Apologies to Doug Marrone as we learn more about the environment

JoeF

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Apologies to Whaley are due as well.

Our GM had the President sandbagging him, leaking to the media, and playing the HC and GM off of each other so he could look better and stay safe.

The culture in that office with Brandon around was toxic. I witnessed and felt it first hand in my dealings with the Bills from 2014-2016.

Wow, I thought the Brandon hate was so overblown.  Never had any idea it was this bad.  Of course if it was this bad, why wasn’t he dealt with years ago?

6 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

All the clauses in the world don't change the fact that he quit.

He quit because he wanted assurances that he wouldn't be fired (unheard of) after Orton retired (plus a big extension). He knew he couldn't field a winner and his massive ego would rather screw us over and quit so he couldn't be fired.

He put his ego in front of his self described "dream job", for the second time after vacating his other "dream job" in cuse.

Dick move. He does not get a pass for setting us back 3 years.

Honestly, it shouldn’t have even set us back.  We were loaded and just hired a moron.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sorry, but what's with the soft as baby ... apologies around here.

Russ Brandon relieved of his duties for sexual misconduct, yet some want to act like the victims were worth it, because hey he saved the football team.

Now, a guy who openly up and quit, who has admitted it was a mistake and we have a bunch of soft people saying we should apologize to him? G T F O

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wow, I thought the Brandon hate was so overblown.  Never had any idea it was this bad.  Of course if it was this bad, why wasn’t he dealt with years ago?

Because he had no real boss other than a 90 year old man who thought of him as a son.

The Pegulas, seem impressed when they see someone who knows their way around the building.  They held onto bad management with the Sabres for too long, and did it again with the Bills.

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Our GM had the President sandbagging him, leaking to the media, and playing the HC and GM off of each other so he could look better and stay safe.

The culture in that office with Brandon around was toxic. I witnessed and felt it first hand in my dealings with the Bills from 2014-2016.

You have to give me more info!

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I sometimes feel bad for Whaley. The Watkins trade up was a catastrophe obviously, but outside of that most of the personnel issues were due to switching schemes every year on one side of the ball or the other. Rex's complete defensive switch being the most egregious.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'll maintain this forever:  Had we kept Marrone and Whaley, this team would have been a perennial playoff team.  We were a QB away.  

I'd like to agree but sticking with Nate Hackett as OC makes me say nah 

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Because he was the best they had at the time. I think most of us fans under-estimate how huge of a venture taking over a Major League Sports team really is. Especially an NFL franchise. And especially an NFL franchise which has been mired in years of mediocrity.

There is no way they could have come in as fresh owners and cleaned house immediately. It would have left gaping holes in the operation, and done more damage than good.

When the Pegulas took over the Bills, they immediately saw what a higher level the NFL runs at versus what they knew in the NHL.

So it was natural for them to be at least a bit impressed with Brandon, and put him in charge of the business dealings of both teams. And that makes sense. One office can handle sales, advertising, etc. Then you let each individual team focus on their actual sport and the on-field product.

Brandon was also good at manipulating and playing people off of each other. So it took a while for the Pegulas to catch on. But Russ couldnt stop being Russ, and the second McD came around he smelled the snake and started the "process" of cutting off that snake's head. Of course, Brandon helped him do that by being his usual scumbag self.

• Thank you (+1) 3

12 hours ago, JoeF said:

We're keeping Whaley and Brandon...that's all I would have needed to hear from Terry Pegula.  I would have opted out as well.  Remember when he confronted Monos and the clown show broke it up..

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/5/6110233/doug-marrone-buffalo-bills-officials

I admit Coach was an arse..but in hindsight, it was likely at least partially justified. 

All I know is that I'm glad Marrone is gone.

33 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He's a head coach who has had nothing but horrible quarterbacks.

He just signed that "horrible quarterback" to a contract extension.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Because he was the best they had at the time. I think most of us fans under-estimate how huge of a venture taking over a Major League Sports team really is. Especially an NFL franchise. And especially an NFL franchise which has been mired in years of mediocrity.

There is no way they could have come in as fresh owners and cleaned house immediately. It would have left gaping holes in the operation, and done more damage than good.

When the Pegulas took over the Bills, they immediately saw what a higher level the NFL runs at versus what they knew in the NHL.

So it was natural for them to be at least a bit impressed with Brandon, and put him in charge of the business dealings of both teams. And that makes sense. One office can handle sales, advertising, etc. Then you let each individual team focus on their actual sport and the on-field product.

Brandon was also good at manipulating and playing people off of each other. So it took a while for the Pegulas to catch on. But Russ couldnt stop being Russ, and the second McD came around he smelled the snake and started the "process" of cutting off that snake's head. Of course, Brandon helped him do that by being his usual scumbag self.

Did he .... touch you?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, wppete said:

I think the days of chaos in the Bills FO should be over now with McBean running the show. 

Or we given too much power to a first time head coach.  McDermott is basically Beane’s boss and has final say on all decisions.  That’s what worries me about our offensive decisions.  They are being made by a defensive coach.  

It should always be the GM hiring the coach and not vice Versa.  

I'm glad he left. I'm still not convinced he's a good head coach. He's doing in Jacksonville exactly what he did here in Buffalo, which is exactly what Sean Payton did in NO. Sell out your future with expensive FAs to get a 1 to 2 year window for a chamionship, then sit back for the next decade secure in your job.

Marrone has been a HC and OC for years, and I've yet to see him put together a competent offense.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'll maintain this forever:  Had we kept Marrone and Whaley, this team would have been a perennial playoff team.  We were a QB away.  

Ah, I don't think so; horrendous drafting! Man you guys just can't let go! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shotgunner said:

All the clauses in the world don't change the fact that he quit.

He quit because he wanted assurances that he wouldn't be fired (unheard of) after Orton retired (plus a big extension). He knew he couldn't field a winner and his massive ego would rather screw us over and quit so he couldn't be fired.

He put his ego in front of his self described "dream job", for the second time after vacating his other "dream job" in cuse.

Dick move. He does not get a pass for setting us back 3 years.

"He knew he couldn't field a winner and his massive ego would rather screw us over and quit so he couldn't be fired."  Why would he come to the conclusion that he couldn't win yet take another job in Jacksonville?  If he couldn't win why would his leaving "screw us over"?

I don't understand the anger at him, it's simply a man who chose not to work for a team for whatever reason he didn't think would be successful.  Nothing wrong with that, you take it way too personally.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Or we given too much power to a first time head coach.  McDermott is basically Beane’s boss and has final say on all decisions.  That’s what worries me about our offensive decisions.  They are being made by a defensive coach.  

It should always be the GM hiring the coach and not vice Versa.  

Why? We've done that for the past 20 years and it hasn't worked.

My opinion is, those who can play football, play football. Those who can't, coach football, and those who can't do either, work in the front office.

3 hours ago, HT02 said:

I don't get why it was a dick move.  If Pegula had decided to fire him would that have been a dick move?  The guy specifically asked for and received a clause in his contract that would allow him to leave if the team was sold.  He assessed the situation and decided that it wasn't a good situation for him and used that clause to leave the team. 

If a player has an opt-out in his contract and he uses it because he thinks there is more money for him on the free agent market is that a dick move?

What REALLY happened was that Brandon and Whaley used their connections in the local media (Buffalo News and WGR) to paint Marrone as this evil Saint Doug character and turn all the fans against him. Everybody fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Anybody supporting him was shouted down. Look what happened.

We're lucky that we're doing well now, but we really screwed up with Marrone, especially choosing two immature and shady losers like Brandon and Whaley ahead of him, and then hiring Rex. Pegula showed his incompetence there. You don't need a lot of sports experience to sniff through those bums. I'll be honest, I question his business experience, much less his wife's. I'm thinking he lucked out with fracking, something nobody else has the balls to say.

• Like (+1) 3