Before You Slam Russ Brandon, Know He Saved The Bills TWICE!

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Terrible.  You want to compare Russ with those other guys?  The difference is, not one person has come out with an allegation against Russ.  Also you are jumping to the conclusion that it’s some kind of sexual harassment.  Workplace misconduct can be a lot of things.  It’s wrong to make those claims.

As you drink from your Bills pint glass tonight, have a few extras on Russ Brandon.  Because he kept the team in Buffao

:beer::lol:

3 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Check out the 20 minute broadcast below from the D and C:

Sal and Leo defend Russ Brandon.  I’ve never heard this before but Sal says that Russ saved the Bills twice from Ralph Wilson.  Now these are their words, not mine, but I know Sal and Leo are pretty credible reporters:

1.) Apparently Ralph had threatened relocation several times, including in 1998 after the luxury boxes were built.  If the boxes didn’t sell, he was threatening to move th Bills to San Antonio.  Sure enough, Russ sold the boxes to local businesses and Wilson made some nice $$$$ and was happy to keeping.

2.) Russ steered the sale of the Bills to the Pegula’s because he knew they’d keep them

in Buffalo.  

Also, Russ brought the Bills training camp to St. John Fisher - which was a much better location and better experience for fans than SUNY Fredonia so there’s that. 

On a side not to those who have my popular features “Hits and Misses.”  Sal confirmed that Russ admitted to him that while he served as GM for 2 season, he never actually drafted players.  That was Tom Modrak.  Still, I give Russ very high marks for he strong selections Modrak made while he was GM.

So while people want to dump on Russ, know it was Russ Brandon....not Ralph Wilson that kept the team in Buffalo!

Guess Russ reached out to his friend to get a fluff piece out there on him. 

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/01/vic-caruccis-analysis-brandons-tenure-with-bills-tale-of-conflicting-results/

"The overwhelmingly negative reaction to Brandon's being included among those inside the Bills' draft room, along with relief expressed by fans who didn't see him in team photos or videos of the room during the draft even though he was there, was known to bother him greatly. "

Good to hear! :D

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Leonhart2017 said:

I do remember that back in 1998,  if I recall correctly didn’t Ralph put threating ads in the Buffalo News saying “The Houston Bills” (they were without a team at the time) trying to get all of the luxury seats sold.

I don't recall the BN paper ads, but 1998 was a key moment in history. Long story short, Brandon was hired in late '97 to do one thing: secure the release of the final installment from NYS for stadium renovations; something like $61m plus iirc. That was a daunting task as one of the stipulations was the sale of all luxury suites. Not only did Brandon accomplish that less than one year into his tenure, but he secured record amounts of corporate sponsorship as well; to the tune of tens of millions of dollars. I remember walking into the stadium in 1998 and being amazed at all the new signage in and around the facility. It was night and day. And I know Mr. Wilson appreciated all that new found non-shared revenue as well so it's no surprise Russ Brandon became one of his stars. And Brandon was able to sustain that throughout, too. Which is one of the reasons he has such a great reputation in the sports marketing world. 

He could have written his own ticket to a job with the league and I have to wonder how much this forced resignation will tarnish his rep. 

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You have deep confusion about the difference between facts and opinions.

Sal and Leo are saying he was never much involved with the decision-making on the football side. He admitted that to them at the time, that he wasn't involved in making picks. He was always on the business side and it's pretty much universal among nearly anyone involved that he did a terrific job at that. If he was involved in bringing in Rex (Whaley should also carry a very large portion of the responsibility there), then that was a horrible decision. But even that's questionable. Yeah, he said, "Don't let him out of the building." There's no evidence on how much impact that had.

Sounds like he's "retired" for good reason. If what's alleged is true, he deserves what he's getting. 

But Sal and Leo are saying just what has seemed through the years as the most likely thing. There's never been much or any evidence he's been involved in making the decisions. Yup, he's been in the room. No, not everyone in the room has much of an impact.

Russ Brandon is a clown and always will be a clown.

Great day to be a Bills.

If you are a long time Bills and have lived through the embarrassing times of Ralph Wilson's ownership with his licker Russ Brandon and you aren't happy is he is no longer associated with this team................ then I don't know what to tell you.

6 hours ago, colin said:

russ also saved that poor intern from a loveless life!

best reach since Aaron Maybin

23 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

It could be argued that Russ Brandon is responsible for our current president. If he had sold the Bills to Trump he would be making Buffalo Great Again. 

I would have bought dozens of those hats

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You have deep confusion about the difference between facts and opinions.

Sal and Leo are saying he was never much involved with the decision-making on the football side. He admitted that to them at the time, that he wasn't involved in making picks. He was always on the business side and it's pretty much universal among nearly anyone involved that he did a terrific job at that. If he was involved in bringing in Rex (Whaley should also carry a very large portion of the responsibility there), then that was a horrible decision. But even that's questionable. Yeah, he said, "Don't let him out of the building." There's no evidence on how much impact that had.

Sounds like he's "retired" for good reason. If what's alleged is true, he deserves what he's getting. 

But Sal and Leo are saying just what has seemed through the years as the most likely thing. There's never been much or any evidence he's been involved in making the decisions. Yup, he's been in the room. No, not everyone in the room has much of an impact.

Nobody ever gets held responsible. It wasn't Whaley, it wasn't Brandon. It was never the president or the GM. It was always somebody else. But it never is said who. Excpet Rex Ryan. But he was here for 2 years only. 

I don’t wanna hear any of this......I’m ready to burn the guy at the stake.

Come on, fellas......who’s with me!!!!

Grab yer torches and meet at Joesixpacks place in 2 hours.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Suggesting that he steered the bidding process toward the Pegulas blows all credibility of anything else said.

$1.4 Billion dollars cash steered the bidding process toward the Pegulas.

There has been talk the the bid had language which required the new owners to keep to team in Buffalo.  That would explain why only 3 bidders became involved, I suspect that's why big money offers didn't come in wanted to move the team to California or Toronto.

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

So Russ saved us from having Trump own the Bills?  Can you imagine the twitters on draft day??

But... Then the Bills would have saved us from having a scandal laden trainwreck in a President Trump.

Take the good with the bad, thanks Bills!

The buyout of the NRA made it unattractive to outside bidders.  They would not only need to outbid pegula, but would need to add $400 million buyout (or 4 ugly l same duck seasons).  Plus a relocation fee.  Plus money for new facilities.   The timing of Wilson's death, before the paint was dry on the renovations played a huge part.  If he passes away in 2018, vultures would be out big time.  Ultimately though, its pegula's willingness to bid a very competitive price

Edited by May Day 10

10 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

1.) Apparently Ralph had threatened relocation several times, including in 1998 after the luxury boxes were built. 

There is no apparently about it. Ralph actually did threaten to move the team if the luxury suites weren't sold with 5 year commitments. This came a year after he threatened to move the team unless those luxury boxes were built (at taxpayer expense).

That's when I lost all respect for Ralph as an owner, and found it laughable when people kept hamming up his bullcrap position against moving teams as why he should be in the HoF.

Edited by Koko78

I don't give a flying.... what your accomplish were/are.  If you are a sexual predator, you're P O S, end of story.

Having a daughter, I'll tell ya right now, I'm choosing her over the Bills.  Some things are bigger than a game.

8 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I don't give a flying.... what your accomplish were/are.  If you are a sexual predator, you're P O S, end of story.

Having a daughter, I'll tell ya right now, I'm choosing her over the Bills.  Some things are bigger than a game.

Did I miss something? 

The fact Brandon didn't get so much as a thank you for his service is a low class Pegula move. If it wasn't for Brandon, the Pegula's wouldn't even be owners today. I'm not saying Brandon's morals are upstanding, but the Pegula's should know better. 

I can't help but see the hypocrisy in a fanbase labelling Brandon a sexual predator or deviant when we don't have any facts, but they adore a QB who was at least a known adulterer.

I never, maybe rarely see any kind of talk condemning Kelly, but here you can find 30+ pages of people hurling crazy unfounded accusations at Brandon.

I get it, people don't like him, but let's be fair to all involved.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But... Then the Bills would have saved us from having a scandal laden trainwreck in a President Trump.

Take the good with the bad, thanks Bills!

Pegulas owning Bills for life and 4 years of Trump >>>> Trump owning Bills and Hillary as POTUS for 5 minuets!