Brandon Beane Interview: 1st Preseason Game Pivotal for Josh Allen in 2018

Bills GM: First preseason game could be pivotal for rookie QB Josh Allen

PITTSFORD, N.Y. – The Buffalo Bills’ first preseason game could serve as a Year 1 crossroads of sorts for rookie quarterback Josh Allen.

Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane told Postmedia on Sunday that the number of reps Allen gets in training camp thereafter could rise or fall, depending on his performance in that game against the Carolina Panthers a week from Thursday night, Aug. 9.

Allen, the cannon-armed No. 7 overall draft pick from the University of Wyoming, is battling fifth-year A.J. McCarron and second-year Nathan Peterman for the starter’s job.

• Like (+1) 1

That's exactly the way to do it. Throw the kid in the fire. If he has it under pressure, work with him and get him ready to start. If not, take it slow and ease the kid into the lineup when he's ready.  Give the frontrunner more reps because the O is going to take time to gel. By game 1 we need a consistent O that can move the flags, hit a big play or 2 and not  have to rely on the D to carry the team and win every game.

• Like (+1) 5

40 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

That's exactly the way to do it. Throw the kid in the fire. If he has it under pressure, work with him and get him ready to start.

Like Coach Marrone did with EJ. Last 2:00 of first half of first pre season with no radio. EJ responds with a TD drive culminating with a TD pass.  EJ starts first regular season game vs Patsies**.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Lurker said:

He better start getting more reps with the twos, then.    The third string is usually a tire fire in the first exhibition game...

The third string is usually a tire fire in the first almost all exhibition games...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Bills GM: First preseason game could be pivotal for rookie QB Josh Allen

PITTSFORD, N.Y. – The Buffalo Bills’ first preseason game could serve as a Year 1 crossroads of sorts for rookie quarterback Josh Allen.

Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane told Postmedia on Sunday that the number of reps Allen gets in training camp thereafter could rise or fall, depending on his performance in that game against the Carolina Panthers a week from Thursday night, Aug. 9.

Allen, the cannon-armed No. 7 overall draft pick from the University of Wyoming, is battling fifth-year A.J. McCarron and second-year Nathan Peterman for the starter’s job.

I kind of don't like this - not the idea that Allen's reps might rise or fall, but the idea that Beane is sticking his finger in the pie of a player's playing time, not just whether or not that player makes the 53 or the practice squad.

I mean, he's our traded-up #7 draft pick, we know he's going to make the roster.  Shouldn't McDermott be the one pronouncing on his trajectory?

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I kind of don't like this - not the idea that Allen's reps might rise or fall, but the idea that Beane is sticking his finger in the pie of a player's playing time, not just whether or not that player makes the 53 or the practice squad.

I mean, he's our traded-up #7 draft pick, we know he's going to make the roster.  Shouldn't McDermott be the one pronouncing on his trajectory?

I don't think it matters because I believe it's a plan that both Beane and McDermott have formulated along with Daboll and possibly Culley. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Shouldn't McDermott be the one pronouncing on his trajectory?

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't think it matters because I believe it's a plan that both Beane and McDermott have formulated along with Daboll and possibly Culley. 

Agreed. Beane and McD appear to have a shared vision, and either can probably tell us what's on the other one's mind regarding any personnel decision.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Try not to do this again with this regime too.  Of course he knows what the plan is with Allen - they must talk about him every single day.  

You'd rather what?  Him say, gosh guys I have no idea.  Those decisions are the coaches.  I don't stick my finger in that pie.

I'm impressed with this new GM Beane.

Whaley wouldn't have been able to explain the plan; his plan, their plan, or any plan.

Buddy Nix wouldn't have answered the phone.

Beane seems driven to build this team into a contender.

I'm starting to like the guy, even though he doesn't always draft who I want.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Nothing like putting the pressure on the young man from Fireball, Wyoming.  Beane is a hard ass (which, I suppose, is better than the half-baked GM who preceded him). 

Firebaugh...it's Firebaugh.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I dont think he is doing that. 

They have said all along they have a plan. I believe this is a rare honest moment where beane just shared part of their plan.  Im sure Josh already is aware of where they are going with this and beane was being honest.  It makes sense really, and i dont think this is Beane getting involved in playing time but Beane simply laying it on the table giving us a little insight.  

I like it

It feels like hes going to be the #2 at the least. Its not taking much to jump peterman. Aj is kindve the steady eddie right now.

If allen lights it up in the preseason its going to be hard not to play him

Im usually of the belief to play the kid right away. Im not sure exactly where i sit with that right now cause that way hasnt been great for us either. If they play him theyd better not yank him if he struggles

Edited by BillsSbSoon