Mahomes turned down Endorsements as a rookie

https://sports.yahoo.com/patrick-mahomes-declined-endorsement-money-deference-alex-smith-last-season-010612684.html

"Mahomes and his agent Leigh Steinberg talked to ESPN about how he declined local endorsements last year in deference to veteran starter Alex Smith. Steinberg said that Mahomes got some of the offers that come with being a first-round rookie, but chose to focus instead on finding his place in the locker room before having his face plastered on Kansas City billboards while Smith was still the starter."

Anyone living in WNY know how the local endorsement scene is going with Josh Allen? Not that we have an incumbent starter like Smith on this roster, but just curious if his face is all over billboards and commercials already.

Think it shows a lot of character to turn down money and exposure, just so you can integrate into the team better. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Can’t say I would have done the same.

I wouldn't either. More people other than Mahomes may have done so, but I haven't heard of it until now.

Just funny to think some people said Mahomes wouldn't really fit in as a "Buffalo kinda guy," but this reminds me of the high quality *character* players the Bills frequently want on their team.

Just made me curious as to how WNY looks right now on the Josh Allen front. Is he already appearing in local car dealership commercials? Is he on local website ads promoting a grocery chain? Even if he is, doesn't mean much, but with the dumb Twitter controversy he had right before the draft, I wonder if it's made him more cautious about trying to get off on the right foot with his new teammates, and integrate into the locker room more quietly.

This is a cool story and props to Mahomes for doing what he did.

This is also completely different from the Buffalo situation.

Allen is competing for the starting gig against two late round picks that have never shown much potential.

Mahomes was a very raw prospect playing behind a pro-bowler that just took his team to the playoffs. Mahomes knew "his place" and Josh Allen's "place" is starting.

• Like (+1) 2

This seems like a contrived story by the agent to make his client look like a great guy for turning down endorsements "in deference to Smith."   PLEASE.   Mahones was the BACKUP.  What endorsements was he being offered, "Sparco Clipboard"?  Also, even if he was offered endorsements, his agent knew he'd make a lot more with endorsements this year as the starter.  Spare me the "look at how great my client is, he did this for Alex Smith."   

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Augie said:

Focus now on being a good QB, and you’ll make far more in the long run in both salary AND endorsements. 

That and you'll get to lobby refs to make calls in your favor as well as author a special cook book.

17 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

That and you'll get to lobby refs to make calls in your favor as well as author a special cook book.

Lobby. Whine. Semantics. 

13 minutes ago, jr1 said:

You should take everything, it can be over in a heartbeat like Bridgwater

I like guys who bet on themselves. Actually, that’s one of the things I liked early about Tyrod. He took less money to take a shot here at being a starter. Despite recent events, it’s worked out well for him.

He’ll make plenty as a first rounder. He could make that generational wealth if he can get really, really good at his job. 

Edited by Augie

4 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I'd take the money. Just my opinion. 

If he had a LeBron/Kobe style shoe deal, sure. If he was offered a deal with Bob’s Tires & Brakes, I’d pass and focus on work. I think what this says most is he didn’t have any fantastic offers. Offers, sure. GREAT offers? Maybe not so much.... 

Trying to turn a negative into a positive and make him beloved in town. 

Just my guess. 

• Like (+1) 1