Early indications: The Bills will actually have a modern offense ?!

Logic

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

No my comment was not directed at gunner (well at least in this thread). 

People said EJ would be out of the league too  so........  

I just brought up Gunner because i want to hear him rant :)

EJ showed a lot more than Peterman. He wasn’t good and still isn’t but he had some moments. Those guys that don’t have success and we’re drafted late turn over all of the time. Those guys I listed were all QBs drafted late recently (3rd round for Grayson) that I don’t think are in the league. I didn’t double check but think that they are out. People may not want to hear it but Peterman could be in that group soon. I think that he makes the team or at least the PS this year. He will have a hard time being on a roster next year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Here's the thing: It is possible to scheme up inferior offensive talent and get production out of them.

Everyone knows the Bills offense lacks playmakers. With creative offensive playcalling, though, the likes of which Daboll is already demonstrating in camp, you can scheme guys open. Players like McCloud, Foster, Dupre, and Reilly are making plays in camp against a good defense because the playcalls are creative, the formations are put together with intent to create mismatches, and the playmakers we DO have (McCoy, Benjamin, Clay) are being moved around the formation.

So anyone who says "Schemes don't matter, its all about execution!"...I disagree. I think schemes DEFINITELY matter. I think you're going to see the Bills offense improve from last year not based on upgraded talent, but based on creative playcalling and exploitation of mismatches. That's Daboll.

Dont bring that “dupre is making plays in camp” stuff here... it’s waaaaay to early to pretend we have any idea if the scheme can get a guy like that to make plays on Sundays 

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

New England style offense with a carolina style defense...I could get used to that.

This should also help the defense prepare for New England's offense, right?

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

It will take forever for Madden to catch up the change in the O.

...and I am not trying to be sarcastic.  As a fan it gets annoying.

Agreed. For that reason, I just use other teams' playbooks. Honestly, using the New England playbook is probably the most "accurate" thing to do this year, if you want to match what the Bills are running in real life. If you pick Buffalo's playbook, you'll just be running last year's Dennison scheme. Yuck.

44 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Dont bring that “dupre is making plays in camp” stuff here... it’s waaaaay to early to pretend we have any idea if the scheme can get a guy like that to make plays on Sundays 

Gosh, you got me.

Bringing offseason optimism to a football discussion forum. What on earth was I thinking?!

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agreed. For that reason, I just use other teams' playbooks. Honestly, using the New England playbook is probably the most "accurate" thing to do this year, if you want to match what the Bills are running in real life. If you pick Buffalo's playbook, you'll just be running last year's Dennison scheme. Yuck.

Gosh, you got me.

Bringing offseason optimism to a football discussion forum. What on earth was I thinking?!

This is Buffalo fans. We could win the damn Super Bowl and 80% of the hot takes here would be that it was a fluke and we're tanking.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Logic said:

Amen!!!

We are three days into camp. Our Rookie QB is showing a little more than many of us expected.

Hope, Optimism .........?

Not quite sure Triple Option would qualify as Modern Offense. 

But I am enjoying all the pre snap movement. Not getting my hopes up yet until Games start. Why??

because i have seen this in years past. Then comes Sunday and back to 1960’s 3 yards in a cloud of Dust. 

8 hours ago, Logic said:

Seeing reports from camp so far of the Bills' offense featuring multiple RPOs, sprintouts, triple option looks, ample pre-snap motion, empty sets out of 21 personnel, formations that force mismatches...

Could it be that for the first time in what feels like, I dunno...20 years or so...the Buffalo Bills could actually run a modern NFL offense?!

I know, I know, it seems impossible. But I am absolutely LOVING what I'm hearing/seeing so far in terms of formations, concepts, and personnel. Very encouraging!

I am so hopeful that when PS games start we won't be hearing our more knowledgeable posters report back "I think our running game will struggle this year"

Maybe come back and say this or that OLman is going to struggle, but not the scheme and concepts of the offense.

If only my hopes are fulfilled....

8 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

After 3 seasons with a running QB it will seem like a huge improvement.  

The running QB wasn't and isn't the issue.  The design of the run scheme and the offense in general with little/no presnap motion, little/no misdirection, no attempts to provoke mismatches.  Those were the issues.

7 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

I don't know every year you get this kind of "never seen an OC do that" talk and every year it ends up the same come game day.  We won't know until they play games.

I kind of disagree.  I don't recall these kind of reports from different training camps.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The running QB wasn't and isn't the issue.  The design of the run scheme and the offense in general with little/no presnap motion, little/no misdirection, no attempts to provoke mismatches.  Those were the issues.

But why were they issues?

Wrex Ryan thought he’d be cute and supplement the run game with his QB.  

The gimmick worked Year one and then continued to stagnate as the weeks progressed. (Not to mention 3 QC’s) 

But we digress.   

Lets hope Dabols scheme works.  

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Is it @GunnerBill

There is a chance that Nate is out of the league this year. I don’t think that it is likely but there is a chance. There’s a real chance that he is out after this year. Guys like him come and go in this league all of the time. Guys like Zac Dysert, Garrett Grayson, Jake Rudock, Keith Wenning, Taj Gibson, Garrett Gilbert, etc... Late round QBs don’t last long. If they don’t show signs teams get another guy in that can. If Peterman is the 3rd QB this year he won’t be on the roster in 2019. There’s won’t be a line of teams looking to add him either. Those teams will take their own guy late in the draft. That’s the way it works.

My thoughts are well known. Not an NFL talent. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Luka said:

This is Buffalo fans. We could win the damn Super Bowl and 80% of the hot takes here would be that it was a fluke and we're tanking.

This is buffalo fans - we sprint through brick walls pretending guys are good because they looked good in a walk through and ignore the entirety of their resume. It’s waaaaay to early to be pointing at street free agents being viable players suddenly because of the scheme 

18 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Nice.

One post in and you turn this into a Tyrod thread.

His routine pot shots at the old qb, while everyone else is trying to move on, are extremely predictable and honestly quite pathetic at this point. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

His routine pot shots at the old qb, while everyone else is trying to move on, are extremely predictable and honestly quite pathetic at this point. 

Routine?   

Ive hardly posted this past moth.   

What am am I supposed to compare it to? 

The Jim Kelly years? The EJ years? Drew Bledsoe?

But hey thanks for the snarky reply.  

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Routine?   

Ive hardly posted this past moth.   

What am am I supposed to compare it to? 

The Jim Kelly years? The EJ years? Drew Bledsoe?

But hey thanks for the snarky reply.  

I understand you have hardly posted but there has been one theme with you since the old qb got traded. That hasn’t changed the routine out of nowhere shots at the former qb. You consistently bring him up out of left field when it’s totally not needed in the convo and take some shot at him. I’ve seen 2 different people call you on it in the last 2 or 3 weeks. And now I’m the 3rd. Must be we are all imagining things. 

-Random shots at former qb

- making sure to remind everyone not too get excited about allen.

-and some odd crusade for peterman. 

Thats your posts on a nut shell. It’s just sticks out becuz it’s so routine. The train is never late. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty