Fantastic Rosen article

Terrible meandering POS article that fails to make any real point.  Rosen reminds me of Jimmy Clausen coming out of college.  Emotional wreck on draft day because he doesn't go where he thinks he should go.  Follows it up with idiotic egotistical statements to the media.  We will see if he can check his ego in Arizona.  If Bradford stays healthy (I know that's a big IF), Rosen won't see the field this year.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

And confidence is important.  But confidence has to have deep roots or its just arrogance.  I think it's a big deal for a person's confidence to grow with a strong base of understanding who you are.  It's the difference between Rex and McDermott.   I loved Rex, but after awhile it become clear his confidence had no depth to it and people dont respond to that type of confidence.  I think we will see the same thing with Rosen.

I partially agree with this. I mean, I agree with your suggestion that Rex and Rosen seem to have confidence that can be seen as unhealthy, fake, over the top, and that can be viewed differently than like McDermotts confidence. I think lots more is involved than "understanding who you are" though. Let me explain.

Firstly, confidence that is gained or seen through either belittling others, irrational thnking, taking advantage of others, or elevating onself is in my opinion very unhealthy, unattractive and fake. Often that extra confidence looks greatness,  a feeling of superiority,  intelligence,  or assertiveness, but in reality that person often either hates himself or hates certain things sbout himself, or with disorted opinion or thinking based on poor environment, upbringing, genetics or combined, so the reason they either  mask themselves in trying to be more confident than they are, or come across as jerks.

Some of these persons may even have undiagnosed conditions, or some traits of such, like with a need to boast, show off or show dtama, like from histrionic personality, possibly in Rex's case, where some others with excess confidence could for example have a need to put forth tons of effort, be perfect, seem very detailed or analytical, or seem to need to be in control, like Payton Manning, and who knows, Rosen, as he shows some past signs.. Regardless, there can be a fine line between healthy confidence and arrogance, and a genius. versus insanity, in my opinion.

There can be likeable persons with strong confidence, like McDermott, Bean, etc., and these persons often have or can show modesty and/or empathy, and/or they can admit imperfection, wrongs, or have strong  and realistic values, and they can have the ability to show much character good, and to change, if need be. For those who want to be their best, that is great, but do not try to get there by controlling environments and others, as they may see the world differently, or need to do things, at other  timing or in anorher way, and as these persions may be better persons or with even greater insight.

If those players with large egos are superb players and help the team win often, and win big, then of course other players and coaches will try to live with that abrasive personslity type as best as possible, and with those disruptions, by trying to work with him, too, but if that player either is not as great as he thinks, causes  much team disharmony, cannot change, does not contribute much to help the team win, then the team will likely move on from that mistake. 

The article works from the premise that NFL execs based their decisions about Rosen on "internet hearsay".  Nobody, including Forbes, knows whether the internet gossip about Rosen was taken into account AT ALL.   His only real proof is some anecdote about an airport encounter between Alonzo Highsmith and some women's volleyball coach??  Uh, ok?The truth is that we "outsiders" only have semi-educated, youtube inflated,  guesses about the analytics that NFL teams use to evaluate the most important player on the field.  Forbes should stick to money. 

• Like (+1) 1

Remember back a while?  The standing joke around the NFL was that word on the street said the Browns were going to select Josh Allen No. 1 overall.

And there was much laughter and high fiving though out the land. 

"Browns being the Browns," they said.

Now we take him and pass over Josh Rosen, so Rosen becomes the butt of jokes for many Bills fans.

:mellow:

Edited by Fadingpain

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Remember back a while?  The standing joke around the NFL was that word on the street said the Browns were going to select Josh Allen No. 1 overall.

And there was much laughter and high fiving though out the land. 

"Browns being the Browns," they said.

Now we take him and pass over Josh Rosen, so Rosen becomes the butt of jokes for many Bills fans.

:mellow:

The draft is OVER

Rosen is going somewhere else

Allen is our QB

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

If Josh Rosen won more games, threw less interceptions, and didn't miss multiple games because of injury his politics and intelligence wouldn't be an issue.

Rosen may be a genius, but the narrative about how wordly and smart the guy is when compared to his actual comments seem misguided.  I think he comes across as an immature kid who has no idea who is.    If you're looking for a guy to lead a team you don't want a person who blows in the wind not someone who is constantly searching for who they are.   Rosen comes across as the guy who wants to discuss philosophy at length to show you how smart he is, but has no actual idea about real life.  Just my opinion.

And just for the record the comparison to Callaway is inane.   Rosen didnt drop to round three, he was picked 10th overall, so NFL Executives werent that terrified of him.  

This may just be the most accurate analysis I've ever read regarding Rosen. 

42 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Who cares about Rosen.

The article is about how executives evaluate draftees

1 hour ago, Luxy312 said:

Terrible meandering POS article that fails to make any real point.

It's like a bill Simmons article, and you wanted a well written think piece. You're comparing apples to oranges.

A form of sports writing medium that's very popular

2 hours ago, DFT said:

Yep.  Pretty much.   That being said, I have more faith in this front office then I have had in quite some time. I think the Rosen pick will haunt us, but I trust the process and this FO.   And I hope I’m wrong about Rosen.

The Rosen pick won’t haunt anyone.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I new Rosen was sketchy ;)

23 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

The Rosen pick won’t haunt anyone.

Translation:  “I can’t sleep at night, because I’m bothered by the Rosen pick, but I’m going to try and play it cool, because that’s what heroes do....”

These teams are investing a great deal of time, money and resources into the players they pick. Naturally, they're going to want guys who eat, sleep and breathe football. But more and more, I think you'll see a steady increase in the amount of players who have no problem saying they play football because they understand what a lucrative opportunity it can be. And there are already (and always have been) a percentage of guys who play because they know it can make them rich. Those guys don't really love the game or constantly dream about winning championships, for some, that's the last thing on their mind with the first being, "Doing this stuff is going to get me paid." Obviously teams are careful with those types of guys but there's a few on every team.

And if a player says they have interests outside of football and that causes scouts and executives to shout, "But does he love football?! How can we feel good about drafting this kid knowing he has the world's most exquisite marble collection, a hobby he says he plans to continue when he plays?! Oh, the horror!!" then maybe they need to re-evaluate the process they're using to learn about these kids.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

http://www.azcardinals.com/fan-zone/message-boards.html

Think you meant to post it here. 

Edited by No Place To Hyde