Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

Just now, Wily Dog said:

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’m not a detractor. I think I like him more than a lot of people (and maybe more than I should), but this season is all about getting the #7 pick in the draft up to speed and into NFL football games for the Buffalo Bills. 

Did you read my initial post? it says that < until Allen is ready.

Just a few quick thoughts I want to share:

1.) Anyone who truly, honestly has already written off Peterman's entire career due to one bad game is being foolish. One game does not a career make.

2.) Any true Bills fan only wants success for the team, and will therefore happily cheer on whichever QB wins the starting spot and root for said player to succeed. People who have already made up their minds so steadfastly that Peterman won't be that guy or, worse, that McDermott would be making a huge mistake by starting Peterman, are also being foolish and petty.

3.) AJ McCarron was drafted in the 5th round, just like Peterman. Aside from a head start of a few years of pro time, what does McCarron really have over Peterman in terms of advantages? Both guys have arms that are "just good enough". Both guys will have to win games with their brains rather than their physical attributes. Both are learning a brand new offense. Both are said to be super intelligent. Would it really be that shocking if Peterman beat out AJ McCarron?

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The Blizzard game was played at one thousandth speed. There is zero anyone can take away from that game from any player as far as speed of the game goes. 

It wasnt only two games. It was his college career and last year's preseason, too. He was not good against the rush in preseason last year at all. He didn't display sufficient arm strength in preseason last year at all. 

Yet our FO/coaching staff thought enough of him to give him a start in his rookie season.

Just now, SWATeam said:

Yet our FO/coaching staff thought enough of him to give him a start in his rookie season.

And benched him at halftime and then immediately did something hardly any HC makes, admitting he made a huge unforced error of a mistake that hurt the team in playoff contention. 

4 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

Did you read my initial post? it says that < until Allen is ready.

Honestly, I jumped in late. I wasn’t disagreeing, just pointing out that BY FAR the biggest thing to watch this year is Allen’s progress. The other things are not even remotely as important. Oh, and I agree.... it’s all on the coaches to make the call. It’s not going to affect MY ability to put food on the table. Messing this up would be hard for them to recover from. 

13 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

A desperate move by a failing OC trying to assign the blame to anyone but himself.

And he fell on the sword because of it. I have been told by some people in the know that was 100% Rico’s decision. He pushed McDermott to make that move to someone that could “execute his offense.” McDermott gave him what he wanted. It failed. Rico was fired. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Logic said:

1.) Anyone who truly, honestly has already written off Peterman's entire career due to one bad game is being foolish. One game does not a career make.

2.) Any true Bills fan only wants success for the team, and will therefore happily cheer on whichever QB wins the starting spot and root for said player to succeed. People who have already made up their minds so steadfastly that Peterman won't be that guy or, worse, that McDermott would be making a huge mistake by starting Peterman, are also being foolish and petty.

3.) AJ McCarron was drafted in the 5th round, just like Peterman. Aside from a head start of a few years of pro time, what does McCarron really have over Peterman in terms of advantages? Both guys have arms that are "just good enough". Both guys will have to win games with their brains rather than their physical attributes. Both are learning a brand new offense. Both are said to be super intelligent. Would it really be that shocking if Peterman beat out AJ McCarron?

I've been saying it. It wouldn't be shocking at all. After they picked up McCarron, I watched his pro games and saw a very similar QB. He looked just okay.

If anyone has an advantage, it's Peterman. More familiarity with the guys who were on the team last year and he is more mobile than McCarron.

McCarron simply presented himself as quality competition at a good price. A smart acquisition, but not acquired to be the defacto starter.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

And he fell on the sword because of it. I have been told by some people in the know that was 100% Rico’s decision. He pushed McDermott to make that move to someone that could “execute his offense.” McDermott gave him what he wanted. It failed. Rico was fired. 

You are still in la la land as to what really happened in that game. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Thanks for the laugh. Kirby's clipped toenails know more football than a lot of Bills fans. 

Good for  Kirby's toenails , If Kirby knows what really happened and it was reported at the time , he must have ignored it.

55 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I actually liked Tuel. Went to the training camp where he was making all of our other Qb's look bad especially Manuel. 

tuel was a good example of buffalo history on destroying the early careers of qbs with potential. will it continue? i hope and truly believe this staff is smart enough to do it right, but this team has been horrible at developing young qbs.

46 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We have talked about this at length before but that is not a good sign for McD. Hopefully he learned from his gross misjudgment like he asks and requires of his players. 

We have talked about this at length before but that is not a good sign for McD. Hopefully he learned from his gross misjudgment like he asks and requires of his players. 

I think so. He grew a lot last year IMO. McDermott is going to end up being a good coach. He gave Rico what he asked for and held him accountable. He also took the bullet instead of throwing him under the bus like Colangelo did with his wife.

• Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, Augie said:

Honestly, I jumped in late. I wasn’t disagreeing, just pointing out that BY FAR the biggest thing to watch this year is Allen’s progress. The other things are not even remotely as important. Oh, and I agree.... it’s all on the coaches to make the call. It’s not going to affect MY ability to put food on the table. Messing this up would be hard for them to recover from. 

.....no rush Augie...think the final pecking order will be:

1. McCarron

2. Allen

3. Peterman (PS)

.......IMO, McBeane played his card brilliantly with McCarron....he waited for the QB signing feeding frenzy ended, the dust settled and THEN grabbed AJ for what he was willing to pay.....and I'd bet a large portion of the $7 mil in incentives are NLTBE.....just a guess.........

3/14/2018: Signed a two-year, $10 million contract. Deal includes $6 million guaranteed. Another $7 million is available through incentives. 2018: $900,000, 2019: $3 million, 2020: Free Agent

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think so. He grew a lot last year IMO. McDermott is going to end up being a good coach. He gave Rico what he asked for and held him accountable. He also took the bullet instead of throwing him under the bus like Colangelo did with his wife.

Yeah I like him for the most part and also think he will be a good coach. My problem is really seeing that this could possibly be a good idea in a playoff race versus letting his OC talk him into something that drastic. 

In today’s big news.  

Josh Allen will begin to “periodically” receive reps with the first-team offense “from time to time, moving forward," starting this week during minicamp. Allen will still work with the third-team offense “by and large,” according to McDermott.

4 snaps did I hear? 

Other than the four snaps Josh Allen took with the first team, Nathan Peterman took the other 18 snaps with the Bills' top unit in 11-on-11 work during Tuesday's minicamp practice. Peterman, who also looked sharp with the first team last Thursday at OTAs, went 10-of-13 passing and ended the practice with a well-executed touchdown to undrafted rookie free agent wide receiver Cam Phillips.

So fellas let’s slow our roll and see how this all plays out.  

May the best man win.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I still don't understand why it bothers people still. Tyrod scored 3 points in his first playoff appearance and possibly the only experience he will ever have as a starter in an actual playoff game. The Browns isn't happening. 

The entire offenseive was getting shut down to the point of embarrassment. When it was good it never dominant only just sufficient and it felt like most games the team rode the defense to hold any score. 

When you get as many turnovers as the defense got last year you should be dominating games with those opportunities. So what if that random rookie Peterman did start looking appealing. 

The real mistake was starting him against the Chargers HC. A guy that has good knowledge of the Bills. 

1 hour ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I actually liked Tuel. Went to the training camp where he was making all of our other Qb's look bad especially Manuel. 

Tuel was the player who finally put the nails in Jerky Sullivan's coffin for me.  After a decent outing in a preseason game, worthy of some mention, Sullivan wrote of 'some third string guy whose name I couldn't be bothered to remember'.  Trying for the cool sportswriter who's seen it all before attitude.  Instead, he came off as the jerk on the barstool 3 spaces down.  Tuel never panned out as an NFL talent, but he was good for showing me what a talentless f*** Sullivan is.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The ones who benched him after 30 mins and admitted to the team it was an error to start him?

They fired Dennison at least in part because of that decision, and they brought Peterman back to compete for the starting position. Whatever everyone thinks of Peterman we should all be able to agree that he has a legitimate chance of starting this season. That chance may be very small, although I'm starting to wonder if his chances are really any worse than McCarron's.

McDermott isn't the type to waste time. When he knows something doesn't work he moves on right away. Look at all the trades he made, look how quickly he fired his OC, look how quickly he gave Tyrod's backup a chance and how quickly he went back to Tyrod. If he didn't have some level of trust in Peterman he certainly wouldn't be wasting time giving him 1st team reps. He more likely would have outright cut him.

McDermott said today he wants to have the starting QB declared by training camp or during training camp. Allen has taken less than 5 total reps with the 1st team offense so I personally don't see him being named the starter that quickly - they're bringing him along slowly, as they should. That leaves McCarron and Peterman as the potential starters and there's no reason to think that competition is just for show.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4

24 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I still don't understand why it bothers people still. Tyrod scored 3 points in his first playoff appearance and possibly the only experience he will ever have as a starter in an actual playoff game. The Browns isn't happening. 

The entire offenseive was getting shut down to the point of embarrassment. When it was good it never dominant only just sufficient and it felt like most games the team rode the defense to hold any score. 

When you get as many turnovers as the defense got last year you should be dominating games with those opportunities. So what if that random rookie Peterman did start looking appealing. 

The real mistake was starting him against the Chargers HC. A guy that has good knowledge of the Bills. 

There were ten reasons why it was a completely horrible decision before the game started. I don’t think anyone here questions McD’s ability to make good decisions on and coach defense. He has yet to show he can do it on offense and he is ultimately responsible for the offense. He cannot make gross errors of judgment like that or he/we will not succeed. 

There were ten reasons why it was a completely horrible decision before the game started. I don’t think anyone here questions McD’s ability to make good decisions on and coach defense. He has yet to show he can do it on offense and he is ultimately responsible for the offense. He cannot make gross errors of judgment like that or he/we will not succeed. 

...probably WAAAAAY off base, but I still think the decision was owned by Dennison because he did not or could not consistently work with TT...McD fell on the sword.....and now Dennison is gone...as is TT.....interesting??.......

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

McDermott isn't the type to waste time. When he knows something doesn't work he moves on right away. Look at all the trades he made, look how quickly he fired his OC, look how quickly he gave Tyrod's backup a chance and how quickly he went back to Tyrod. If he didn't have some level of trust in Peterman he certainly wouldn't be wasting time giving him 1st team reps. He more likely would have outright cut him.

McDermott said today he wants to have the starting QB declared by training camp or during training camp. Allen has taken less than 10 total reps with the 1st team offense so I personally don't see him being named the starter that quickly - they're bringing him along slowly, as they should. That leaves McCarron and Peterman as the potential starters and there's no reason to think that competition is just for show.

I second this...

I don't get why some are saying that Peterman has "no chance" to be the starter Week 1... He is probably still the outsider behind AJ , but from the media reports I am reading on here it appears that he is going well in practice.. What else can he do other than that at this point in time?

We still have to go through the camp and pre season games so there is a long way to go...  If he has "nervous issues" as others have said than he is going to be found out through that process..

Can I say though, that it seems to me that there are a couple of posters here that have already made up their minds about him and it appears that their hubris dictates that they would rather be right about their opinion than have him improve for the betterment of the team...

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I second this...

I don't get why some are saying that Peterman has "no chance" to be the starter Week 1... He is probably still the outsider behind AJ , but from the media reports I am reading on here it appears that he is going well in practice.. What else can he do other than that at this point in time?

We still have to go through the camp and pre season games so there is a long way to go...  If he has "nervous issues" as others have said than he is going to be found out through that process..

Can I say though, that it seems to me that there are a couple of posters here that have already made up their minds about him and it appears that their hubris dictates that they would rather be right about their opinion than have him improve for the betterment of the team...

I’m assuming that I am one of those posters that you are referring to? Yes, I have made up my mind that he will never be a good NFL QB. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong but I’ve seen enough to believe that I will be right. I hope he turns into Aaron Rodgers. I just don’t see it. I don’t care to be right. I care that the Bills win. 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Not a bad take at all Logic. perspective. I did like #3 especially.

it should not be shocking that any one of the three are able to start under this staff.
looking forward to keeping up with how they each progress. I think they each should be considered potential starters at this point.

...regardless, I'd be comfortable if the initial pecking order was:

1. McCarron
2. Allen
3. Peterman (PS)

...don't see a need just yet to rush the Allen kid....despite OBD historically being the "Mecca of QB Evaluation & Development", the new gang from FO to Admin to between the stripes know their stuff IMO...pace the kid's growth and development.....think that the McCarron kid proves to be able and the Peterman continues to surprise with his development(PS)...when is the last time we have had this kind of POTENTIAL QB depth?.....

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m assuming that I am one of those posters that you are referring to? Yes, I have made up my mind that he will never be a good NFL QB. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong but I’ve seen enough to believe that I will be right. I hope he turns into Aaron Rodgers. I just don’t see it. I don’t care to be right. I care that the Bills win. 

You may have made up your mind on him but McDermott hasn't. And that's really what this discussion is about. They're going to name the starter during training camp, this isn't a redux of the Tyrod/EJ/Cassel competition that went until the end of preseason. The fact that Peterman is still taking first team reps means he is very much in contention. I would wager he and McCarron have an equal chance to be the starter, and that their cumulative chances are better than Allen's. If we're only keeping 2 QBs and McCarron doesn't definitively separate himself from Peterman I don't see how he makes the team.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yet you think Allen has a shot with zero games? 

As I’ve said.  In order throughout the 18 season - AJM  NP JA.  

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

A desperate move by a failing OC trying to assign the blame to anyone but himself.

perhaps.

it was a Dennison-ey move for sure though. I am going to ponder hiring a bit longer.
Any body think Brian and BeanesDermott  ever had  a chat a bout what ifs ?? with Brian well before his hiring ?

Like maybe before Bills acquired Rico ...
Daboll knows what he wants to do at QB. Peterman and AJ are certainly comparable enough to design a very similar offense for that play to their strengths. Allen is actually the wildcard i think.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You may have made up your mind on him but McDermott hasn't. And that's really what this discussion is about. They're going to name the starter during training camp, this isn't a redux of the Tyrod/EJ/Cassel competition that went until the end of preseason. The fact that Peterman is still taking first team reps means he is very much in contention. I would wager he and McCarron have an equal chance to be the starter, and that their cumulative chances are better than Allen's. If we're only keeping 2 QBs and McCarron doesn't definitively separate himself from Peterman I don't see how he makes the team.

I was responding to a passive aggressive post saying that some people have made up their minds on him. I’m not going to hide from my opinion. I hope that I’m wrong. 

They will name the starter whenever the time is right. We are so far from actual games mattering. There is no reason or to wait. They are rotating reps now. The plan is to get Allen ready to be the guy. That may be day 1 or 2018 or day 1 or 2019. They aren’t going to sacrifice any of his development to get someone else ready. His development is the single most important thing on this team. It takes priority over everything else. 

They aren’t cutting McCarron. If anything, he gets traded. 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Thanks for the laugh. Kirby's clipped toenails know more football than a lot of Bills fans. 

you could come up with a better analogy ?
I don't even know Kirby.

but wtf are his clipped toenails doing in this ?
disgusting , both of you.

reported

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Yet you think Allen has a shot with zero games? 

As I’ve said.  In order throughout the 18 season - AJM  NP JA.  

I don’t have Allen way behind a guy that has been picked in 6 of his 52 pass attempts or a guy with less than a handful of starts. Experience isn’t a factor at all in this qb battle. Allen’s development is the only consideration. They are trying to set him up to succeed. If he isn’t ready day 1 he won’t play. If he isn’t ready week 14, he won’t play. If he is ready week 1, he will play. If he is ready week 14, he will play. That is the entire plan. Put Allen in position to succeed and let everything else fall into place. 

22 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ok great...

You have an opinion like all of us but I assume you are not right 100% of the time.. If you are than your opinions are wasted here...

I also think it is possible for a QB to improve, particularly a rookie going from his first season to the next.. Do you?

In respect of Week 1, I don't care who the QB is provided that person is the best option on the team at the point in time.. If that's Peterman than fine by me...

57 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Tuel was the player who finally put the nails in Jerky Sullivan's coffin for me.  After a decent outing in a preseason game, worthy of some mention, Sullivan wrote of 'some third string guy whose name I couldn't be bothered to remember'.  Trying for the cool sportswriter who's seen it all before attitude.  Instead, he came off as the jerk on the barstool 3 spaces down.  Tuel never panned out as an NFL talent, but he was good for showing me what a talentless f*** Sullivan is.

Don't recall those details. but chuckled any ways. sully doing sully.
I liked Tuel. I am not ashamed to say it..

Bills have NEVER had a QB whisperer. Gailey might get a positive rating with Fitz , but that is about it. Can the current staff actually Coach any of these guys up ?

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Ok great...

You have an opinion like all of us but I assume you are not right 100% of the time.. If you are than your opinions are wasted here...

I also think it is possible for a QB to improve, particularly a rookie going from his first season to the next.. Do you?

In respect of Week 1, I don't care who the QB is provided that person is the best option on the team at the point in time.. If that's Peterman than fine by me...

It is possible to improve and it looks like he has. I’m certainly not always right and never claimed to be.

I do have an issue with your passive aggressive approach. If you want to challenge people on their opinions, go for it. Don’t say this:

Can I say though, that it seems to me that there are a couple of posters here that have already made up their minds about him and it appears that their hubris dictates that they would rather be right about their opinion than have him improve for the betterment of the team.

If you have a problem with someone’s opinion  address it. Questioning that anyone here, wants anything other than what is best for the Bills is absurd. I have posted 21,547 times in 5 1/2 years on this board. Do you really think that I’d rather be right than the team succeed?!?

1 hour ago, Lfod said:

this is an excellent point. Any Coach might well consider that factor ?
So maybe just maybe it factored into why Nate started. was it announced late. I don't recall. Because i was quite surprised.
Perhaps Bills were being too cute trying to outsmart Lynn ? reaching i know..