Its June 18th- And I hate Summer Already

plenzmd1

37 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Yea, and I enjoy Northern CA but I like more of a change of seasons.  Definitely somewhere I'll consider retiring to if I can somehow afford it.

I'm the kind of guy that took up steelhead fishing in part because now I look forward to the fall and spring rains.  Dreary days push steelhead in!

I've always thought that too living in New England my whole life, but gotta tell ya, the last two winters here where it never got below 40 was pretty nice!

I'd be totally fine with winter cold and snow if it ended the day after the Super Bowl.  After that, it's just two months of misery in most of the country.

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Now it’s been raining and storming for 3 freaking days.  Snow storm, you get to go outside and play. Rain for 3 days? I get nothing except soaking wet taking the dogs for a run. 

Summer is the freaking worst!

Mae could really use some rain here. It’s tough to keep the grass green at this point. 

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I've always thought that too living in New England my whole life, but gotta tell ya, the last two winters here where it never got below 40 was pretty nice!

I'd be totally fine with winter cold and snow if it ended the day after the Super Bowl.  After that, it's just two months of misery in most of the country.

Sounds nice. But there's a few problems:

1) lots of smug !@#$s.

2) insane housing prices

3) high taxes

4)crazy political climate

5)wildfires

6)earthquakes

7) traffic

Other than that, count me in!

Edited by joesixpack

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, joesixpack said:

Sounds nice. But there's a few problems:

1) lots of smug !@#$s.

2) insane housing prices

3) high taxes

4)crazy political climate

5)wildfires

6)earthquakes

7) traffic

Other than that, count me in!

If you take out 5 and 6, isn't that New Jersey?

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If you take out 5 and 6, isn't that New Jersey?

3, 4 and 7 yes. Housing prices aren't nearly what they are in California, not even close. and the people here aren't smug, just mainly stupid.

Well, in south jersey anyway.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/23/2018 at 9:59 AM, KD in CA said:

It's why people like the Donner Party did what they did. Pack up and leave. Just be thankful that you didn't have to walk to California. And be doubly thankful you didn't meet a wall of snow @ Emigrant Gap and have to make hard choices about eating your neighbor or not.

Betcha you flew to Cal and played a DVD for the wife & Kidlets...

?

I am such a stick in the mud... KillJoy ...Looking @ you Shady...?

On June 20, 2018 at 9:32 AM, shrader said:

At least you can see outside.  I'm stuck in the middle of the building under an AC vent that I would swear is putting out 50 degree air.  So I freeze all day while sitting under artificial light.  When I get home and hear about how hot the day was, I'm caught completely off guard because I only got outside for about 5 minutes of that weather.

Being trapped in an office environment that is freezing cold like that is kind of my idea of being stuck in hell.

It's so common, too!  Would be nice if people could figure out how to evenly heat/cool an office space.

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's why people like the Donner Party did what they did. Pack up and leave. Just be thankful that you didn't have to walk to California. And be doubly thankful you didn't meet a wall of snow @ Emigrant Gap and have to make hard choices about eating your neighbor or not.

Betcha you flew to Cal and played a DVD for the wife & Kidlets...

?

I am such a stick in the mud... KillJoy ...Looking @ you Shady...?

Well yeah, but it starting snowing really hard as we were leaving Tahoe in February.  Had to pull over for extra windshield fluid to make it all the way back.  Skiing was awesome though.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Being trapped in an office environment that is freezing cold like that is kind of my idea of being stuck in hell.

It's so common, too!  Would be nice if people could figure out how to evenly heat/cool an office space.

I have to leave a fleece jacket on my desk chair each day even though it's currently 90 degrees outside.  I almost need to leave some gloves here too.  And I'm a person who almost never gets cold.  At the same time, my boss's office is about 20 feet away and she's always saying it's way too hot in there.  Maybe they'll finally get it right when we move to a new building later this year.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Well yeah, but it starting snowing really hard as we were leaving Tahoe in February.  Had to pull over for extra windshield fluid to make it all the way back.  Skiing was awesome though.

Christmas 2014 flew in SF and rented a Jeep Cherokee to go up to Squaw... Got chains @  Sacramento AutoZone...

...I don't know what the big deal was.  Pioneers, emigrants were such babies... They didn't have "snow mode" on their wagons... Pineapple Expresses WAY overrated! ?

• 1 month later...

Here we are September 3rd, I have taken dogs for a run and cleaned up my back porch..its 10:30AM...and the outside portion of the day is again ended!102 heat index ...yippeee!!!!

Hate summer, and everyone who iikes it is just a plain idiot..see @joesixpack?

I’m right there with you.  This next week is going to be awful. I have relatives who are in school as students and as teachers. Most schools in upstate NY are built for winter, not summer. The students and teachers will be on the verge of fainting until this heat wave breaks on Thursday or Friday. 

Summer vs. Winter is about so much more than simple ambient air temperature.

Winter creates hard work in a way summer does not (snow shoveling or snow blowing or plowing).

Winter often means you can't do what you wanted to do (can't drive to x b/c roads are horrible and we're expecting 5 inches of snow).

Winter means everything around you is dead, gray, lifeless, and there aren't even any smells outside or birds singing.

Winter means wearing layers of clothing, long pants, socks all the time...my knees and lips are always chafed, chapped, and dry.

Summer means everything is green and alive, fresh grass/earth/plant smells are everywhere, birds sing away...and a heat wave never piles up 2 feet of snow at the base of your driveway at 5:00am that you now have to remove before you can drive somewhere.

In summer you can get away with wearing minimal clothing and it just feels so much more comfortable and natural to me to be wearing shorts, bare foot, and a t-shirt or no shirt at all if I'm home.

Winter means short days and lots of darkness.

Summer means very long days and lots of light.

I can go on.

As to how anyone would choose cold climate over warm climate....I have no idea.

I'm living in S. FL. these days and it is some degree of "summer" 12 months a year.  It's f-ing incredible, at least from a weather perspective.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Here we are September 3rd, I have taken dogs for a run and cleaned up my back porch..its 10:30AM...and the outside portion of the day is again ended!102 heat index ...yippeee!!!!

Hate summer, and everyone who iikes it is just a plain idiot..see @joesixpack?

Today was brutal.  Temp was mid 80's but it seriously felt like the hottest day ever. I dont know why. I'm sure I've been in hotter and more humid days, but today nearly killed me.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Winter creates hard work in a way summer does not (snow shoveling or snow blowing or plowing). Grass cutting in 92 heat way worse

Winter often means you can't do what you wanted to do (can't drive to x b/c roads are horrible and we're expecting 5 inches of snow). Can't golf as its too damn hot out

Winter means everything around you is dead, gray, lifeless, and there aren't even any smells outside or birds singing. The smell and sights after a fresh snow is amazing

Winter means wearing layers of clothing, long pants, socks all the time...my knees and lips are always chafed, chapped, and dry. Summer means always having sweat in your clothes

Summer means everything is green and alive, fresh grass/earth/plant smells are everywhere, birds sing away...and a heat wave never piles up 2 feet of snow at the base of your driveway at 5:00am that you now have to remove before you can drive somewhere. Winter means a heat wave never cancels your outside plans..

In summer you can get away with wearing minimal clothing and it just feels so much more comfortable and natural to me to be wearing shorts, bare foot, and a t-shirt or no shirt at all if I'm home. In winter, your  clothing  options  are endless

Summer means very long days and lots of light. and long days of being stuck inside cause it's to odamn hot to go outside

I can go on.

I'm living in S. FL. these days and it is some degree of "summer" 12 months a year.  It's f-ing incredible, at least from a weather perspective.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

Snow shoveling > Mowing, grass, yardwork

I'd take snow shoveling any day... Relaxing if done properly, take your time.  Heck, I do the neighbors on both sides... Don't have a snow blower either... Then when we do get dumped on, they have the snow blowers... I clean, edge and make neat... 95% just prefer shovel...  I can do it at all hours of night and don't wake the neighborhood!  Shoveling does a better job.

Snow removal way better than yardwork!!!! 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

7 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Today was brutal.  Temp was mid 80's but it seriously felt like the hottest day ever. I dont know why. I'm sure I've been in hotter and more humid days, but today nearly killed me.

My office and home are air conditioned modestly so I didn’t notice it the last week, but the cat is feeling it.

11 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Winter creates hard work in a way summer does not (snow shoveling or snow blowing or plowing).

Winter often means you can't do what you wanted to do (can't drive to x b/c roads are horrible and we're expecting 5 inches of snow).

Winter means everything around you is dead, gray, lifeless, and there aren't even any smells outside or birds singing.

Winter means wearing layers of clothing, long pants, socks all the time...my knees and lips are always chafed, chapped, and dry.

Summer means everything is green and alive, fresh grass/earth/plant smells are everywhere, birds sing away...and a heat wave never piles up 2 feet of snow at the base of your driveway at 5:00am that you now have to remove before you can drive somewhere.

In summer you can get away with wearing minimal clothing and it just feels so much more comfortable and natural to me to be wearing shorts, bare foot, and a t-shirt or no shirt at all if I'm home.

Summer means very long days and lots of light.

I can go on.

*mic drop*

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That's a steaming pile of horseshit right there.

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I'd take snow shoveling any day... Relaxing if done properly, take your time.  Heck, I do the neighbors on both sides... Don't have a snow blower either... Then when we do get dumped on, they have the snow blowers... I clean, edge and make neat... 95% just prefer shovel...  I can do it at all hours of night and don't wake the neighborhood!  Shoveling does a better job.

Who wants to take their time doing something when it's !@#$ing freezing outside?

If you really mean everything you wrote, you're mentally ill.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Reminded me of a former neighbor I used to have.  She lived alone and was widowed.  She had a small driveway so Id usually try and shovel it for her with my dad in snow storms. The lady couldn’t physically do it.

She gave us a little money but as reward would make the best stuffed peppers & cabbage I’ve ever eaten in my life.  Coulda been rich if she sold her recipe 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Who wants to take their time doing something when it's !@#$ing freezing outside?

Even @ work I prefer snow removal, plowing, etc... Lawn maintenance is the worst, weed eating, mowing on a tractor...etc...

Don't get me wrong... When there is no work to be done, I like the nice weather! BUT, when there is work to be done... I wish it was 25° & 10 feet of snow!

I hate doing yardwork vs. snow removal.  

26 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

This guy gets it. After all, he lives in American Siberia

We only get an average of 35" of snow here a year... 

...Last winter it was so funny @ work.  People were coming to blows because we had 9 days in a row of measureable snow... 9!  LMAO... I was like: "Settle down people, just over a week of snow.  LoL..."

Again... If I am gonna do work... It's in the cold.  I become lazy in the heat... A do nothing... I let my lawn go for a month in the summer... Or more.  Now, in winter, I am out there catching every flake while the lazy people are making it hard on themselves even more, complaining, trudging through, getting stuck...

Getting out in the snow, early and often makes life easier in long run... Makes, sets up next snow removal job to go easier... Is practical and has a purpose... It gets people from Point A to Point B without an issue.  Grass?  It's just aesthetics until it needs to be cut for other reasons.

Work smart, not hard.  

Yes... I am mentally ill!  LMAO... It's 90° today and I slept till Noon... A/C blasting 73° in here... I dread stepping out side two feet from The Sun!  Shades/blinds all pulled down, ceiling fans going... Make it a cave!  LoL...

29 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Reminded me of a former neighbor I used to have.  She lived alone and was widowed.  She had a small driveway so Id usually try and shovel it for her with my dad in snow storms. The lady couldn’t physically do it.

She gave us a little money but as reward would make the best stuffed peppers & cabbage I’ve ever eaten in my life.  Coulda been rich if she sold her recipe 

Two houses down there is a 90 something widow... Neighbors and I are her snow removal... Always help the neighbors first (when time permits) and work back to your house.

Winter is no time to get fat.  Heat... I hate to eat in heat anyway!  Who eats in the heat!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

27 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

This guy gets it. After all, he lives in American Siberia

LMAO... 

You can either wait during a snow event... Or get your lazy arse out there ASAP... And make it easier on yourself in the future... OR: You can be like a lazy Southerner and say: "God giveth, God taketh!"  But in Siberia in December, The Sun doesn't get over the house... If You don't get your lazy arse out, you'll be needing  iceskates & crampons for your driveway till March!  And at 50... I don't want to skate going to my car every day till God takeths! 

?

Anyway... I gotta get my lazy azz up and pretend I was doing something in this heat!  Before the Bossman (wife) gets home and whoops my butt!  

?

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Galumpki's/polish cabbage rolls...awesome.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm raising a white flag for the first time in my life.....$700 for a plowing service..includes shoveling my front sidewalk,front porch and the back patio deck.