If you could go back in time to high school

Just Jack

Keeping the knowledge you gained since then, what changes would you do? Only rule is you can not change major historical events, only personal ones. For example, you can’t stop the attacks on 9/11, but if you knew someone that died that day, you can ask/tell them not to go to work that day or take that flight. 

EDIT - you would continue your life from that point, high school is just the starting point. 

For me, I would have taken more chances with some of the women that I’ve crossed paths with over the years. I would not have married my first wife. I would invest a lot more knowing why stocks are like now and put more to retirement. Job wise, I don’t think I’d do any major changes. And I would still pursue my current wife. 

I'd have nailed quite a few more chicks.   I would have moved to Asheville after graduation like I planned to.   

I would have taken more weekends and fished the Mosquito lagoon.   Probably would study a little harder, but I can't say that for sure.   Definitely would choose a different career path.   History, i wouldn't try to change it, but I would definitely bet more on sporting events :D  

Paid more attention and learned more about college and the recruiting process. Happy where I went to school, but think there might have been way more options had I done more preparation and research. I waited for coaches to reach out to me, should have been more proactive.

The one that got away...that was more college though...she was back home and I broke up with her...still think about her sometimes.

Thats about it..if we talking high school. Now if we made this first 5 years out college..lot more

19 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

For me, I would have taken more chances with some of the women that I’ve crossed paths with over the years. I would not have married my first wife. I would invest a lot more knowing why stocks are like now and put more to retirement.

+1 to all of these words for me.

I would make sure to suggest to Mr. Norwood to aim for the middle instead of relying on a hook.

Starts and ends with women.  Had no confidence then, didn't realize that neither did they.  Wound up with an absolutely wonderful woman and wouldn't change that, but I could have had a lot more fun before I met her.

Oh, and stocks.  Definitely stocks.

• Like (+1) 3

When I joined the Navy, I would have been more long-term thinking and chosen a rate that would prepare me for life after the Navy; specifically, a trade, such as welding.

I would have been more responsible with credit cards.

I would have kept life as simple as possible in my younger years and not let myself be swayed into "wanting," things that I didn't really need.

48 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Keeping the knowledge you gained since then, what changes would you do? Only rule is you can not change major historical events, only personal ones. For example, you can’t stop the attacks on 9/11, but if you knew someone that died that day, you can ask/tell them not to go to work that day or take that flight. 

For me, I would have taken more chances with some of the women that I’ve crossed paths with over the years. I would not have married my first wife. I would invest a lot more knowing why stocks are like now and put more to retirement. Job wise, I don’t think I’d do any major changes. And I would still pursue my current wife. 

If you can't stop the 9/11 attacks then it is most likely you are not going to pick stocks.  But on that note I remember when I was at college when the Microsoft IPO was being made and a bunch of guys at my house were saying it was a sure thing.  I had maybe 2,000 dollars in a savings account at the time so maybe instead of being 60/40 against buying I would have been 60/40 in favor and bought stock.  So instead of knowing Microsoft was going to pan out due to magic it would have been a matter of trusting a few opinions so maybe change that for your premise.  I wish that I had dated more but over two years during junior and senior year at college I dated six women.  Trouble was nothing lasted past a month and usually only a couple of weeks.  Maybe being a little more outgoing would have helped.  Bought a snowmobile that was fairly new and sold it dirt cheap 6 years later as we had a bunch of dry winters in a row so I wished I had never spent that money that way.  I wished I had been a little more hard lined with a family member on business as I would have been better off today for it.

i don't think i would have changed anything.  not that it was a perfect point in my life, but high school was just a business like environment.  everything was about working and going on to college.  they made high school nothing more than a stepping stone for your career.  i played football, track, was my class president, etc.  we partied and had fun, but you were there to work, get out, and go to college.

the one major draw back, (as others have mentioned) was that it was a all boy school.  with not having girls around, and not having any sisters, i was pretty clueless about women when i went to college.  that blew some opportunities for me that i wish i had back.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

i don't think i would have changed anything.  not that it was a perfect point in my life, but high school was just a business like environment.  everything was about working and going on to college.  they made high school nothing more than a stepping stone for your career.  i played football, track, was my class president, etc.  we partied and had fun, but you were there to work, get out, and go to college.

the one major draw back, (as others have mentioned) was that it was a all boy school.  with not having girls around, and not having any sisters, i was pretty clueless about women when i went to college.  that blew some opportunities for me that i wish i had back.  

Quit lying....you didn't consider this a draw back.  You considered it a luxury.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

I can relate to the clueless aspect as there were fairly few girls around me in terms of neighbors or relatives and most were 3-4 years younger while I was in high school so that had their learning to do as well.  The men were fairly aggressive and that was not so much a problem when they were young but really was not the correct approach for my time and situation.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

I still remember a girl asking me for my number, I didn't give it to her because I felt it was a joke, in retrospect I wish I had to only see what would have come of it. I think I would also tell myself to be less afraid of talking to crushes etc. I'd also be a little more social outside of school. 

Edit: I'd also learn how to study as think it would have served me more in college than high school, as it was a rude awakening learning how to study when in college as almost got put on academic suspension after two semesters and of course hurt my gpa etc. 

Edited by The Jokeman

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I still remember a girl asking me for my number, I didn't give it to her because I felt it was a joke, in retrospect I wish I had to only see what would have come of it. I think I would also tell myself to be less afraid of talking to crushes etc. I'd also be a little more social outside of school. 

I think that a lot of us can relate to all that truth be told.  I remember one time while at college (Alfred) and at a bar a girl comes up to me asking for two bucks worth of quarters.  I gave her what she wanted and she gave two one dollar bills.  What I did not really consider was the bartender  and  register (with no customers nearby)  were barely to the back and the side of me so she was really hitting on me and she was fairly decent looking if not hot.