Shaq Lawson on roster bubble

26 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont know

At what point does a high first round pick DE actually show that he can play better then undrafted free agents?

I root for him.....but I just have this bad feeling now that they have a guy in front of him in the line up in Murphy

It's not looking good, but there is still plenty of time for him to turn it around. Shaq looked like a legit NFL level player last year, so I certainly think he has a shot at turning things around. I think we get so knee jerk with day to day reports that we don't really allow for things to play out the way they should. 

7 hours ago, Joe Miner said:

Some people can just admit they were wrong.  

Narcissist.

He wasnt wrong.  If Whaley had taken Lynch and showed a commitment generally to finding a franchise QB, he’d probably still be here.  You can justify a failed QB pick to your bosses.  What was the point of the Lawson pick?  How do you justify that pick when you still don’t have a QB?  Hell, the linked thread mentions that the Cowboys tried to trade for the Bills’ pick so they could take Lynch but Whaley said no - so the Cowboys lucked out on Prescott instead (because they were focused on drafting a QB).  Whaley could’ve traded the pick and taken Jack (as many of us here were begging him to do) or just taken Jack there... but staying put and taking Lawson was inexcusable given the position and the opportunity cost and lo and behold, that was the last draft Doug Whaley ran on his own and he is no longer an NFL GM.  When you factor in the trade that was passed on - the Bills essentially took Lawson over an extra 2nd and 3rd and next year’s 1st or whatever it was - and the guy was injured and isn’t even a pass rusher when healthy.

This isn’t hindsight, it’s foresight - look at the draft day thread, some of us were saying these things at the time!

Edited by Coach Tuesday

He was a bad pick from the word jump.  He was never a tweener DE/OLB, he was always too big and slow for that.  If anything he was a DE/DT.  

I never thought he was a pass rush guy even at Clemson.  He used his size to dominate at times but he didn't jump out with nice pass rush moves.  

They drafted him because Rex was close to him, that should have been shot down. Not his fault he was drafted where he was.

Edited by thenorthremembers

52 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He was a bad pick from the word jump.  He was never a tweener DE/OLB, he was always too big and slow for that.  If anything he was a DE/DT.  

I never thought he was a pass rush guy even at Clemson.  He used his size to dominate at times but he didn't jump out with nice pass rush moves.  

They drafted him because Rex was close to him, that should have been shot down. Not his fault he was drafted where he was.

He should be paying Ronnie Stanley big bucks, that spin move was played constantly throughout the draft process. 

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He wasnt wrong.  If Whaley had taken Lynch and showed a commitment generally to finding a franchise QB, he’d probably still be here.  You can justify a failed QB pick to your bosses.  What was the point of the Lawson pick?  How do you justify that pick when you still don’t have a QB?  Hell, the linked thread mentions that the Cowboys tried to trade for the Bills’ pick so they could take Lynch but Whaley said no - so the Cowboys lucked out on Prescott instead (because they were focused on drafting a QB).  Whaley could’ve traded the pick and taken Jack (as many of us here were begging him to do) or just taken Jack there... but staying put and taking Lawson was inexcusable given the position and the opportunity cost and lo and behold, that was the last draft Doug Whaley ran on his own and he is no longer an NFL GM.  When you factor in the trade that was passed on - the Bills essentially took Lawson over an extra 2nd and 3rd and next year’s 1st or whatever it was - and the guy was injured and isn’t even a pass rusher when healthy.

This isn’t hindsight, it’s foresight - look at the draft day thread, some of us were saying these things at the time!

Ah the chorus of we were right.

Good to see he has backup singers.

Paxton Lynch.

Own it. Admit it. Don't get so high and mighty with your opinions.

Edited by Joe Miner

16 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

He should be paying Ronnie Stanley big bucks, that spin move was played constantly throughout the draft process. 

And the Dwight Freeney comparisons.  It was a bad draft for pass rushers, and it's not like he was a top ten pick.   Clemson had a great d line that year but something about both ends, Shaq and Kevin Dodd seemed to scream plodding.   

Feel like maybe he would be better suited to gain weight and play inside.  

49 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Are you going to own that you were wrong about Shaq or?

Sure.  Thought he could have been good for the Bills.  He's been a major disappointment.

Good luck getting that group to ever admit they were wrong about anything.  But they'll definitely let you know when someone else was wrong.

I don't think Shaq is on roster bubble. Even if he struggles and can't start at DE then he makes a really good backup DE for a pretty cheap price. I think  he could atleast establish a role where he comes off the bench on running down in place of Hughes. Lawson is really good at setting the edge. So him and Murphy at the End positions make a lot of sense on running downs

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Fraizer just essentially squashed anything negative about Shaq. With his “way to young to say make or break”. Best football ahead talk. 

Sounds like what you say about a player right before you trade him.

• Like (+1) 6

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

And the Dwight Freeney comparisons.  It was a bad draft for pass rushers, and it's not like he was a top ten pick.   Clemson had a great d line that year but something about both ends, Shaq and Kevin Dodd seemed to scream plodding.   

Feel like maybe he would be better suited to gain weight and play inside.  

So just out of curiosity why do you think he is dropping weight instead of bulking up?

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont know

At what point does a high first round pick DE actually show that he can play better then undrafted free agents?

I root for him.....but I just have this bad feeling now that they have a guy in front of him in the line up in Murphy

My point was that camp needs to play out more. 2 so-so practices does not a training camp make. You have to let it play out more. Players are in shape conditioning wise but there is still football rust to be worked out. Shaq is a player who is a little bit smaller than he was playing at in the past, probably needs a week or so to get used to playing at that weight. If its week 2-3 of pre-season and Shaq can't hack it then we have a real problem. 

Also Shaq doesn't have to beat out Murphy to stay on the roster. Shaq can make the roster as a backup/rotational player. The Eagles and Jags showed that you need a full unit of rotational guys to be effective pass rush wise. Shaq has to be the 4th best DE on the roster to make the team. Shaq is on a cheap contract so there is no reason they wouldn't keep him as a backup.