If you could go back in time to high school

Just Jack

20 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I still remember a girl asking me for my number, I didn't give it to her because I felt it was a joke, in retrospect I wish I had to only see what would have come of it. I think I would also tell myself to be less afraid of talking to crushes etc. I'd also be a little more social outside of school. 

Edit: I'd also learn how to study as think it would have served me more in college than high school, as it was a rude awakening learning how to study when in college as almost got put on academic suspension after two semesters and of course hurt my gpa etc. 

I can relate to all that.  A couple of times girls showed interest I thought that I was being put on so I showed polite indifference.  Having accumulated knowledge of those women since those days the offers may have been legit.

I was on academic probation during junior year of college and it did not help my advisor really never liked me to start with.  I rebounded but AP did not help in terms of job hunting and faculty endorsements.  The worst part was that I was trying but maybe should have seeked out more help.

Edited by RochesterRob

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Quit lying....you didn't consider this a draw back.  You considered it a luxury.

well...it kind of was because there was zero distractions.  when you take young girls out of the mix,  you'd be shocked how it changes the environment.  there was no alpha male stuff going on, mostly because no one cared.  it was a huge positive to be nerdy and get good grades.  sports was important too, but not as much as being a good student.

32 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I can relate to the clueless aspect as there were fairly few girls around me in terms of neighbors or relatives and most were 3-4 years younger while I was in high school so that had their learning to do as well.  The men were fairly aggressive and that was not so much a problem when they were young but really was not the correct approach for my time and situation.

exactly.  it took me a while to feel women out, (no pun intended).  i screwed up a lot of early relationships because it was in my head that if my girlfriend didn't follow my lead, they were lousy girlfriends.  i'm still not sure i'm even great with it now.  i had to marry a woman almost 10 years younger than me just to be on equal playing grounds in terms of relationship maturity.

I would have "played along" more with my hot science teacher in high school to see if she is thinking what I'm thinking.I

Then, I thought her touchy feely was just a tease and didn't want to believe it to be anything more.

if it means i wouldn't have the same friends, kids etc, I wouldn't change a damn thing

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Keeping the knowledge you gained since then, what changes would you do? Only rule is you can not change major historical events, only personal ones. For example, you can’t stop the attacks on 9/11, but if you knew someone that died that day, you can ask/tell them not to go to work that day or take that flight. 

For me, I would have taken more chances with some of the women that I’ve crossed paths with over the years. I would not have married my first wife. I would invest a lot more knowing why stocks are like now and put more to retirement. Job wise, I don’t think I’d do any major changes. And I would still pursue my current wife. 

• Like (+1) 1

In high school? I would have studied more (I didn't study) and I would have applied to that college that "was too expensive".  I think I'd have gotten more out of high school that way. I would also redo all of senior year ... that was one big party which was really dumb on my part. For the most part, high school wasn't horrible for me (or at least it could have been a lot worse).

Now college regrets? Those I have a boatload of ...

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

if it means i wouldn't have the same friends, kids etc, I wouldn't change a damn thing

You can still have the same friends, kids (except that means you’d have the same wife) because you would know ahead of time what choices to make to get those to happen. 

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

You can still have the same friends, kids (except that means you’d have the same wife) because you would know ahead of time what choices to make to get those to happen. 

I loved my wife when we got married.  Wouldn't change that either.  Any changes would affect everything good and bad I've gone through.  I don't want to think about ending up with anything different.  If I had to change anything I would change my attitude in general, no events.

Edited by The Poojer

6 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Edit: I'd also learn how to study as think it would have served me more in college than high school, as it was a rude awakening learning how to study when in college as almost got put on academic suspension after two semesters and of course hurt my gpa etc. 

Like Jokeman I never learned to study in high school and when I went to college I basically started as sophomore due to all of the AP credits I had.  Did okay even getting an A in honors calculus III but that was as far as my talent only would take me so I'd have learned to study harder in high school.

I was flagged in junior high school as a epileptic, grand mal, who destroyed my chances with sports (was already on high school football team even though only a freshman) and would have pushed my mother for more testing.

5 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I would realize that there are plenty of girls who are worth paying attention to, and not waste my time trying to get the two or three best looking girls to go out with me. 

I think that 3 out of every 4 guys could be accused of aiming too high and rightly so.  I know I did and at the same time I did ask a couple of the trim honor roll girls to the prom.

I wouldn't have been such a gentleman and got with more girls.

I wouldn't have sold weed my senior year of high school. Ended up getting suspended for 2 weeks, barred from all school functions, the prom, lost my driving privelages, and had to ride the bus my senior year, had to tuck in my shirt for the rest of the year.

On the bright side they never called the cops and I wasn't going to Harvard anyway so it really had no bearing on my academic future.

I would have appreciated the value and power of money, and would have studied the stock market and learned to invest sooner.  I also would have pursued girls who were worth pursuing and not gone after the shiny object which ended up being fools gold.  Finally, I would have made various, personal choices that were more in line with who I was, and not just to go along with the heard.

Without the obvious hindsight investment stuff...

Without a doubt would be to take academics a bit more seriously.  Figure out what my profession would be and make a plan through college and the job market.  Things turned out fine, but i really think i should have been an engineer or a veterinarian.  I was not looking at life past 22.  

Also, the confidence with girls thing and knowing how to play the game.

College years i would get a bit soft on partying and lethargy.  Knowing what i know now, i would be able to maintain a pretty good balance of physique and having fun.  Would have also maybe gone to school somewhere down south

Also, travel a bit more.  Never got a euro trip in

Edited by May Day 10

10 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Keeping the knowledge you gained since then, what changes would you do?

I don't know if I would change anything. Most of what got me to where I am was dumb luck and good timing (with a little bit of occasionally making it look like I put in hard work in between.) Change one little thing, and my life probably turns out vastly different - not necessarily to my benefit.

Edited by Koko78