Shaq Lawson on roster bubble

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

What do his LB's do? Not much from last year.

Is this a joke?

Educate yourself......the linebackers cover, scrape, and make tackles....they have to be unblocked in order to do that hence Star.

Edmunds is a huge physical freak cover linebacker who has great range......he is our Kuch.

25 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Is this a joke?

Educate yourself......the linebackers cover, scrape, and make tackles....they have to be unblocked in order to do that hence Star.

Edmunds is a huge physical freak cover linebacker who has great range......he is our Kuch.

well Ramon Humber didn't do that and they had a bad DLine to boot. I'd have rather had Ragland than Humber. You do realize that has does not prevent us from drafting Edmunds.

Cool, I see what McD wants to do NEXT year. Listen to what I'm saying.. why did we trade away Ragland last year when our linebackers weren't that good? What did McDermott's linebackers do last year?? He wasn't in Carolina lol. McDermott's brilliant I just wish he had adapted to our run defense. You're acting like it's fine to say "well these guys can't play the way I want to play! Screw it, let's just scrap em all. I can't use this front 7 this year because I need linebackers to cover scrape and make tackles and they need to be unblocked."

I love me some Edmunds, but what happens IF things don't go as planned and he's not playing well? "Eh McD gets another pass because he hasn't found Kuechly yet." 31 other teams haven't found Kuechly yet.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

well Ramon Humber didn't do that and they had a bad DLine to boot. I'd have rather had Ragland than Humber. You do realize that has does not prevent us from drafting Edmunds.

Cool, I see what McD wants to do NEXT year. Listen to what I'm saying.. why did we trade away Ragland last year when our linebackers weren't that good? What did McDermott's linebackers do last year?? He wasn't in Carolina lol. McDermott's brilliant I just wish he had adapted to our run defense. You're acting like it's fine to say "well these guys can't play the way I want to play! Screw it, let's just scrap em all. I can't use this front 7 this year because I need linebackers to cover scrape and make tackles and they need to be blocked."

I love me some Edmunds, but what happens IF things don't go as planned and he's not playing well? "Eh McD gets another pass because he hasn't found Kuechly yet." 31 other teams haven't found Kuechly yet.

Humber.....even though a backup simply fits this defense better then Ragland did.

By the way....in Rex defense I was a fan of Ragland.....because his D would have used him correctly.   It is also why we got by with Preston Brown even though his side line to side line was sorely lacking.

All you really have to do is go back and watch some Panther's D while McD was with them and you will see what he is looking for......athletic guys that can cover and get anywhere on the field provided they dont have a OL on them.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Humber.....even though a backup simply fits this defense better then Ragland did.

By the way....in Rex defense I was a fan of Ragland.....because his D would have used him correctly.   It is also why we got by with Preston Brown even though his side line to side line was sorely lacking.

All you really have to do is go back and watch some Panther's D while McD was with them and you will see what he is looking for......athletic guys that can cover and get anywhere on the field provided they dont have a OL on them.

It's hard to just force that. I think teams evolve naturally by drafting BPA, finding a unit's strength, and a coordinator that fits the bill. Maybe it's the Rex effect, but I'm tired of the front 7 just being whacked the last few years. Mimicking a team hurts if you're trying way too hard. Ray Lewis or Edmunds? Kuechly or Ragland? Rex would get Ray and Rags, McD would get Edmunds and Kuechly, and they'd both be wrong.

That zone defense is something else, I don't know my X's and O's but the front 7 really didn't have much contribution to that. If you would have liked Ragland in a Rex defense maybe they'd have been better off transitioning slowly. We've never seen Ragland play for the Bills lol yet you just know.. he'd have sucked?

What if in an alternate universe McD lands on a team with small, slow Ray Lewis and is like "nah I need em all fast and big gimme some crappy free agents that sorta look like the ones I used to have." Bad coordinating.

Whatever, we got Edmunds, I think he's a beast, go bills!

Just complaining about 2017. trading a 1st round graded guy from a position group that really sucked in hindsight. Not much reason to release him. Could have Ragland and Edmunds now. You think Ragland would have sucked with 100% certainty. I think he had a good year with another DC and could of had a good year here if we aren't brainfarting about changing schemes day 1 at the job.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/27/2018 at 4:26 AM, JerseyBills said:

All pro/best lb in the nfl upside , steal of the draft imo. If he pans out , him and Tre in back to back drafts is pretty amazing.

It will be fun to watch both Tremaine and Roquan develop over next couple years. Part and parcel of what makes following football fun for some of us. 

See how the high draft picks pan out. Especially playing the same position.

I think Bills got the one they wanted. If not ? certainly prepared and delighted . I am stoked for sure

White and Edmunds might be the Foundation of the Bills new legacy.
and yes i am serious : )

Lets go Buffalo !

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It depends on the upside of the talent for me.....if Shaq were to be this immense pass rushing talent that we had to wait a year for Im still ok with a first round selection.

My fear when I hear him talk is motivation.....does he really need to be in year 3 to "get it"

John H.

Dear John

I am disappointed in you.

would never trust Bills Team Doctors ina million and one years to be able to diagnose a draft pick for long term health.

Not ever.

worst in he league by far ....?...

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was a day one starter "coming off the bus'......that's not immediate enough for you?!

we were sold a bill of goods.
 well more than one.

Even Mr and Mrs Pegula allowed the hiring of Rob Ryan.
we all make mistakes.
 Lawson might be another one of them

8 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

He does seem to have gotten the message and is reported to have shed some significant weight.  Let's hope that he stays in shape and doesn't back-slide and also that the reduced weight improves his quickness.  I think I remember an interview with the Clemson coach when Lawson was drafted.  In that interview, he pretty much said that Lawson wasn't a big fan of working in the gym.  Hopefully, that has changed.

he has no quick twitch. he has good recognition and plays disciplined IMO.

but he is no pass rusher. maybe a 3-4 DE ha ha ha.
hope they Coach him up into a tradeable player

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We did not have them.

I think part of the point is, we had nothing better.

Perhaps McD is correct in His Method of Defense.
But he had some skills sets to work with. he should have played a hybrid 3-4 heavy downs one and 2 and used safeties as a package. He had the players including Dareus.
We can see he is building his Defense, and that might well be the Cats Pajamas. But maybe he should have worked with what he had for a season. actually thats my opinion i just put forth

28 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

We did not have them.

I think part of the point is, we had nothing better.

Perhaps McD is correct in His Method of Defense.
But he had some skills sets to work with. he should have played a hybrid 3-4 heavy downs one and 2 and used safeties as a package. He had the players including Dareus.
We can see he is building his Defense, and that might well be the Cats Pajamas. But maybe he should have worked with what he had for a season. actually thats my opinion i just put forth

Defensive guys go with the d they know

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

If he can get off the line within two Mississippi’s it will improve his chances of success. That sounds pretty easy.... WAKE UP!!!

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

If he can get off the line within two Mississippi’s it will improve his chances of success. That sounds pretty easy.... WAKE UP!!!

you really think its a sleepy thing ? Maybe its a dopey thing ?

cheering for the Kid just the same

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

you really think its a sleepy thing ? Maybe its a dopey thing ?

cheering for the Kid just the same

There was actual talk that at Clempsun he was told to hold up and see what was happening. Take your time, see how things are going before rushing into any....you know....playing of the game of football. I don’t know if that was excuses, or crazy talk, or some combination of both. 

OR......It could be a Mr Bean thing....he just nods off. Who knows? 

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:37 AM, Shaw66 said:

I always say you're better off to keep talent too long than to let it go too soon.

However, McB aren't about talent, at least not first.   As you note, they're about effort and commitment first, and if you don't show it and show it quickly, they don't waste time on you.   Every single holdover from the last regime should have gotten that message when first Watkins and then Dareus left town.   The message - we don't care how talented you are, we care about your effort and your commitment to what we're doing.  

Man, that sounds so much like Dick Jauron it's crazy... He was all about those "character" guys.  Denny, Coy Wire, Chris Kelsay, Ko Simpson, Josh Reed... those guys were supposed to be the foundation, high-motor good guys. But we saw, talent beat character time & time again. You can definitely have both, but just dropping everyone who has an ego also causes problems.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Man, that sounds so much like Dick Jauron it's crazy... He was all about those "character" guys.  Denny, Coy Wire, Chris Kelsay, Ko Simpson, Josh Reed... those guys were supposed to be the foundation, high-motor good guys. But we saw, talent beat character time & time again. You can definitely have both, but just dropping everyone who has an ego also causes problems.

Don't worry McB is about talent just as much as character.  He doesn't put one in front of the other b.c that would mean failure. So if a guy has a character problem he won't just look away unless the talent doesn't equal up to or surpass that problem.

Edited by Boca BIlls

But we are crying over our spilled milk. Somehow defense was our strength last year in the most unlikely of places. Knowing the Offense wasn't going to win games, a bad day was always going to be a big reason we got blown out. But for once me made the playoffs, and are one year closer to getting the components on front 7 D McD wants to work with. It was really the best of both worlds when it's all said and done. I can gripe about how our front 7 could be marginally better had we not immediately forced the scheme change for front 7, just as I gripe about the Chargers game. But we made the playoffs, invested in the pieces we need to improve on both sides. It's really on Beane at this point to make sure he drafted right. 

We all now one trade up draft gamble can set us aside, make or break the regime, and this was the draft gamble. Whaley did the exact same thing in his draft gamble, but the one thing I give him credit for is taking his existing peices and running with it. He didn't blow up the team to show he's in charge, and had the best team we've had the whole drought (luck didn't go our way that time). Everybody said it wasn't Whaley's team because it wasn't.. but that's a positive, a GM that didn't fix what didn't need to be broken. We see other GMs step in and go "this ain't my vision", and may dump Mario, Hughes, McKelvin, whatever. His draft didn't pan out and we got Wrexed.

That's what it's all going to come down to for Beane. He retooled heavily and still made the playoffs, it was fantastic. If we have a philosophy to really build around a specific style of football, we better make darn sure we execute. I give more credit to McD than anything. Despite some blunders (IMO), best coaching season we had in the drought. For once we won the games we were expected to win. And upset the Falcons.. That's really all it takes for a good coach, win the games we should. 2014 would have broken the drought with a much better record if that happened. It's Beane I'm still reserving judgement on.

We might be moving on the 2-D chess boys. THE PROCESS.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/26/2018 at 10:23 PM, Avisan said:

We lucked in at 9-7 when previous seasons it had been insufficient.  I'm happy for last season's berth, but I'm expecting our offense to struggle even more this season.

So, you do not see that the team moved in a positive direction in 2017?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Correction.  Most coaches go with the scheme they know.  Championship winning coaches go with the scheme that works with their players.

Yep, I said 2 posts above, Wade Phillips specifically said he adjusts his d to his personnel. A defensive coordinator thinks the only time he's gotten success is the only way. OCs, coaches, all of them. If I was taking over for Schwartz I'd say to myself "wow! he was really successful, I should build off of his defensive approach"

But the sentiment for most seems like "Schwartz had a flash in a pan, I'm going to overhaul this to get my defensive scheme I had working (likely less successful the year prior), and show how it's really done.

I think Schwartz is one of the better coordinators in that regard. He saw Pettine sacking the heck out of people and came in saying let's keep the aggression Pettine had working for him, and add some of my kinks that I think will work better for this Dareus fella. If was a change in the defenses he ran prior in Detroit and Tennesee, more aggressive (the philosophy Pettine used was the blueprint), yet still had his fingerprints on what he saw could better. To his strength, the only single personnel I think Schwartz really needs is one of the premier DTs, but he doesn't need the best at the position. He made Haynesworth, drafted Suh, utilized Dareus to the max, and of course now hangs his hat on Fletcher Cox. But it is not a coincidence that these guys had their career years under Schwartz. He needs the talent sure, but he maximizes that talent. every. time. and has these guys as the premier players at their position when they play with his scheme. So he's not demanding on his personnel for preexisting. He's maximizing the personnel. He doesn't throw up his hands because he doesn't have Aaron Donald, he makes his DT look like Aaron Donald.

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, you do not see that the team moved in a positive direction in 2017?

I do personally. But offensively we could be a disaster. To those he say it couldn't be worse... It could be much much worse.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Correction.  Most coaches go with the scheme they know.  Championship winning coaches go with the scheme that works with their players.

And it did....the D improved and we made the playoffs.

I know ppl dont like to talk about it but we are in fact in the middle of a soft rebiuld.....when you do this you are not even supposed to make the playoffs yet we did find a way.

This is the hard year because of all the dead money.....yet if the draft ends up being strong we may STILL end  up being competative.