If you were an opposing DC how would you play Bills personnel?

KingRex

First off, looking at the personnel, my answer is that outside of Shady, none of them scare me so I play them straight-up (unless I have a clear weak player on my squad and force them to prove they can beat me.  If they do repeatedly or clearly then I might adjust.

Actually, even McCoy in no ways scares me like he did last year.  First off, last year's OL included a Pro Bowl quality vet center and though Incognito was one of the world's biggest jerks, this Pro Bowl quality G had tons of experience and pull like the best of 'em. 

I am watching closely as the new OC is an unknown wildcard, but even though the Bills have some interesting pieces to work with like vets Bodine or Ducasse or talented youngsters like Dawkins there not only is a clear talent downgrade on OL.  Even better for me as a DC, though its gonna take a few games before I have a sense of the Bills tendencies, its gonna take them a half season or so for the Bills to really learn their O and for the players to develop chemistry with each other.

Even better for an opposing DC is that though Tyrod had clear limitations as a deep ball passer and is not a risk taker for the most part, he was a definite asset the Bills running game who is now gone. An opposing DC  had things he could try to exploit in Tyrod's game, but there really is nothing I've seen in McC's or, Peterman's game that scares me at all.  Rag on Tyrod all you want but it is a foolish DC that does not adjust his D to account for TTs running ability and really extraordinary escapability as a QB. 

Shady is such a great runner any DC has to give thought to putting 8 or 9 defenders in the box.  However, the mere prescense of Tyrod's abilities tempts me to instead of using all my LBs to attack, I might assign one as a spy to shadow TT and I am drilling all my defenders to hit Shady hard when he has the ball, but they need to be sure its a running play because a pass play is never over as long as TT has the ball.

Given, the lack of a consistent threat mandating a dt at WR, the depleted OL, and the lack of a need to be afraid of any of our QBs I am happy to put 8 guys in the box and limit Shady as much as I can.

I'd also put 8 in the box.  Make the Bills prove they can throw.  And I'd rush the passer and play man on all WR's until the Bills can throw.  McCarron and Peterman are bad with pressure (sacks v. INT's) and Allen is a rookie.  

That said, our WR's could surprise, and after getting burnt perhaps a few times, the D coordinator would need to change.  But until then, I'd run this type of D.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

I'd also put 8 in the box.  Make the Bills prove they can throw.  And I'd rush the passer and play man on all WR's until the Bills can throw.  McCarron and Peterman are bad with pressure (sacks v. INT's) and Allen is a rookie.  

That said, our WR's could surprise, and after getting burnt perhaps a few times, the D coordinator would need to change.  But until then, I'd run this type of D.  

This^ while playing press man 

• Like (+1) 1

Simulated pressures, disguised coverages, zone blitzes, nickel and dime packages on 1st down sending corner blitzes.   Get a rookie's head spinning early on and usually things fall apart from there.  

McCarron, i'd play much differently.  He knows enough to make you pay when you pressure.  I'd spy Shady all game long, he's too good not to.  I'd run a lot of stunts with my Dline and try to get that inexperienced oline in trouble.   

Overload one side of the line and put a spy on (or double) Shady to guard against the cutback. If you can put pressure on McPeterAllen and guard against Shady's cut, you can shut down our offense. 

I don't believe, with the current personnel, we could overcome that. 

I hope I'm wrong and Daboll has some sorcery cooked up, but this year looks like it could be a long one for the offense.

I am interested in seeing Peterman as well because of several factors from his starting debacle last year.

1. I thought one of the worst things in how McD and the braintrust managed Peterman's start last year was that they announced the switch far earlier in the week than they were mandated to do under league rules.  By doing it the way they did they gave the opposing DC and SDplayers opportunity to gameplan and practice taking advantage of the rookie Peterman.

2. I also worry that Peterman and the O's performance in the game not only lower his self-confidence but his teammates confidence in him.  It seems clear to me that a lot of the media is only too pleased to anoint our next great hope as a definite starter before the player is ready and also to throw a failed player under the bus before its too early to do so.

• Like (+1) 1

If we all think we have the recipe to beat our offense, imagine what actual coordinators must be thinking. 

With that said, there’s always a chance someone could break out.  Nobody knew Colsten would emerge as Brees’ main target, until he did.  Or Tyreek Hill for KC.  Or Allen for Rivers.  The list goes on and on.  There are many examples of when a receiver broke out and came from nowhere.  Does that mean it will happen for us?  No, but it could and that’s where my hope lies.

• Like (+1) 2

I along with many other posters have shown Tyrod clearly not seeing open receivers while in the pocket.  I believe he's the worst passer from the pocket of any starting QB in the league.  He also gets sacked a ton and the misnomer is that it's because of the OL and receivers not getting open - at minimum that's been partially debunked.  

He's an amazing athlete and his backyard style while maintaining minimum risk is of course Taylor's strength.   However D coordinators were not fearful of him leaving the pocket and they still brought the pressure without sacrificing a spy.   They knew under pressure he would leave the pocket prematurely.  We saw that as a net positive because he often did his best work on the run without making huge mistakes.  D coordinators saw that as something limiting their risk because his overall production was contained and he'd often be willing to take a sack vs an interception.  He put himself into a box the D coordinators were all too happy to let him do.  

All coordinators want to get to the QB - it's our OL's job and O coordinator to make that difficult.  How they perform will have no relation to Tyrod Taylor not being here.  

1 hour ago, KingRex said:

First off, looking at the personnel, my answer is that outside of Shady, none of them scare me so I play them straight-up (unless I have a clear weak player on my squad and force them to prove they can beat me.  If they do repeatedly or clearly then I might adjust.

Actually, even McCoy in no ways scares me like he did last year.  First off, last year's OL included a Pro Bowl quality vet center and though Incognito was one of the world's biggest jerks, this Pro Bowl quality G had tons of experience and pull like the best of 'em. 

I am watching closely as the new OC is an unknown wildcard, but even though the Bills have some interesting pieces to work with like vets Bodine or Ducasse or talented youngsters like Dawkins there not only is a clear talent downgrade on OL.  Even better for me as a DC, though its gonna take a few games before I have a sense of the Bills tendencies, its gonna take them a half season or so for the Bills to really learn their O and for the players to develop chemistry with each other.

Even better for an opposing DC is that though Tyrod had clear limitations as a deep ball passer and is not a risk taker for the most part, he was a definite asset the Bills running game who is now gone. An opposing DC  had things he could try to exploit in Tyrod's game, but there really is nothing I've seen in McC's or, Peterman's game that scares me at all.  Rag on Tyrod all you want but it is a foolish DC that does not adjust his D to account for TTs running ability and really extraordinary escapability as a QB. 

Shady is such a great runner any DC has to give thought to putting 8 or 9 defenders in the box.  However, the mere prescense of Tyrod's abilities tempts me to instead of using all my LBs to attack, I might assign one as a spy to shadow TT and I am drilling all my defenders to hit Shady hard when he has the ball, but they need to be sure its a running play because a pass play is never over as long as TT has the ball.

Given, the lack of a consistent threat mandating a dt at WR, the depleted OL, and the lack of a need to be afraid of any of our QBs I am happy to put 8 guys in the box and limit Shady as much as I can.

if you don't you get fired...keep putting 8 guys "in the box" ( I hate that cliche) and see if opposing DBs don't get beat most of the time.....would you still put 8 in the box if we lined up 3 WRs and a TE in the slot?

2 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Stack 8 in the box 

Done

again, all the time? That's impossible and to think that Benjamin can't beat one-on-one coverage most of the time is ridiculous......you guys seems to think there is no talent on this offense...line up 4 wide and screens to McCoy....slants to Benjamin....Clay gets open often....

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, nucci said:

again, all the time? That's impossible and to think that Benjamin can't beat one-on-one coverage most of the time is ridiculous......you guys seems to think there is no talent on this offense...line up 4 wide and screens to McCoy....slants to Benjamin....Clay gets open often....

You're exactly right.   It's quite ridiculous to think that's all a defense is going to have to do against us.  

There's ways to make the defense change things up even if you don't have a prolific passer - as you've suggested.