RD 4, Pick 121: Taron Johnson DB - Weber State

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d agree with this as well. I think that they are looking at Groy, Bodine, Miller and Vlad on the interior and Dawkins & Mills with Newhouse as the swing tackle. I would like to see another tackle added but we will see.

Watch Conner McDermott. There is a reason he stuck all year when INJ started happening his writeup. 

Strengths

Towering left tackle. Has experience in a pro-style attack. Gets into kick-slide without much laboring. Decent pass-slide quickness. Decent hand readiness. In run game, comes off ball with flat back and uncorks his hips into target. Generates some pop with his initial contact as run blocker. Has some redirect power to stuff stunts inside. Solid cut-blocker. Athletic feet with rare background. Was finalist for McDonald's High School All-American team as a senior basketball player and won Mr. Basketball for Division II-AA in Tennessee.

Weaknesses

Very little bubble with below-average leg thickness. Plays too upright and with some stiff-leggedness. Lack of bend affects his ability to change direction. Hit-or-miss connection percentage on second level. Core strength is well-below desired NFL level. Bull-rushers can put him on skates and roll him back into the quarterback. Operates with weak punch in pass sets. Rare to find him land hands inside defender's frame on consecutive snaps. Doesn't trust his own foot quickness. Opens way too early in pass sets. Over-sets in race to the edge, allowing defenders to beat him inside or knock him off-balance with an inside club move.

Sources Tell Us

"Just not strong enough to play in our league. Unless he finds more core (strength), I can't see him being able to survive against power." -- AFC South scout

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, BadLandsMeanie said:

o line doesn't pass block in your world?

Do you feel more comfortable with Lafayette Pitts getting playing time or Vlad Ducasse? 

The answer to that question is why we drafted Johnson.  

Nevermind the fact theres value at DB right now as opposed to the OL scraps. 

Great fit.

Buffalo with E.J. Gaines 2017:       8 -3 / 20 ppg allowed

Buffalo without E.J. Gaines 2017: 1 - 4 / 30.4 ppg allowed

Not sure if the correlation is related directly to Gaines playing in those games, but he definitely seemed to be a factor in the defenses performance. Taron Johnson has a similar skill set to Gaines and hopefully he can have a similar impact on this defense.

Just now, BadLandsMeanie said:

o line doesn't pass block in your world?

O line pass blocks all F'ing day, and never runs the football, if the secondary can't stop the other team from passing in my world.

That does 2 things: 

1. Significantly increases the fatigue of the O line, thus increasing the chance for injury

2. Forces the QB and every blocking scheme, on every play, to be near perfect.

While I fully understand the need/want to run the football, I also understand that running is pointless when you are down 2 TD in the 3rd qtr.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d agree with this as well. I think that they are looking at Groy, Bodine, Miller and Vlad on the interior and Dawkins & Mills with Newhouse as the swing tackle. I would like to see another tackle added but we will see.

I wanted Richardson at that point, that's why I wasn't thrilled, but McBeane have shown good talent evaluation on D sooo.

Perfect fit for this system. Both sides of the ball are void of talent and have huge need. I see this kid getting substantial playing time. I want offense too, but if they don't like who they see on offense I would rather land a contributor on defense. 

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Watch Conner McDermott. There is a reason he stuck all year when INJ started happening his writeup. 

Strengths

Towering left tackle. Has experience in a pro-style attack. Gets into kick-slide without much laboring. Decent pass-slide quickness. Decent hand readiness. In run game, comes off ball with flat back and uncorks his hips into target. Generates some pop with his initial contact as run blocker. Has some redirect power to stuff stunts inside. Solid cut-blocker. Athletic feet with rare background. Was finalist for McDonald's High School All-American team as a senior basketball player and won Mr. Basketball for Division II-AA in Tennessee.

Weaknesses

Very little bubble with below-average leg thickness. Plays too upright and with some stiff-leggedness. Lack of bend affects his ability to change direction. Hit-or-miss connection percentage on second level. Core strength is well-below desired NFL level. Bull-rushers can put him on skates and roll him back into the quarterback. Operates with weak punch in pass sets. Rare to find him land hands inside defender's frame on consecutive snaps. Doesn't trust his own foot quickness. Opens way too early in pass sets. Over-sets in race to the edge, allowing defenders to beat him inside or knock him off-balance with an inside club move.

Sources Tell Us

"Just not strong enough to play in our league. Unless he finds more core (strength), I can't see him being able to survive against power." -- AFC South scout

Completely forgot about him!! I know that the Pats wanted him (or something like that). 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Completely forgot about him!! I know that the Pats wanted him (or something like that). 

Yes they drafted him in 6th. Cut him to try and slide him thru to the PS. Bills claimed him and kept him on their 53 all season because they knew he would not get to their PS. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think the plan on offensive line is Dion Dawkins at left guard newhouse/McDermott left tackle groy/Bodine center nickel cornerback is a huge need brady hasn't retired our best chances this year elite defense hold opponents down score just enough next year build the offensive side of the ball 

1 hour ago, JinxedBill1 said:

Ok wondering when the oline gets help.  Like this kid though, I think we could have got him later tho.  

this what drives me crazy, think we could have drafted him later, ok , i'll bite what make you think they could have drafted hum later,. just give me one iota of proof to back up your statement. thought so, you can't.