Shots Fired! Tim Graham calls out Vic Carruci for Posing with The Biscuit

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

Whether your religious or not the biblical verse about throwing the first stone at those with sin is pretty true here. 

Interesting thought:  Couldn't TG's criticism of Vic being in the picture with Bennett extend to Jimbo inviting him in the first place?   

If Corney's such menace to society and all-round moral scourge, why would a highly religious couple like Jim and Jill even associate with him?   My God, children may have attended that golf outing.   How would you ever explain backdoor action gone bad to them...    

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Talk about parsing language and a weak semantic approach.

Again.........it wasn't by any means necessarily a "crime he didn't commit".    In fact he served time, which indicates a good degree of guilt.

Don't quit your day job, counselor.

Like you didn’t know I was clearly talking about Graham’s false report about being Bennett being convicted of RAPE. It was clear to everyone else here but not you for some reason. Your blind defense of everything Graham and the subsequent bashing of anyone who calls him out renders you incapable of reasonable debate on the subject. 

I understand why you need to lump me in with anyone that would defend Bennett’s abhorrent behavior, but I didn’t and never have. Just more of your dishonest approach to debate. 

As as far as I’m concerned, our particular exchange on the matter is finished. 

Just for the record I am not condoning any of this.....simply put Bennet messed up regardless of plea to a lesser charge (I have recently seen someone go through this so I understand how the workings of the legal process can sometimes skew what actually happened and frankly I give THAT person no pass either cuz he was stupid)

but

Did Bennet not serve the time for his admitted crime?   At what point does it not be ok to bring these things out the the national front by a sportswriter?  

I think what Tim Graham did was wrong.....just like what Biscuit did all those years ago was also wrong.   Who is Tim Graham to bring that out to the fore front just because he feels like it?  He is not reporting legit news......but he is using his standing as a journalist to bring it up for no apparent reason.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The point was not Biscuit's guilt or innocence. But Graham throwing Carucci under a bus while at a charity event. Don't get distracted. Why did Graham wait for that moment to bring up Bennett's history? He had 20 years to do it.

Perhaps it’s because the #metoo movement is topical combined with Graham’s reluctance to acquaint himself with facts before spouting off.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where are you getting that anyone is defending a sexual assault, much less claiming the guy is innocent?

You appear to be creating positions so you can argue against them

Lot of that going on in here.

39 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Of course it was about Vic. Graham said, "Strange to see my coworker with his arm around a convicted rapist." No different than if he had said, " Strange to see my coworker wearing a dress." It was about publicly passing judgment on what Vic was doing. Who knows the reason why? Given what we know about Graham, we can only assume that the reason was petty and about propping up his very fragile ego in some way.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Rico said:

Interesting take, thanks. Something going on behind the scenes led to this, no doubt.

I think Russ Brandon was fired for some truly heinous, scum-of-the-earth, subhuman actions. Could be that Vic fought hard for some reason with the editors to keep the truth from being released, and TG didn’t appreciate it.

:)

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The fact that it was Jim Kelly's charity event seems entirely inconsequential.    It wasn't about the event.   Nobody asked why JK invited a person who had done time after sex assault claims.    In 2018 people are getting called out for their past sexual assaults.   The perpetrators just gotta' deal with it.   Consequences.

I disagree that it's inconsequential.  The choice of context a media figure makes for a call-out is relevant.  If nothing else, it influences the respect and access Graham has with those involved in the event, and influences reader perception of Graham.

You're quite correct that no one asked why JK invited a guest convicted of sexual misconduct, who served time for it 20 years ago.  I frankly would have respected Graham if he posed that question in that light.  It's a relevant question for today - when someone has been convicted and served time for a crime, when is it relevant to revisit, and when is it relevant to allow them to move on?  That would be hard-hitting journalism.

In this case though, that isn't what happened.  Graham didn't tweet "Why has a guy who once faced felony rape charges been invited as an honored guest at a charity event?"  He called out Carrucci as his colleague.  We both seem to agree (despite Graham's later denial) that it was, in fact, a call-out of Vic Carrucci, likely due to something going on behind the scenes.  For the rest, we disagree.  You seem to see Bennett's 20 year old conviction as "fair game" to revisit and fair game to mischaracterize; I feel that the whole crime/punishment/debt to society paid thing is meaningless if we don't mark the debt "paid" at some point and move on (if Bennett had not been charged and served time and been sued at the time, the case might differ).   I also feel accuracy is important to a serious journalist - convicted of sexual misconduct (misdemeanor) is not the same legally as convicted of rape (felony).   You say the fact that it's JK's charity event is inconsequential; I say it's a douche move by Graham to use JK's charity event as his platform for throwing mud at Carrucci and Bennett.

34 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That's revisionist.    Either Graham can't choose appropriate words carefully (in which case he's in the wrong field - but we all know he's quite capable of using words very well), or, when he chooses to call out his colleague Carrucci for posing with his arm around a "convicted rapist", he's doing so because it is indeed about Vic.

Otherwise why not just leave Vic and his bro-hug pose out of it and zero in on his real point?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The fact that it was Jim Kelly's charity event seems entirely inconsequential.    It wasn't about the event.   Nobody asked why JK invited a person who had done time after sex assault claims.    In 2018 people are getting called out for their past sexual assaults.   The perpetrators just gotta' deal with it.   Consequences.

Dude, you're so woke.

I mean you're woke the !@#$ up woke.

I wish I was as woke as you are.

26 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Load of Mularkey.

haha graham beat me to the woke thing.

he so woke yo.

Edited by joesixpack

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

What I don't get is why so many writers from The News, while good writers, feel that have the right to act like complete jerks when on social media or other platforms where they interact directly with fans.  Graham is one; while I'm not on Twitter I emailed him once to comment on a story he wrote and got comments back that were on a grade school level, about how he didn't care about my opinion of his story, etc.  A recent thread here about Sullivan and Gleason had John Wawrow weighing in, and he specifically indicated he feels he is snarky and his comments were frankly insulting towards folks who wanted to engage in an actual dialog.  And of course Sullivan is legendary, as is Gleason, for their animosity towards fans.

Shout out to sport writers:  You're not that important.  Doctors are important.  Nurses.  Teachers.  Police officers and firemen.  You?  Not so much.  Yes, you are gifted in writing (I like much of what these guys write, although the style and the personal insults etc. were my objections to Sullivan and Gleason) but that does not give you the right to act like temperamental three year olds who have their favorite toy taken away when a reader doesn't agree and dares to express their opinion.  If you have to act that way, either grow up or stay off social media.  Ultimately it's the reader that is your consumer; you don't have a consumer you don't have a job (maybe Sullivan and Gleason just learned that).

i've been snarky since i joined this board many moons ago.

i am snarky to those whom i have little time for, given the things they've posted.

i've engaged plenty with people in "actual dialog."

in fact, i'm doing so now.

which is it? i don't think you're giving a "shout out to sports writer."

also never said i was all that important. in fact, i've often noted the opposite, given that my wife is a teacher.

and yet, you're the one that keeps mentioning me and my colleagues.

actually, it's credibility.

we get readers because we have established that one thing in our career. otherwise, i don't give two craps whether you like me.

jw

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I had not previously heard of this charge, and consequent nickname, as I left the area the year before and did not return until 2012. 

So I just read about the charges and ruling and whatnot; yikes. Put the Biscuit up there with Jim Kelly as sports heroes in Blo who were scumbags off the field. ALLEGEDLY...

All the families of the  babies and children who's lives were saved as a result of Hunter's Hope beg to differ with you. 

• Like (+1) 1