guard.  

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I hope so.  Last year Groy never played, even during injuries.  He was "saved" as a backup center.  

And I'm not sure Ducasse is better than Groy.   Miller, yes, but I'd like to see Groy get more reps with the #1's at Guard.  

The "saving" guys for backup C really irritates me.  It is so stupid.  That said, the only time Groy has got on the field at G for us which was his first pre-season (Rex's second year) he really did not look good there. Looked much more natural at C.