People should be worried about our Depth

Your premise is that there are a number of credible back-ups that can be simply put in the starting line-up.  That is just not the case almost anywhere in the NFL.  What was the back-up plan for Manning, Luck, Rodgers, and now Brady? How about for Odell Beckham, AJ Green, or Julio Jones.  There just aren't that many great players in the NFL and there are not enough roster spots/cap space to keep veteran back-ups.  

The truth is next man up is near total BS.  For every Dawkins or Groy, that can step in and do a good job, there are 10 or 15 other positions that simply have no good option.  

The concern for lack of depth should be very real.  The issue is there is nothing they nor any other team can do about it.  All they can do is hope for the best, hope injuries don;t decimate one position group, and key players miss minimal time.  

• Like (+1) 1

Can't fill all needs in one offseason.  Defense is obviously a priority for McDermott as well as the offensive line, which were addressed in the draft.  I suspect McD and staff will see what they have in the offensive skill positions this season and fill those holes next offseason.  I'm thinking the Oline may not be as bad as some think, especially if they go back to a power blocking scheme which should cater more toward a running offense.  Quality depth should happen once starting schemes and players are solidified, and is the downside of changing the coaching staff and philosophies as much as the Bills have these past many years.

Why would I worry about depth for this coming season? Are you expecting them to compete for the Super Bowl or something?

I want (and expect them) to do as well as last season but I don't consider them contenders so I'll worry about player development, and worry about depth next year.

Agreed that we are weak on depth.

I just am not worried about wins next season. We're not likely to be good enough to do serious damage anyway. So depth isn't a big concern for me.

Going into the second year of a new regime you're very likely to have depth problems. They shouldn't be unexpected. So I agree with your perception of this roster, but I'm not worried about it at this point and I find it very predictable.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I would imagine if you went on other teams' sites their fans are worried about depth too.

Teams with good GMs and a regime that's been in place for a while tend not to have depth problems, But yeah, the rest of the league does.

5 hours ago, JPP said:

I do agree....my main concern or well i think the biggest concern is the offence.....the line was pretty woeful for the most part of the season but did seem to come together very late in the season...can they build on this with the guys we got now?  The backfield im more confident now than what we had last season however since being predominately a running offence our chances hinges on if these guys on the line can further improve....it does hurt that incognito is gone.....im just hopeful that we dont regress again on the offence.....got a new QB at the helm whomever it maybe....we may essentially improve on the passing game from what Taylor provided but if the line regresses so will the offence on a whole.....time will tell i suppose....

It’ll be interesting to see how the passing game is. Tyrod made up for some O-line deficiencies with his scrambling ability but he also held onto the ball too long at times. He also didn’t make turnovers but he didn’t have many high risk throws.

One thing I liked that I saw with Peterman last season in preseason and his limited regular season playing time was his making quick decisions and getting the ball out.

Whoever plays QB may throw more INTs than Tyrod did, but the passing game could be more of a threat.

Name one team that has quality depth throughout the entire roster. There isn't one. Every team has key players that they can't be as successful without. Even the fabled Patriots. Remember when we beat them at home a few years ago? Because Marsha and JG were suspended/injured. The 3rd string qb wasn't good enough even with BB coaching to beat the Bills. Most teams don't have solid depth throughout because there is a shortage of starting quality players in the league. Most teams have players starting that have no business being first string nfl players, but they are starting because there just aren't that many people on this planet capable of doing the job. The people that are good enough are usually starting, or are burried on a depth chart until someone goes down or coaching sees they are ready (think Milano). I get what you're saying, but if you want 53 starting caliber players on this roster, you will never be happy. 

1 hour ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

Name one team that has quality depth throughout the entire roster. There isn't one. Every team has key players that they can't be as successful without. Even the fabled Patriots. Remember when we beat them at home a few years ago? Because Marsha and JG were suspended/injured. The 3rd string qb wasn't good enough even with BB coaching to beat the Bills. Most teams don't have solid depth throughout because there is a shortage of starting quality players in the league. Most teams have players starting that have no business being first string nfl players, but they are starting because there just aren't that many people on this planet capable of doing the job. The people that are good enough are usually starting, or are burried on a depth chart until someone goes down or coaching sees they are ready (think Milano). I get what you're saying, but if you want 53 starting caliber players on this roster, you will never be happy. 

Of course that is true.  But some teams have more depth than others... and there are teams with depth in certain positions that is very good. It isn't a knock on McDermott and Beane to say the roster lacks depth... they are into year 2 of what is intended to be a pretty full scale transformation of the roster.  There are still holes in starting spots and in backup spots - as you would expect.  

The deepest Bills roster in my memory was the 2014 team, but that was after 4 or 5 seasons of relative continuity in the front office with Nix and then Whaley aiming at the same overriding objective.  Sadly we wasted that roster on a totally inadequate Head Coach.  McDermott in charge of that roster would have won 11 or 12 games.  Let me just remind you all as one example of our 5 receivers on that roster:

- Watkins

- Woods

- Harvin

- Goodwin

- Hogan 

That is pretty stacked. One of those guys has retired but the other 4 are all now established starters on their teams - it was so good we were able to cut Deonte Thompson at the end of camp - he was our leading wide receiver last season!!  The d-line had considerable depth too, we had Gillislee and Karlos backing up McCoy... it was just a much deeper group.  

I think check back in a year's time and you will start to see this roster taking something more like its long term shape.  For this year we are going to have t be coached up to the maximum of our abilities to have a chance at a winning record.  They did it last year, it would be an even more terrific achievement to repeat it.  My desire is they come out of 2018 with positive signs from Josh Allen and with at least one player found on the o-line (maybe McDermott, maybe Bodine, maybe Teller, maybe Groy) and one player found at WR (from the two draft picks, Reilly etc). I expect the D to be pretty solid and somewhere between 8-15 in the league.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Of course that is true.  But some teams have more depth than others... and there are teams with depth in certain positions that is very good. It isn't a knock on McDermott and Beane to say the roster lacks depth... they are into year 2 of what is intended to be a pretty full scale transformation of the roster.  There are still holes in starting spots and in backup spots - as you would expect.  

The deepest Bills roster in my memory was the 2014 team, but that was after 4 or 5 seasons of relative continuity in the front office with Nix and then Whaley aiming at the same overriding objective.  Sadly we wasted that roster on a totally inadequate Head Coach.  McDermott in charge of that roster would have won 11 or 12 games.  Let me just remind you all as one example of our 5 receivers on that roster:

- Watkins

- Woods

- Harvin

- Goodwin

- Hogan 

That is pretty stacked. One of those guys has retied but the other 4 are all now established starters on their teams - it was so good we were able to cut Deonte Thompson at the end of camp - he was our leading wide receiver last season!!  The d-line had considerable depth too, we had Gillislee and Karlos backing up McCoy... it was just a much deeper group.  

I think check back in a year's time and you will start to see this roster taking something more like its long term shape.  For this year we are going to have t be coached up to the maximum of our abilities to have a chance at a winning record.  They did it last year, it would be an even more terrific achievement to repeat it.  My desire is they come out of 2018 with positive signs from Josh Allen and with at least one player found on the o-line (maybe McDermott, maybe Bodine, maybe Teller, maybe Groy) and one player found at WR (from the two draft picks, Reilly etc). I expect the D to be pretty solid and somewhere between 8-15 in the league.  

Most definately. I agree with what you said about depth being stronger in previous years. I think the thing to focus on is that, like you said, it's year 2 of this rebuild. I fully expect the depth to be handled with more continuity, once they get the starters filled out with their hand picked guys that fit the process. I'm looking forward to it. 

I'm with you on my expectations of this year as well. At this point I wouldn't be shocked if we win 2 games or 10. I just want to see momentum. Signs that our 7th overall pick quarterback can be the answer, even if he isn't Aaron Rodgers 2.0 this year. Signs that the other high picks can be reliable starters in the future, and that a few of our late round picks can step up to fill the gaps. 

1 minute ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

Most definately. I agree with what you said about depth being stronger in previous years. I think the thing to focus on is that, like you said, it's year 2 of this rebuild. I fully expect the depth to be handled with more continuity, once they get the starters filled out with their hand picked guys that fit the process. I'm looking forward to it. 

I'm with you on my expectations of this year as well. At this point I wouldn't be shocked if we win 2 games or 10. I just want to see momentum. Signs that our 7th overall pick quarterback can be the answer, even if he isn't Aaron Rodgers 2.0 this year. Signs that the other high picks can be reliable starters in the future, and that a few of our late round picks can step up to fill the gaps. 

I think what is interesting - and others have commented on it as well - is that they did not say "we are going to tear down and just go with youth and then wait" which is more I think what the Jags did a few years ago and the Raiders did to an extent as well. The Bills said we are going to use to veteran hole patchers to get us to the point our roster is built the way we want it and we will use those guys to build a more business like and professional culture.  That probably elongates getting to your end goal by a year or so but it also allows you to remain somewhat competitive in the meantime - especially if those guys are well prepared and well coached and for the most part McDermott's Bills have been.