How's our guards looking?

Frez

Haven't heard much chatter about our offensive line at the start of camp. Wonder if John Miller will get out of the dog house with our coaching staff this year?  Here's a look at our depth chart for guards. 

Vlad Ducasse    
  John Miller    
  Ryan Groy    
  Wyatt Teller    
  Ike Boettger

As per Cover 1 there is NO battle at either guard spot.  Vlad Ducasse is the starting LG, Marshall Newhouse has been the primary backup. John Miller is the starting RG, Wyatt Teller is the primary backup.  Bodine still seems to have a slight edge over Groy at C but Groy has closed that gap and is playing well, neither has rotated in at guard at all yet in camp.  

I think the only camp battle on the o-line is center.  I still feel in my gut that Groy ends up winning out - the guards are going to be Ducasse and Miller unless one of them majorly struggles in the pre-season games.  I am a little surprised that they are not using Teller on the left side with the idea of grooming him for that job longer term.  

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry to hear that there is no real competition at the guard spots. A healthy roster with real depth usually does have some competition at least at this point in training camp. Alternatively, if the starters are just so good that they are firmly entrenched at the top of the roster then we are in good shape. Unfortunately, I don't think that is the case. The lack of competition is more likely due to the lack of depth than the superiority of the starters.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

As per Cover 1 there is NO battle at either guard spot.  Vlad Ducasse is the starting LG, Marshall Newhouse has been the primary backup. John Miller is the starting RG, Wyatt Teller is the primary backup.  Bodine still seems to have a slight edge over Groy at C but Groy has closed that gap and is playing well, neither has rotated in at guard at all yet in camp.  

I think the only camp battle on the o-line is center.  I still feel in my gut that Groy ends up winning out - the guards are going to be Ducasse and Miller unless one of them majorly struggles in the pre-season games.  I am a little surprised that they are not using Teller on the left side with the idea of grooming him for that job longer term.  

When I went Saturday and Sunday, Groy started both days.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Sorry to hear that there is no real competition at the guard spots. A healthy roster with real depth usually does have some competition at least at this point in training camp. Alternatively, if the starters are just so good that they are firmly entrenched at the top of the roster then we are in good shape. Unfortunately, I don't think that is the case. The lack of competition is more likely due to the lack of depth than the superiority of the starters.

OR you could choose to look at it as being happy and glad there is no real competition at the guard spots because Vlad and Miller are locking those spots the F down.

I say the above statement truly and honestly. Going into camp I felt like you stated above, but seriously Vlad and Miller have looked like studs - woah woah woah, I get it, its four days into PRACTICE, but its a good sign that neither have struggled at all yet (in fact, Miller hadn't lost a single 1 v 1 until sunday, and hes still only lost 1, thats impressive!). 

Choose to see the positive and hope those two continue to have no problems at the guard spots, its best for our entire offense and team. 

• Like (+1) 1

With the limited pad work at this time it is really hard to gauge OL play. But 

Nice Bigs lanes being opened in the run game. 

And hearing good things about Miller (seems to be playing well as system fits him better) and Groy. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

No one's challenging Mills?

Conor McDermott has been the 2nd team RT as I understand it. Reports out there of him 'coming along' but I'd be stunned at this point if Mills isn't the starting RT at the Ravens (injuries permitting obviously).  

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

The bad news is that Mills is still the starter at RT.  But McDermott is his backup so hopefully it's just a matter of time...

Mills is not an all-star by any means but he ranks out at 21 of the 50 ranked right tackles last year. Good run blocker and not so good against the speed rush as we know.  It may be harder to find a better available option than you think.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Mills is not an all-star by any means but he ranks out at 21 of the 50 ranked right tackles last year. Good run blocker and not so good against the speed rush as we know.  It may be harder to find a better available option than you think.  

I think this is obvious given the fact he is STILL our starting RT 

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

I think we have to see some live action before there can be any real competition on the oline.   When you can't be physical because you aren't wearing pads what do you evaluate?    

who's not being physical? its full physical aside from 'take down tackling'. Have you been to any practices or seen any videos? the lines have been very physical. 1 v 1 work has been intense.

Yes when full pads go on and its "live" the intensity will ramp up. But its not like these guys are out here doing freakin' walk throughs. 

7 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

The Guards at Buckingham Palace have more life than these guys!

The drought lives!

Do you even follow the reports?

4 hours ago, Frez said:

Haven't heard much chatter about our offensive line at the start of camp. Wonder if John Miller will get out of the dog house with our coaching staff this year?  Here's a look at our depth chart for guards. 

Vlad Ducasse    
  John Miller    
  Ryan Groy    
  Wyatt Teller    
  Ike Boettger

From most accounts John Miller has been very good.

A poster who attended camp said that Wyatt Teller also looked very good as a run blocker especially.

Ducasse is a vet who was solid last season; I haven't read anything about his play falling off, so I'd imagine he's being his usual self at LG.