So how is josh Rosen doing.

mead107

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You don't think the fact that Josh Allen was 6'3" and 180 lbs when he graduated HS may have had something to do with it?  He wasn't a physical specimen with a big arm and sky-high physical potential then, so he didn't draw the interest due to a big guy with a big arm and big physical potential.  Because he wasn't.

There's also the HS he played at.  Fact that even Zeke Elliot had slower recruiting and fewer offers than you might think an RB with his chops would have drawn, due to playing at a small college prep school in St Louis instead of a big "football powerhouse" school in Texas etc.   College recruiters simply did not have Firebaugh on their circuit, any more than they had John Burroughs School.  (Next RB out of there way less talented than Zeke, but got way more looks.)

You're right on about the "rural living doesn't automatically impart a better work ethic", but by all accounts Allen's folks are hard workers and expected their boys to pitch in.  Right on too rural areas are awful, awful for drug addiction and child abuse, in large part due to lack of opportunity and poverty.  Farming still relatively prosperous in Fresno County though.  Not like the gutted heartland here.

Also Heisman winner and #1 overall pick Baker mayfield only had 4 D1 offers coming out of HS

and only 1 major BCS offer (Washington State)

with Rice, florida Atlantic and New Mexico... quite the pickings 

14 hours ago, Doc said:

As for Reid being "one of the best developers of QB's," no, that's not correct either.  McNabb was the only QB he's ever actually had a hand in developing, but he was a 2nd overall pick so it's not like he was working with some no-talent nobody.  But while McNabb was a good QB, he will never be a HOF'er.  If you want to give him credit for Favre and the aforementioned Alex Smith, that dog won't hunt.

I dunno about a dog, but I think Reid deserves some credit for a couple QB.  Favre, no.  Reid was a low-level assistant and didn't become QB coach until Favre was established.

-McNabb had his doubters as a 58% completion college guy who ran on 1 out of 3 plays in college.  Reid figured out how to build around McNabb's strengths.

-Reid worked successfully with Vick, getting his 3 best seasons from him both in completion percentage and passing yards

-while Alex Smith arguably turned the corner to become a capable NFL QB under Harbaugh, there seems to be little question that he took a big step forward under Reid.  His TD/INT ratio, YPG, and YPA all took steps up as did his rushing abilities.  Part of this, as with McNabb and Vick, may be Reid designing a system to exploit Smith's strengths, but the "eyeball test" says that Smith became a more capable QB in KC.
-I think it deserves note that Foles was ready to abandon football after being jerked around by the Rams, and credits Reid with helping him return to form

Mahomes will be Reid's test case.

21 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Allen is from Firebaugh California... a farm town... he is a country boy

Allen being a country kid is not mutually exclusive from being from California. The state has mountains and deserts, grazing country, farm land, rivers, the ocean, alpine lakes (and more!). It is not just LA and the Bay Area. 

Viva Allen el Californiano!

Just now, NickelCity said:

Allen being a country kid is not mutually exclusive from being from California. The state has mountains and deserts, grazing country, farm land, rivers, the ocean, alpine lakes (and more!). It is not just LA and the Bay Area. 

Viva Allen el Californiano!

Obviously 

My point was most people who farm or grow up on farms have good work ethics 

They usually aren’t lazy

13 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

One takeaway from a recent interview with Beane was that they were desperate on draft day not to get stuck with Rosen. 

I wanted Darnold the most, followed by Mayfield. I was initially really disappointed with the Allen pick. Allen has really impressed me since then and I get a sense that he will “belong” in the conversation for best young QB. I just feel that “it” factor... the one Whaley proclaimed for EJ, but which I never felt.

I'm curious as to what you see in Beane's interview as "desperate...not to get stuck with Rosen"?

From what I heard, Mayfield and Rosen weren't on the Bills board (maybe not at all, maybe not as 1st round grades, depending).  They also reportedly weren't at all interested in Lamar Jackson and had Allen > Darnold.  Their backup plan to Allen was reportedly Mason Rudolph.

I don't think "getting stuck with Rosen" was an option the Bills considered.

Note: I'm not saying that's my evaluation of either Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen or Jackson - just what I'd read/heard about the Bills board.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Also Heisman winner and #1 overall pick Baker mayfield only had 4 D1 offers coming out of HS

and only 1 major BCS offer (Washington State)

with Rice, florida Atlantic and New Mexico... quite the pickings 

Hey FAU is on the map!   We boarded the Lane Train and are never looking back!

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

They did go out and scout him.  Wasn't there a story about how they almost got killed in the plane ride coming back?

I believe most of the teams interested in QB, including the Bills, had scouts at several of Allen's games.

Beane mentioned being at least 1 of Allen's games himself.

The plane ride was on the way to a private workout the Bills scheduled with Allen.  Allen has said the Bills were his only private workout.  Make of that what one will. (private workout differs from facility visit with team)

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Obviously 

My point was most people who farm or grow up on farms have good work ethics 

They usually aren’t lazy

A fair opinion to give. You posted the "country boy" comment in response to a post stating that Allen was from California and has injured his shoulder/clavicle a few times. I guess the implication was wide open to interpretation, because I was looking for the connection between yours and what you quoted. 

All good. 

7 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Hey FAU is on the map!   We boarded the Lane Train and are never looking back!

Gotta be able to beat UB first ? lol

4 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

A fair opinion to give. You posted the "country boy" comment in response to a post stating that Allen was from California and has injured his shoulder/clavicle a few times. I guess the implication was wide open to interpretation, because I was looking for the connection between yours and what you quoted. 

All good. 

I might have quoted the wrong post 

I quoted the one about him from California because him and Rosen are both native to California but have had completely different upbringings 

one on a tennis court in country clubs, the other working on a farm in Firebaugh 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Gotta be able to beat UB first ? lol

I might have quoted the wrong post 

I quoted the one about him from California because him and Rosen are both native to California but have had completely different upbringings 

one on a tennis court in country clubs, the other working on a farm in Firebaugh 

3 points, we'll get em this year.   

from AZ forum [camp notes 7/29]:

Highlights:
- Bradford is as advertised. Deadly accurate. Clearly best QB on the field. 
- #91 DE Benson Mayowa. He was extremely fast and bendy like Chandler Jones. He dominated vs OL drills. 100% looks like a camp gem, at the moment. 
- Mason Cole looked really good. Granted I only saw 2 reps vs DLs, but he stonewalled the guy both times. 
- I really like the team organized stretching. Just makes it seem like a team. Regimented. 
- TJ Logan looked very good running the ball. *However he did drop 1 punt.
- Reddick looked good. Especially in coverage. Almost got an INT. 
- Tre Boston looked pretty good. I think he starts next to Baker or Bethea depending on package. 
- PP looked like PP. Gonna be another pro bowl year. 
- New RT Andre Smith looked OK. Better than expected. Fast guys give him trouble, but he can stuff a bullrush with ease.
- Rosen looks like a mini Bradford. Throws a beautiful, smooth, accurate ball

Lowlights:
- Rosen holds the ball too long. He'd get sacked every snap in a real game. 
- David Johnson dropped an easy pass and fumbled another. 
- Mike Glennon. Career 3rd stringer and looked the part. 
- 1st guy off the field......Rodney Gunter. I was watching. No extra work? It shows. 
- Nkemdiche jumped offsides at least 3x. No joking. 
- JJ Nelson and Greg Little have stone hands...still. Somehow after all these years. Still cant catch.
- Justin Pugh did not look good at all. He got beat in the vs DL drill. 
- Cant say its a lowlight but I did not remotely notice: Kirk, Chad, Seals, Bucc, Pierre, Taylor (new #2 CB), or Chase Edmonds. Total ghosts. Did nothing special. Ill focus on them next time.

• Thank you (+1) 2

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Dalton said:

Another data point.....still too early to judge but not a strong start.  Some say you can't fix accuracy - can you fix a mind set?  Interesting read.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/14/josh-rosen-cardinals-quarterbacks-sam-bradford-chad-kanoff-mike-glennon

Sam Bradford got the day off as the rest of the Cardinals labored in the friendly confines of Arizona’s indoor stadium, so it was Josh Rosen’s time to shine with the ones. He did so with the benefit of a less-than-live pass rush after Saturday’s inconsistent performance behind a struggling second-string offensive line. Sorry to say, the 10th overall selection in the 2018 draft didn’t look much better against his own teammates. Part of that can be blamed on a wide receiver group without a clear No. 2 to Larry Fitzgerald, but many of Rosen’s wounds were self-inflicted. While his footwork looked solid, Rosen air-mailed several balls at the goal line and down the sidelines, and looked out of sync with route-runners.

Conversely, undrafted free agent quarterback Chad Kanoff is making the most of his opportunity under center, and seems to have a fighting chance at supplanting Mike Glennon as the No. 3 quarterback on the roster. The Princeton product’s accuracy on deep balls Monday, particularly on one bomb to Trent Sherfield, made it hard to tell who was the first-round pick and who played his college ball in the Ivy League (no offense to the Ivy League, which has much more going for it than football).

Here’s the strange thing about watching Rosen and Kanoff side by side: When Kanoff faltered, he was reserved, attentive, and quickly moved on to the next play. When Rosen tossed up a bad ball or failed in a third-down scenario, he was visibly upset, taking big swings at nothing with a cleated foot and generally looking pretty miserable. A bunch of anonymous scouts were talking about the UCLA product’s bad body language during the pre-draft process, and while you should take most of that anonymous stuff with a grain of salt, one can see here in training camp why there were concerns.

This is what people were saying about Rosen pre-draft. Accuracy doesn't mean squat if you don't have the mental fortitude to withstand life in the NFL. Sounds to me like he's letting his bad preseason debut get to him.

The paragraph about the undrafted QB from Princeton gave me flashbacks to EJ Manuel and Jeff Tuel.

Edited by HappyDays

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is what people were saying about Rosen pre-draft. Accuracy doesn't mean squat if you don't have the mental fortitude to withstand life in the NFL. Sounds to me like he's letting his bad preseason debut get to him.

The paragraph about the undrafted QB from Princeton gave me flashbacks to EJ Manuel and Jeff Tuel.

I would wager to say 90% of the people who were infatuated with Rosen pre-draft had no idea why they liked him other than a media driven campaign that touted him as most “pro ready, intelligent, great footwork, blah blah blah”. It took off from there and everyone started spouting off the same attributes for Rosen. There’s one characteristic that was never assigned to him: willing to learn. He thinks he’s the smartest man on the field - and he very well may be - but that is not how a team leader acts. Give me a young guy with natural arm strength, fire in his belly and mental toughness any day. 

I live in Oregon and watch a ton of Pac 12 football and I never understood the infatuation with him. I am happy we took JA over Rosen, I never really cared for Rosen's aloof attitude and I got the impression he thought he was bigger than the team during his interviews.

Edited by Jeetz1231
I still think it's the Pac10 for some reason.

23 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There have been plenty of guys who threw beautiful passes who could be totally knocked off their game by pressure or a couple negative results.  I think of a guy like Jeff George.  Beautiful passes, velocity, tight spiral, could do everything you want a QB to do, had a pretty long relatively successful career.  Let a WR drop a ball or knock him around with your DL a couple times and see what would happen.

37 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I would wager to say 90% of the people who were infatuated with Rosen pre-draft had no idea why they liked him other than a media driven campaign that touted him as most “pro ready, intelligent, great footwork, blah blah blah”. It took off from there and everyone started spouting off the same attributes for Rosen. There’s one characteristic that was never assigned to him: willing to learn. He thinks he’s the smartest man on the field - and he very well may be - but that is not how a team leader acts. Give me a young guy with natural arm strength, fire in his belly and mental toughness any day. 

And I’d wager more than 90% of people that wanted Allen had no idea why they wanted him outside of the media touting his good old boy persona, prototypical bod, and cannon arm. 

What does all of this matter now? Allen’s a Bill. We’ll all be cheering the same amount when he’s out there.