Anyone here pulled a hamstring?

Steptide

It's no joke. I see why football players with hamstring injuries are so hampered. Don't know what I did, but it is taking forever to heal. I tried doing stretches that supposedly help, but it actually made it worse and was making my leg numb. Only thing that has helped is 2 Bayer back and body pills. 

9 minutes ago, Steptide said:

It's no joke. I see why football players with hamstring injuries are so hampered. Don't know what I did, but it is taking forever to heal. I tried doing stretches that supposedly help, but it actually made it worse and was making my leg numb. Only thing that has helped is 2 Bayer back and body pills. 

Time .... it will take time to heal

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Mine didn't completely heal for about a year, and still twinges sometimes, two years later...

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I pulled my hamstring about 5 weeks ago, felt a pop for the first time and dropped like a rock.  Thought I really did some damage, but luckily no muscle tear or anything.  That night was brutal though, one of the most painful things I have experienced.  Now the most difficult part is it feels really good at times, but also can get really tight at times.  Currently doing light squats and riding my bike, but I am not going to really try to push it for at least another month.

I am a runner Step--25 miles plus a week.  I have strained it probably 5 times and pulled it twice.  I end up going to some form of elliptical for about three weeks keeping the blood flowing to the injury.  The Cybex arc trainer is the best for me.  The best for me is to work my way through it...just a thought.  I don't get back to running until I absolutely feel no twinges on the elliptical.

Warrior three pose is great for stretching hamstrings.  My left upper hamstring tightens up.  When it's real tight, i use two 4' wooden dowels for support and I try and hold that pose for 3 minutes

Yes.  I've pulled a hammy and torn a groin.  Groin took about 3 months to heal before I could even start stretching....I was walking stiff legged for awhile.  

The hammy, took about two weeks before I got regular movement in my leg.

For those who have never experienced a pull or tear.....it's much different than a strain.  I've had strains growing up thinking they were pulled muscles.....then I got to feel what a real pull feels like.  Strains are technically be definition a pulled muscle but strains, you can battle through.  A true pull, that leg is locked up.

Several times.  Once racing my daughter on her bicycle, i pulled both at the same time, it was horrific.  Felt like two rubber bands in the back of my legs snapping at the same time, I could actually feel the muscle tear and pull up my leg.    Crawled from the street to the front door, then up the stairs, and sat in the bathtub filling it with ice.    

Then again about 9 years later while playing adult kickball.   I'd stretch and rest, but ever other week I'd re-tweak it.   I think my playing days are over. 

Just now, Steptide said:

Unfortunately I can't really take it easy as I work outside and I'm constantly walking or lifting. Hoping this passes quick, but it feels like lightning downtye back of my leg 

I never found RICET to be of much help to be honest.  Rest Ice Compression Elevation Time.     

Just do whatever works best for you I hope it heals up for you quickly.   

There was a 2 year stretch around 2009/2010  where I pulled my hamstrings quite often. I’d always try to push it and run before they’d fully heal. Football and baseball.

Tiny pops, big pops...none felt good. None were as bad as Andre Reed in 1995 but all bad.

When I was much younger I pulled one playing tennis. Took many months to get right. It helped when I wore a tight Velcro strap (that made me walk funny!). More recently, I pulled one while sleeping. I do not recommend getting old. 

Prolonged rest. That’s it. Stretching doesn’t help much. Warming up and slowly working up strength through extension is usually the most recommended. Massage with ball or roller helps a lot but keep Doing it especially the most painful spots. 

I have been to every doc on Doc on the planet for mine. The above comes from a lot of different tries including even dry needling. Which was awesome (I kid!). 

Ice and freezing do nothing but make your hamstring cold for a few minutes. 

Edited by BeginnersMind