Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Do we just overhype every qb we draft?  I actually feel bad for NP.  He should have never started last year.  He’s a lot closer to be out of the league than starting.  Love it if he surprised but this was hardly a special talent.  And his best trait was he was the most “nfl ready” and we saw how that went.  He is at his ceiling already.

Everybody is looking to find "the next Brady*" (i.e., the late round wunderkind).  When you have pundits calling a 5th round pick "most NFL-ready" the overreaction is understandable -- and then, once he gets on an NFL playing field, you see the reasons why he was a 5th round pick.

I don't think what happened with Brady* is likely to ever happen again.  The amount of information available and scouting on these guys is so much more voluminous than it was back then.  I think that in this day and age, once you get past the 3rd round the chances of finding a "star" at QB drop precipitously -- like, to zero.

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Everybody is looking to find "the next Brady*" (i.e., the late round wunderkind).  When you have pundits calling a 5th round pick "most NFL-ready" the overreaction is understandable -- and then, once he gets on an NFL playing field, you see the reasons why he was a 5th round pick.

I don't think what happened with Brady* is likely to ever happen again.  The amount of information available and scouting on these guys is so much more voluminous than it was back then.  I think that in this day and age, once you get past the 3rd round the chances of finding a "star" at QB drop precipitously -- like, to zero.

You hit it right on the head. Peterman was a fifth round selection from a major college. So it is evident that he was well vetted. I can see a player from a small school who is drafted in a low round be a surprise talent but that would be due to the fact that it is very challenging to judge a player when playing against lower caliber talent. 

It's my belief that Peterman was properly drafted. He was selected where he should have been picked. There is no shame to that. That doesn't mean that he can't have a useful role as a backup. Tyrod Taylor was drafted in the sixth round. I don't consider him a franchise qb.  But that doesn't mean he can't have a productive career in the league, as he has demonstrated. 

2 hours ago, billsfan60 said:

All we know for sure is there will be an uptick in QB play from here on out

We do not know this for sure. I remember people saying the same thing when Manuel started a couple games, and again when Peterman started last year. If Peterman or McCarron had a $16 million cap hit do you think we could get a high 3rd round pick for them??

I know, I know, there will be haters on me for this thread, but someone has to take the opposite view to

someone predicting he will be the #1 QB starting the season.

Please, please let us hope not.

Is anyone forgetting he was passed over more than 100 times in the draft, and Tom Bradys do not grow on trees.

I don't know what NFL records he holds in the league for his performance in 2017, but I remember him starting the

year with picks, and closing out the season against the Jags with a pick.

To answer my own question, maybe McD likes him, maybe he has shown improvement throwing to pee wees

over the winter, maybe, maybe, maybe. We all better hope he is not QB#1 against the Ravens, and that is my

opinion.

I got nuthin... 

I mean, does it matter?

Hopefully,  Allen or AJ takes care of business and it's a moot point. Worst case, crap hit the fan and if he is the man-all is already lost.

Not quite backup kicker level, but who cares? 

If we dont notice him then I'd imagine that means he is doing his job. 

Edited by gobills1212

Nathan Peterman has a decently live arm and can be pretty darn accurate when he has a clean pocket. When he’s getting crushed by JJ Watt repeatedly in his first start he also showed he can turn the ball over plenty too. 

That said - for McDermott to make the move he did last season to put in Peterman it tells me that Peterman must perform really well in practice. I truly believe the coaching staff expected him to go out there and light it up. 

The biggest shame isn’t that performance but the fact that his other start was in the snow storm game where it was nearly impossible to evaluate him. He made plenty of clutch throws in AWFUL conditions and that really showed me something. Especially some of those back shoulder throws to a hobbled looking Benjamin. 

Remember - we don’t get to see what happens in practices all season.. The coaching staff does.

I do believe Nate has a realistic shot at winning the job and performing well. McCarron doesn’t have great stats. He has one meh playoff game where he almost got a win. I watched him at Alabama bc my wife and I are Bama fans as well and while he’s a real good leader he was probably the weak link of that offense in that he had elite talent around him but he was limited in what he could do. He was just trustworthy with the football. 

Edited by SoCoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

I know, I know, there will be haters on me for this thread, but someone has to take the opposite view to

someone predicting he will be the #1 QB starting the season.

Please, please let us hope not.

Is anyone forgetting he was passed over more than 100 times in the draft, and Tom Bradys do not grow on trees.

I don't know what NFL records he holds in the league for his performance in 2017, but I remember him starting the

year with picks, and closing out the season against the Jags with a pick.

To answer my own question, maybe McD likes him, maybe he has shown improvement throwing to pee wees

over the winter, maybe, maybe, maybe. We all better hope he is not QB#1 against the Ravens, and that is my

opinion.

Wow I can’t believe all the cuts have been already made and our roster ( of 53 )  is set fore the season opener before the training camp even started ,