Mahomes turned down Endorsements as a rookie

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I must have missed it be who was saying that Mahommes wasnt a "buffalo kind of guy"

I know this has been said about Josh Rosen

Ugghhh...don't get me started on Rosen.  I still fear we drafted our own Ken O'Brien ahead of Dan Marino.  I hope to god I'm wrong.

8 hours ago, Rigotz said:

This is a cool story and props to Mahomes for doing what he did.

This is also completely different from the Buffalo situation.

Allen is competing for the starting gig against two late round picks that have never shown much potential.

Mahomes was a very raw prospect playing behind a pro-bowler that just took his team to the playoffs. Mahomes knew "his place" and Josh Allen's "place" is starting.

Josh Allen's place is learning. Yeah, you'd have to think he'll start down the line but that's certainly not his place now.

And McCarron played pretty damn well when given his shot. No, I don't think he'll be our long-term guy either, but he's certainly showed potential. 

6 hours ago, Augie said:

If he had a LeBron/Kobe style shoe deal, sure. If he was offered a deal with Bob’s Tires & Brakes, I’d pass and focus on work. I think what this says most is he didn’t have any fantastic offers. Offers, sure. GREAT offers? Maybe not so much.... 

Trying to turn a negative into a positive and make him beloved in town. 

Just my guess. 

Yeah, this. And the shoe contracts offered to guys who aren't starting yet are mostly the shoe companies being proactive. They want to control the guy's rights down the road if he gets terrific. Proactive deals pay less than superstar deals so you have to think about that as well.

Overall, though, a guy who hasn't won the starting job yet is going to get offers but especially a guy like Mahomes was probably not getting really good offers. Still, a nice decision even if maybe an easy one depending on the offer.

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, this. And the shoe contracts offered to guys who aren't starting yet are mostly the shoe companies being proactive. 

Rumor is "The Good Feet Store" want to hire Allen as a representative.

......but the local gun shops won't due to his inaccuracy

Edited by Ifartalot

13 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

This seems like a contrived story by the agent to make his client look like a great guy for turning down endorsements "in deference to Smith."   PLEASE.   Mahones was the BACKUP.  What endorsements was he being offered, "Sparco Clipboard"?  Also, even if he was offered endorsements, his agent knew he'd make a lot more with endorsements this year as the starter.  Spare me the "look at how great my client is, he did this for Alex Smith."   

Idk.

I agree it's release was a PR fluff piece, but...

I remember Brady Quinn doing commercials, and he never did a damn thing. Would not surprise me if Mahomes got offers, he was a top 10 pick that was traded up for by a playoff team led by Andy Ried.

15 hours ago, BigDingus said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/patrick-mahomes-declined-endorsement-money-deference-alex-smith-last-season-010612684.html

"Mahomes and his agent Leigh Steinberg talked to ESPN about how he declined local endorsements last year in deference to veteran starter Alex Smith. Steinberg said that Mahomes got some of the offers that come with being a first-round rookie, but chose to focus instead on finding his place in the locker room before having his face plastered on Kansas City billboards while Smith was still the starter."

Anyone living in WNY know how the local endorsement scene is going with Josh Allen? Not that we have an incumbent starter like Smith on this roster, but just curious if his face is all over billboards and commercials already.

Think it shows a lot of character to turn down money and exposure, just so you can integrate into the team better. 

Mature kid.

37 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

Rumor is "The Good Feet Store" want to hire Allen as a representative.

......but the local gun shops won't due to his inaccuracy

If that opportunity falls through, is there a local franchisee of the 'Jones Good Ass BBQ and Foot Massage'?

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Just funny to think some people said Mahomes wouldn't really fit in as a "Buffalo kinda guy," but this reminds me of the high quality *character* players the Bills frequently want on their team.

Prove this b.c I don't remember anything of the sort being said about that. So please provide some proof instead of making **** up.

He showed some respect to the incumbent veteran QB. Nice gesture. Nothing else to see here. If he plays well he'll get a lot of endorsement money in the years to come. If he doesn't it was a missed opportunity to cash in while you can. Time will tell whether he made the right decision. 

3 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Idk.

I agree it's release was a PR fluff piece, but...

I remember Brady Quinn doing commercials, and he never did a damn thing. Would not surprise me if Mahomes got offers, he was a top 10 pick that was traded up for by a playoff team led by Andy Ried.

We used to make fun of those Brady Quinn commercials - it was some nutrition bar and he said “Now I’m Done” at the end. We all said “you will be very soon, buddy” ... Browns curse