Apologies to Doug Marrone as we learn more about the environment

JoeF

I think St Doug has proven himself. I think he bounced on Buffalo because he knew  the issues and they wouldn't give him the power to correct it. He didn't want to get sabotaged. He is power hungry but guys like that win. I respect it.

I like McDermott as well. I respect them both. They made some Playoffs.

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I'll maintain this forever:  Had we kept Marrone and Whaley, this team would have been a perennial playoff team.  We were a QB away.  

Maybe, but they had a non-relationship when it came to roster building. I directly overhead Whaley laugh (to a few select scouts/personnel guys) about signing Jarius Wynn (remember him?) despite Coach's assessment that he "can't play." 

Whaley, that first year at least, was actually right about Wynn.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'll maintain this forever:  Had we kept Marrone and Whaley, this team would have been a perennial playoff team.  We were a QB away.  

I agree with you on the Marrone part.. I was mad the day he quit. 

Whaley tho.. I donno. I like Beane. 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I wanted Whaley to promote Schwartz to head coach after Marrone left despite his up and down head coaching stint with the Lions.  Converting a defense that thrived in the 4-3 to a 3-4 never made any fricken sense to me.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Dougy was not a long term guy I’d be happy with. Not a horrible coach, but I like where we are today. 

You make it a habit to word things just right, Augie. I feel the same way re: Marrone.

I never blamed Marrone for leaving. It was not a good situation in Buffalo and he has a family to look out for. 

He is not that much different than McDermott. Fortunately, McDermott's situation is on the upswing with him and Beane now running the show.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is true. They had plenty of talent and an awesome defense with Schwartz.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I wanted Whaley to promote Schwartz to head coach after Marrone left despite his up and down head coaching stint with the Lions.  Converting a defense that thrived in the 4-3 to a 3-4 never made any fricken sense to me.  

I’ll go one further and say that had we promoted Scwartz we would have broke the drought. However, with that being said I do not think he would have been the long term answer at all... but with his sac he likely would have gone after a QB early on and keeping the D in the 4-3 and running a similar scheme would have been enough continuity to get us over the hump (drought) for sure!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Tell me if I'm wrong...but didn't Whaley like Mahomes?

He was rumoured at different times to have liked all 3 of last year's 1st round QBs. I think had it still been Whaley's show we would have gone QB last year. It was no longer his show though and I do understand why McDermott didn't want to pick a QB based on evaluations of a front office he didn't trust. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JoeF said:

We're keeping Whaley and Brandon...that's all I would have needed to hear from Terry Pegula.  I would have opted out as well.  Remember when he confronted Monos and the clown show broke it up..

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/5/6110233/doug-marrone-buffalo-bills-officials

I admit Coach was an arse..but in hindsight, it was likely at least partially justified. 

Whaley and the Pegulas were the ones who hired Marrone. Russ was in the meetings.

But yeah, once the relationship deteriorated something was going to break.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Had we kept Marrone and Whaley, one of them would be dead and the other in jail for his murder. They came to hate each other. One was leaving. The worse one stayed, unfortunately.

5 hours ago, Augie said:

Dougy was not a long term guy I’d be happy with. Not a horrible coach, but I like where we are today. 

Agreed on that. From the evidence, McDermott is the best coach we've had in a long time, certainly since Wade. But IMO Marrone was the second-best.

23 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I never blamed Marrone for leaving. It was not a good situation in Buffalo and he has a family to look out for. 

He is not that much different than McDermott. Fortunately, McDermott's situation is on the upswing with him and Beane now running the show.

This is true. They had plenty of talent and an awesome defense with Schwartz.

They did have a really good defence, but that defense had two starters brought in after Whaley became GM, and neither of those two was a core player or a great talent. The overwhelming majority were Nix guys, with a couple pre-Nix.

15 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Whaley and the Pegulas were the ones who hired Marrone. Russ was in the meetings.

Sorry, the Pegulas had nothing to do with hiring Marrone, that was Nix, Brandon and Whaley.

But yeah, once the relationship deteriorated something was going to break.

Had we kept Marrone and Whaley, one of them would be dead and the other in jail for his murder. They came to hate each other. One was leaving. The worse one stayed, unfortunately.

Agreed on that. From the evidence, McDermott is the best coach we've had in a long time, certainly since Wade. But IMO Marrone was the second-best.

They did have a really good defence, but that defense had two starters brought in after Whaley became GM, and neither of those two was a core player or a great talent. The overwhelming majority were Nix guys, with a couple pre-Nix.

21 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I don't really care who brought in who, but we all know Whaley was behind a lot of the acquisitions as  Nix's GM-in-training. 

And didn't Whaley make the player-for-player trade: Hughes for no-name LB? That was one of the most lopsided trades in sports history.

Marrone made a business decision and walked away. He was within his contractual rights to do so. Knowing the situation I assume he put Pegs on the spot and it did not go his way. Obviously it was the right decision for Doug Marrone.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't really care who brought in who, but we all know Whaley was behind a lot of the acquisitions as  Nix's GM-in-training. 

And didn't Whaley make the player-for-player trade: Hughes for no-name LB? That was one of the most lopsided trades in sports history.

That thing we "know," according to you? We don't know it. It's a guess. What we know is who the buck stopped with, which was Nix.

And no, again, the Hughes trade happened during the Nix administration. It's a reasonable guess Whaley was involved, as he was Director of Pro Personnel. Which is a position that reports to the GM.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hired Marrone?? Nope.  Pegula wasn't even here yet. Whaley and the Pegulas hired Rex.  Brandon and Nix hired Marrone. 

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's a reasonable guess Whaley was involved, as he was Director of Pro Personnel. Which is a position that reports to the GM.

He was Assistant GM at that point actually.