Brandon Beane Interview: 1st Preseason Game Pivotal for Josh Allen in 2018

48 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

I dont think he is doing that. 

They have said all along they have a plan. I believe this is a rare honest moment where beane just shared part of their plan.  Im sure Josh already is aware of where they are going with this and beane was being honest.  It makes sense really, and i dont think this is Beane getting involved in playing time but Beane simply laying it on the table giving us a little insight.  

I like it

Fair enough.

• Like (+1) 1

It would have been interesting to see how Josh Allen does in the first preseason game even without Brandon Beane having made that comment.  I'm assuming he will play in that game with the 3s.  The dumpster fire comments not withstanding, I think these are kind of unusual circumstances in that apart from Shady, Kelvin and Charles Clay, all the skill positions look to be unusually fluid.  Who are the third string wide receivers?  Not Kelvin Benjamin - that much is established.  Maybe not Andre Holmes.  I'm not sure there's anybody else you could rule out, but a number of presumed depth players have already been with the ones in practice - Malachi Dupree for instance.  The way these receivers are moving up and down from day to day, I'm not sure the threes as a group are going to be all that much worse than some of the "better" receivers on the team.  I'm sure Allen won't be throwing to Charles Clay in the first preseason game, but with Nick O'Leary out with injury (he may or may not be back for the first preseason game) Probably Logan Thomas is second team, but Khari Lee is not all that green.  Jason Croom was in training camp last season and wasn't too bad.  There could be worse targets for a third string QB to have to throw to.  But the running back room actually has a fair amount of experience.  Everybody but Keith Ford has played in a NFL game, Cadet, Jones, and Murphy flor Buffalo (among the non-starters).  Keith Ford is actually a fairly promising UDFA, with good size and decent speed/quickness.

It's really the offensive line where things could be kind of ugly.  Redmond will be the center. Ike Boettger, Mo Porter, DeBeer, and Deondre Wesley are among those who could line up at tackle on third string.  Some of them could also line up at guard along with Wyatt Teller.  With the switching around they've done, they probably won't be a terribly cohesive unit.  The good news is Josh Allen played with a terrible offensive line his senior year at Wyoming.  He should feel right at home LOL.

6 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

It would have been interesting to see how Josh Allen does in the first preseason game even without Brandon Beane having made that comment.  I'm assuming he will play in that game with the 3s.  The dumpster fire comments not withstanding, I think these are kind of unusual circumstances in that apart from Shady, Kelvin and Charles Clay, all the skill positions look to be unusually fluid.  Who are the third string wide receivers?  Not Kelvin Benjamin - that much is established.  Maybe not Andre Holmes.  I'm not sure there's anybody else you could rule out, but a number of presumed depth players have already been with the ones in practice - Malachi Dupree for instance.  The way these receivers are moving up and down from day to day, I'm not sure the threes as a group are going to be all that much worse than some of the "better" receivers on the team.  I'm sure Allen won't be throwing to Charles Clay in the first preseason game, but with Nick O'Leary out with injury (he may or may not be back for the first preseason game) Probably Logan Thomas is second team, but Khari Lee is not all that green.  Jason Croom was in training camp last season and wasn't too bad.  There could be worse targets for a third string QB to have to throw to.  But the running back room actually has a fair amount of experience.  Everybody but Keith Ford has played in a NFL game, Cadet, Jones, and Murphy flor Buffalo (among the non-starters).  Keith Ford is actually a fairly promising UDFA, with good size and decent speed/quickness.

It's really the offensive line where things could be kind of ugly.  Redmond will be the center. Ike Boettger, Mo Porter, DeBeer, and Deondre Wesley are among those who could line up at tackle on third string.  Some of them could also line up at guard along with Wyatt Teller.  With the switching around they've done, they probably won't be a terribly cohesive unit.  The good news is Josh Allen played with a terrible offensive line his senior year at Wyoming.  He should feel right at home LOL.

Thanks for the look at the third team.  I don't know enough to have done this.  Interesting stuff. 

Perhaps the more important point is the opponent's third team defense probably looks as jumbled and of questionable talent.  So the play is messier, for sure, but the players, especially the qb, have plenty of opportunity to show what they can do.  Can Allen get in and out of the huddle? Can he move in the pocket and find the right target?  Can he throw accurately?  He is either doing those things or he isnt. 

Frankly, if think Beane was stating the obvious.  If he lights it up in the game, he is getting more reps.  If he throws two picks, he gets fewer.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

You’re thinking of Fresno State, not Fresno. And that’s nowhere near Fireball, WY. 

*eyeroll* not sure if you're trolling at this point. Yes, if I added 'State' to my sentence that would make it correct.

Do please google "Firebaugh California" and "Fireball Wyoming" and tell me the results.

You're right, of course, Shaw.  Nobody's third string is going to look polished.  I think offensive line is more dependent on cohesiveness than just about any other position on the team, which is why third string offenses often look so sloppy in preseason.

23 minutes ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

*eyeroll* not sure if you're trolling at this point. Yes, if I added 'State' to my sentence that would make it correct.

Do please google "Firebaugh California" and "Fireball Wyoming" and tell me the results.

Well, since you specifically asked - -

1.  Imagine what might have happened if they had named the town Blizzardburg:

http://abc30.com/news/fire-destroys-historic-department-store-in-firebaugh/1742809/

2.  I hope the kid lights it up, but If he bombs and gets cut, at least he'll feel right at home in the stands:

http://kingfm.com/5-tips-for-drinking-fireball-whisky-in-wyoming/

• Thank you (+1) 1

I love this quote from the interview.  It says something that A LOT of fans, and even media, don't understand -- namely, that the players know who should be starting:

BEANE: “You’ve got to be careful. Some people say, hey, don’t play a rookie at all. And some people say go ahead and play him no matter what. And I think the thing is you’ve got to be fair to the other – when you get your 53-man roster – the other 52 players. Because everybody wants to win now, including (head coach) Sean (McDermott) and I. And so they see the same practice. They watch the same practices, they’ll watch the same preseason games. And if you’re not putting the best guy out there I think they’re going to lose their respect for you. So our job is to put the best 53, or 46 on game day, that help us win that week.”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I love this quote from the interview.  It says something that A LOT of fans, and even media, don't understand -- namely, that the players know who should be starting:

BEANE: “You’ve got to be careful. Some people say, hey, don’t play a rookie at all. And some people say go ahead and play him no matter what. And I think the thing is you’ve got to be fair to the other – when you get your 53-man roster – the other 52 players. Because everybody wants to win now, including (head coach) Sean (McDermott) and I. And so they see the same practice. They watch the same practices, they’ll watch the same preseason games. And if you’re not putting the best guy out there I think they’re going to lose their respect for you. So our job is to put the best 53, or 46 on game day, that help us win that week.”

Beane is stating the obvious. What every player and coach is seeing now is that Allen is by far the most talented qb. What they are also seeing is that right now he is not the most ready qb. I don't think that many people doubt that before the season is finished that Allen will be the starting qb. My inclination is that it will be by the second half of the season. The timetable for playing Allen is more dependent on when he is ready more than how well (probably McCarron) the more experienced qb is playing. 

There is a delicate balance that the HC has to handle. He wants his team to be as competitive as possible but he also wants to take the best approach to get Allen ready to become the starter. What it comes down to is that the qb issue revolves around Allen and not the other qbs. We may not know who starts the season but we know how this qb scenario will ultimately play out this season. 

37 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Beane is stating the obvious. What every player and coach is seeing now is that Allen is by far the most talented qb. What they are also seeing is that right now he is not the most ready qb. I don't think that many people doubt that before the season is finished that Allen will be the starting qb. My inclination is that it will be by the second half of the season. The timetable for playing Allen is more dependent on when he is ready more than how well (probably McCarron) the more experienced qb is playing. 

There is a delicate balance that the HC has to handle. He wants his team to be as competitive as possible but he also wants to take the best approach to get Allen ready to become the starter. What it comes down to is that the qb issue revolves around Allen and not the other qbs. We may not know who starts the season but we know how this qb scenario will ultimately play out this season. 

If it was "obvious" then we wouldn't have folks predicting Peterman will start based upon a couple of good practices in shorts.  I don't think the average fan contemplates what the rest of the team (starters) are thinking when QB decisions are made -- that was my point.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

If it was "obvious" then we wouldn't have folks predicting Peterman will start based upon a couple of good practices in shorts.  I don't think the average fan contemplates what the rest of the team (starters) are thinking when QB decisions are made -- that was my point.

There is always a faction of people who predict different outcomes.  It is nearly impossible to get unanimity on any issue. There are still people who believe that Rex is a good coach! Those people who believe that Peterman is going to be starting based on his performances while in shorts are entitled to their opinion, even if it is a minority opinion.

It's not surprising that the starters want the qb who gives them the best chance to succeed. And that is how it should be. I'll even go so far as to make  claim that is the exact same way that McDermott and Beane see it. My point in the prior post is that the view as to who will start is not static. It is expected to change depending on Allen's preparedness as the season advances. That's simply my point.

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There is always a faction of people who predict different outcomes.  It is nearly impossible to get unanimity on any issue. There are still people who believe that Rex is a good coach! Those people who believe that Peterman is going to be starting based on his performances while in shorts are entitled to their opinion, even if it is a minority opinion.

It's not surprising that the starters want the qb who gives them the best chance to succeed. And that is how it should be. I'll even go so far as to make  claim that is the exact same way that McDermott and Beane see it. My point in the prior post is that the view as to who will start is not static. It is expected to change depending on Allen's preparedness as the season advances. That's simply my point.

Yeah, we're just talking around each other.  Mine was a simple point about how the decisions are (and should be) made; yours is that the decisions are not static and can/will change.

It's all good.

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, we're just talking around each other.  Mine was a simple point about how the decisions are (and should be) made; yours is that the decisions are not static and can/will change.

It's all good.

We don't disagree. Nuances are not fundamental disagreements. 

I'm attaching a link from WGR where Sal Capaccio talks about the qb situation and about Allen. The first half of the segment deals with the qb issue that we were discussing. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/07-30-sal-capaccio-howard-and-jeremy

To me that is not the best form of evaluation. Especially when there has been a growing debate on the importance of pre-season games all together.

Moreover, if Allen is going to run strictly with the third team, is that really the supporting cast/situation that will set him up for success?