What This Draft Taught Bills Fans

6 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

It will matter for McBeane as they are legends if Allen booms and out if he busts.

It's the "out if he busts" part that bothers me.

If the rest of the roster sucks and they can't progress from year to year or develop guys, sure.  If they see a mistake at QB and don't take action, sure.  But if we want our GMs to take shots on QB, we can't lop off their heads if they miss once.  That's how you get 2 decades of not enough investment in QB.

• Like (+1) 3

I love what the Pegulas and McBean are building here. I am really excited with the type of players they are getting and team they are building. It’s goig to be fun to watch this team in the next few years. Go Bills! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

@BillsRdue, I have to admit when I started reading I thought, "oh, another long overspoken post". Then I saw the replies and had to go back and read it. I have tp say I would have missed out on something great had I skipped it. Great post. @SDS, give this man or lady a TBD pat on the back please. Well spoken! Well written!  Well tought out! 

Edited by fansince88
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

It's a little early in the game to declare the Bills FO a winner yet ... sort of like getting excited because the Bills have kicked a FG on the game's opening drive.

Or, we could just wait until they fail and then jump on 'em. I think the op nailed some valid reasons to have hope---just a different way of looking at where we are. And there was a time when making the humble field goal could have changed the course of history. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

We, the fans of the Bills are skeptical by nature. We have endured some God-awful football and have been sold a bill of rights each off-season to keep us buying.

But this all changed with the new regime. We, like the players, were asked to buy into a "process." As some of you pointed out, "this process seems clear," and the Bills organization is on its way to becoming a perennial contender. 

Why? Because everything this FO does is with purpose and passion. They are well-organized, creative, bold, and knowledgeable. Everyone is expected to do their homework, bring their best to the table and give it your all. Those who don't are gone! - We've seen it with last years purge.

No matter what I think about the selections. Each one had a purpose and piece in the overall puzzle. Shaw's Sling It and Bring It post really brought this point to the table for us to see.  Many of you great posters were racing to find info on the pick --- BAM!!!!  The Bills FO had beautiful profile graphics and info and videos on the players online MINUTES AFTER EACH PICK!

That was awesome!!! When have we ever seen this in our history. That tells me that we know who we wanted. We had a plan and we got our men! Granted they may have made 2-3 for each round before, but the point is, that no matter what happened, they know who they were going to take. And that player's unique skill set was going to help in the overall vision of THE TEAM.

This is what they are looking for:

First and foremost, --- You are a TEAM PLAYER. Your not here to build stats and greenbacks, you are here because you love playing the game. You love it so much that you will eat, sleep, dream, piss and **** football. You love it so much, you will embrace Buffalo and its rabid fans. You have the Kyle Williams mentality. You are here to win a championship and make this city proud.

#2 You have EXCEPTIONAL SKILLS.  There is something about you that makes you ONE step faster, ONE hit harder, ONE move ahead of the rest of your peers. We will mold that skill and put it to use in OUR SYSTEM.  We understand how we want to use your talent and you are going to buy into it 100%.  

#3 You understand these skills are a part of the machine. If you are trying to use them by yourself you will fail, because a well-oiled machine needs 11 parts operating in complete unison on every play.  If this breaks down anywhere, we will evaluate and fix it. You take joy in working with this machine. You take joy that the 10 parts around you are succeeding, because we work together. You love your role.  You have THE ATTITUDE OF A CHAMPION.

#4 You come PREPARED. You are SELF-MOTIVATED because there is nothing you want more than that SUPER BOWL RING.  You take it upon yourself to reach your maximum potential. We are with you to help you do that. To become the best you can be.  You want to put the extra time in, the extra reps in. You want to watch the film, learn the playbook and practice these concepts with your teammates until you perfect them..

#5 WE ARE A FAMILY. Know that you can communicate with us about anything. Share your life with your coaches and teammates. Let us get to know you like a brother. If something is bothering you, don't be afraid to speak up.  Become a LEADER!  In your home, in your community, on this team. Lead by example. . (Last years sharing chats were masterful at setting this up) 

This is what the Front Office is accomplishing and that MAKES ME PROUD TO BE A BILLS FAN.  This is my type of team because it encompasses everything our city is and stand for. I'm very excited to see how these pieces come together. I trust it for the first time in a long time. And if there are some growing pains, it's okay because I see this goal and understand we are working toward it with these concepts in mind.

GO BILLS!!!!!

Your rah rah speech is great.

You left out the part about drafting a crap QB which results in the FO being fired and the franchise being set back 3 years.

9 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

BillsRdue, you should send this post to Kim Pegula and ask to write for Buffalobills.com.

I would visit the site a lot more reading your stuff other than Chris Brown.

You described the "Process" better than anyone!

I completely agree.  It needs just a bit of grammatical correction but is an excellent post.

12 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

We, the fans of the Bills, are skeptical by nature. We have endured some God-awful football and have been sold a bill of rights each off-season to keep us buying.

But this all changed with the new regime. We, like the players, were asked to buy into a "process." As some of you pointed out, "this process seems clear," and the Bills organization is on its way to becoming a perennial contender. 

Why? Because everything this FO does is with purpose and passion. They are well-organized, creative, bold, and knowledgeable. Everyone is expected to do their homework, bring their best to the table, and give it your all. Those who don't are gone! - We've seen it with last years purge.

No matter what I think about the selections. Each one had a purpose and piece in the overall puzzle. Shaw's Sling It and Bring It post really brought this point to the table for us to see.  Many of you great posters were racing to find info on the pick --- BAM!!!!  The Bills FO had beautiful profile graphics and info and videos on the players online MINUTES AFTER EACH PICK!

That was awesome!!! When have we ever seen this in our history? That tells me that we know who we wanted. We had a plan and we got our men! Granted they may have made 2-3 for each round before, but the point is, that no matter what happened, they knew who they were going to take. And that player's unique skill set was going to help in the overall vision of THE TEAM.

First and foremost, --- you are a TEAM PLAYER. You're not here to build stats and greenbacks, you are here because you love playing the game. You love it so much that you will eat, sleep, dream, piss and **** football. You love it so much, you will embrace Buffalo and its rabid fans. You have the Kyle Williams mentality. You are here to win a championship and make this city proud.

#2 You have EXCEPTIONAL SKILLS.  There is something about you that makes you ONE step faster, ONE hit harder, ONE move ahead of the rest of your peers. We will mold that skill and put it to use in OUR SYSTEM.  We understand how we want to use your talent and you are going to buy into it 100%.  

#3 You understand these skills are a part of the machine. If you are trying to use them by yourself, you will fail because a well-oiled machine needs 11 parts operating in complete unison on every play.  If this breaks down anywhere, we will evaluate and fix it. You take joy in working with this machine. You take joy that the 10 parts around you are succeeding, because we work together. You love your role.  You have THE ATTITUDE OF A CHAMPION.

#4 You come PREPARED. You are SELF-MOTIVATED because there is nothing you want more than that SUPER BOWL RING.  You take it upon yourself to reach your maximum potential. We are with you to help you do that, to become the best you can be.  You want to put the extra time in, the extra reps in. You want to watch the film, learn the playbook, and practice these concepts with your teammates until you perfect them.

#5 WE ARE A FAMILY. Know that you can communicate with us about anything. Share your life with your coaches and teammates. Let us get to know you like a brother. If something is bothering you, don't be afraid to speak up.  Become a LEADER!  In your home, in your community, on this team. Lead by example. . (Last year's sharing chats were masterful at setting this up) 

This is what the Front Office is accomplishing and that MAKES ME PROUD TO BE A BILLS FAN.  This is my type of team because it encompasses everything our city is and stand for. I'm very excited to see how these pieces come together. I trust it for the first time in a long time. And if there are some growing pains, it's okay because I see this goal and understand we are working toward it with these concepts in mind.

GO BILLS!!!!!

I made some corrections for you.  Please submit this to Buffalo Bills.com as it is an excellent piece to share with all Bills fans.

Edited by Peace Frog

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree with this completely.  In the long run, it matters less if the Bills were correct when they took their shot at Allen, than it does that they TOOK their shot.

I hope all Bills fans at the very least can share this perspective.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Or, we could just wait until they fail and then jump on 'em. I think the op nailed some valid reasons to have hope---just a different way of looking at where we are. And there was a time when making the humble field goal could have changed the course of history. 

Peddling hope without substance is what the Bills have been doing for more than a decade.  I see the 2018 draft as underscoring how similar the current regime really is to previous ones.

7 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

lol well someone has drunk the Koolaid. 

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'll believe it when we start getting consistent results. 

That's pretty much where I am but I still admire the OP's post.  Go Bills!

39 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Peddling hope without substance is what the Bills have been doing for more than a decade.  I see the 2018 draft as underscoring how similar the current regime really is to previous ones.

Really?  Nah. 

I can not think of a GM regime since Polian that would have pulled off trading up 3x for 3 guys, 2 rd 1 and 1 rd 3, without giving up a single future draft pick.

Beane had a goal, and instead of whining about how "we only have XX draft picks" he set to work methodically over a year to build the draft capital to accomplish that, while clearing out cap space.  Then he managed to draft well-regarded players - maybe the right ones, maybe not - that actually filled crying needs, as opposed to crying about how we must draft an RB in the first when we already have two because "BPA BPA!"

Will it work, can't tell yet of course, but it does seem to be a different approach.

Now Chris Brown, of course, is the same.

35 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I'm not trying to convince you otherwise.  You're a fan just like everyone else. The OP chose the Bills-fan-path-less-traveled, given the success of the current management group over the last year.  He acknowledged that they may well miss.  These guys may fail, but they have a path laid out for success and I'm simply choosing optimism this time. They did go get their guy. They did move up again to get Edmunds who seems to be a well regarded prospect across the board. and so on....

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Hope?  This regime got us into the playoffs for the first time this century.  If that's just "hope", I'd love to hear your definition of "substance".

Edited by The Red King

22 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

We, the fans of the Bills are skeptical by nature. We have endured some God-awful football and have been sold a bill of rights each off-season to keep us buying.

Why? Because everything this FO does is with purpose and passion. They are well-organized, creative, bold, and knowledgeable. Everyone is expected to do their homework, bring their best to the table and give it your all. Those who don't are gone! - We've seen it with last years purge.

That was awesome!!! When have we ever seen this in our history. That tells me that we know who we wanted. We had a plan and we got our men! Granted they may have made 2-3 for each round before, but the point is, that no matter what happened, they know who they were going to take. And that player's unique skill set was going to help in the overall vision of THE TEAM.

First and foremost, --- You are a TEAM PLAYER. Your not here to build stats and greenbacks, you are here because you love playing the game. You love it so much that you will eat, sleep, dream, piss and **** football. You love it so much, you will embrace Buffalo and its rabid fans. You have the Kyle Williams mentality. You are here to win a championship and make this city proud.

#3 You understand these skills are a part of the machine. If you are trying to use them by yourself you will fail, because a well-oiled machine needs 11 parts operating in complete unison on every play.  If this breaks down anywhere, we will evaluate and fix it. You take joy in working with this machine. You take joy that the 10 parts around you are succeeding, because we work together. You love your role.  You have THE ATTITUDE OF A CHAMPION.

#4 You come PREPARED. You are SELF-MOTIVATED because there is nothing you want more than that SUPER BOWL RING.  You take it upon yourself to reach your maximum potential. We are with you to help you do that. To become the best you can be.  You want to put the extra time in, the extra reps in. You want to watch the film, learn the playbook and practice these concepts with your teammates until you perfect them..

#5 WE ARE A FAMILY. Know that you can communicate with us about anything. Share your life with your coaches and teammates. Let us get to know you like a brother. If something is bothering you, don't be afraid to speak up.  Become a LEADER!  In your home, in your community, on this team. Lead by example. . (Last years sharing chats were masterful at setting this up) 

GO BILLS!!!!!

I like the new FO. Consistently smart and professional.

But I have a few arguments with what you're saying here.

You say that because they have a professional graphics package ready that they knew who they wanted. I don't think there's likely any connection at all. They weren't going to pull some graphics guy aside and say, "Here are our picks, don't tell your friends, make up a video package." Not a chance. They were keeping things very very close to their vest. Instead the NFL most likely had videos packages for all these guys which they released to the teams. Or maybe the Bills did it themselves, telling the same video guy something like, "Here's a list of the top 100 guys. Make up packages for all of them. They wouldn't bring someone into the loop for something as unimportant as having a video package necessary.

I also don't think it's clear at all that the purge over the past year or so is about being a team player or that kind of thing. Just as likely ... maybe more so ... that they absolutely had to make cuts to dig themselves out of the horrible cap shape that Whaley had left them in, so they cut some guys, many or all of whom they might well have kept under other circumstances. And that they absolutely knew they needed trade capital to get up and get their QB and so they traded away guys for it ... many of them guys who were going to cost money soon to keep ... some, many or all of them guys they might have liked to keep if they had had a top three pick and had been in good cap shape. 

I do agree with you that they seem to be putting together a team with good character guys, leaders and guys who really care about football. And I like that as much as you do.

I like Beane and McDermott. A lot. They seem to be making smart choices with great consistency.

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree with this completely.  In the long run, it matters less if the Bills were correct when they took their shot at Allen, than it does that they TOOK their shot.

100%

Can't ever win ab hand if you don't pony up and bet some chips, you'll just go broke playing the blind and folding every time it's your turn to go big.

I'm not saying to go all in on a pair of deuces before the flop, but you gotta at least get to the turn or the river instead of backing out early.

21 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

The sling it part is what matters.  At minimum, the Bills have people in charge who understand that the team needed a QB.  Everyone has their opinion of Allen. That’s fine.  The important part is they knew they had to get a QB and they got one.

But unlike in 2013, they got one who was in the conversation for overall #1 pick and has had things like "elite arm talent" said about him.  That's a huge difference.  They could have sat at 12 and taken Jackson or Rudolph but they didn't.

Did I read somewhere that only five original Bills' draft picks from the pre-McBeane regime are still on the roster?  That says all you need to know about what they've done to re-shape the roster in their image.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Excellent post, OP! This message should be included in the players' introduction itinerary. 

Whether or not this all works out remains to be seen, but it's refreshing to know that we have a staff in place that understands that there's more to football and winning than just simply adding talent and hoping that it translates. And to be quite honest, I believe this all starts with the owners. Obviously Terry knows what it takes to run a successful business, but I wonder if people underestimate the influence and impact that Kim has, especially with the finer, less "football" type of aspects. 

Everyone has their own beliefs and ideas on what it takes to build a winner the right way, but I really do feel much more confident in this regime than I have with previous regimes.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat