Shaq Lawson on roster bubble

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sal predicting this morning that Shaq will get the Reggie Ragland treatment ... 

Not surprising since Shaq has been all potential thus far.  Does Shaq have the same upside as Ragland, where a change in defensive scheme will do him good?  I doubt I'd expect more than a 5th round trade from him, and would probably make more sense to make a player for player trade with another team.

That draft class :(

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

Not surprising since Shaq has been all potential thus far.  Does Shaq have the same upside as Ragland, where a change in defensive scheme will do him good?  I doubt I'd expect more than a 5th round trade from him, and would probably make more sense to make a player for player trade with another team.

Sal said he thinks he could be worth something just as a young former 1st rounder. He’s Trent Murphy’s backup right now but that Odiggy guy they signed in FA could easily take his place. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He is toast.  Trade him for a 4th and be done with it.

I wish we could dig up the draft day thread, when the pick happened I predicted it was the end of Doug Whaley, I got roasted...

Yet another Whaley gem.

• Like (+1) 3

I think it is a little early to write any player off from the roster. We are what 2-3 days into minicamp with not very many days in pads yet. Lawson is make or break this training camp/pre-season. But lets give the kid a week or two into camp to see just how he is doing. Lawson looks to be in great shape after an off-season of hard work. I think he has a chance to show some value. 

9 minutes ago, Rico said:

I haven't the slightest idea, maybe banned? He could be pretty funny.

Badol nailed it again:

Indeed he did - and there are some veteran posters in that thread who ought to be ashamed of themselves, comparing him to Freeney and Reggie Freakin’ White.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s turned out to be dud pick but didn’t seem a reach at the time... lots of “experts” had him going in the teens...

Just goes to show that a lot of us buy into the draft hype..

Edited by Aussie Joe

As we sit here now with Lawson on the brink of being cut, I wonder how many people applauded his selection on draft day?

Quite a few! 

His story is a sobering reminder: don't get too excited on draft day or caught up in who won the draft and who lost....only time will tell, and most selections are a crap shoot.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

It’s turned out to be dud pick but didn’t seem a reach at the time... lots of “experts” had him going in the teens...

Just goes to show that a lot of us buy into the draft hype..

It also goes to show that your pick could be rated as an A by all the prognosticators and be a bust. I am not willing to write Shaq of just because 2-3 days into training camp he isn't dominating, in 10 games last season Shaq had 4 sacks that is roughly 6.5 if he played the entire 16 games, which for a player in his second year coming off of an injury isn't that bad. Toss in the fact that he graded out decently against the run and I think you can have some hope for him. 

I think this idea of Shaq being toast at the moment is premature, certainly a make or break camp/pre-season but nothing so far to me indicates he is a goner just yet too early to tell in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

As we sit here now with Lawson on the brink of being cut, I wonder how many people applauded his selection on draft day?

Quite a few! 

His story is a sobering reminder: don't get too excited on draft day or caught up in who won the draft and who lost....only time will tell, and most selections are a crap shoot.

I would actually be surprised if he was straight up released with nothing in return. He’s cheap depth if nothing else. But not surprised at all if he was moved out for a draft pick.

57 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That was 110% a Rex pick...

Geez NOTHING was Whaley's fault according to some on here.

He didn't draft Manuel, didn't hire Rex, now didn't draft Lawson.

Doug Whaley was horrible.

• Thank you (+1) 2