RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

i don't not like it, but i don't like it, really, either.  i don't like the trade up for him when i think we could've stayed put and still got him.

but i gotta believe they see something in him I, and a lot of other people, don't.  Here's hoping . . .

Just now, That_Guy said:

i don't not like it, but i don't like it, really, either.  i don't like the trade up for him when i think we could've stayed put and still got him.

but i gotta believe they see something in him I, and a lot of other people, don't.  Here's hoping . . .

AZ was actively shopping for 7 and 10 to take Allen, Miami would've taken Rosen. Buffalo stands at 12 holding our dicks. Had to trade up.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not a super fan, I've already said he wasnt my pick either. But you arent a pro talent evaluator, and neither am I. Nor do we have access to the info the pros have.

If all you're basing these absolute-as-fact statements on is watching some games, I take your analysis with a huge grain of salt. You're welcome to your opinion, but remember it's nothing more than that.

This is a message board for Bills fans where we discuss our opinions. Not a troll farm sponsored by OBD pumping out pro Josh Allen propaganda. Clearly we don't have as much info as the Bills do but how has that worked out for us in the past. We're one of the worst teams at evaluating talent especially at QB. 

And we clearly just drafted a guy because of his size and potential and not any of his production or tape.

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not a super fan, I've already said he wasnt my pick either. But you arent a pro talent evaluator, and neither am I. Nor do we have access to the info the pros have.

If all you're basing these absolute-as-fact statements on is watching some games, I take your analysis with a huge grain of salt. You're welcome to your opinion, but remember it's nothing more than that.

Takes like these are so tired.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

AZ was actively shopping for 7 and 10 to take Allen, Miami would've taken Rosen. Buffalo stands at 12 holding our dicks. Had to trade up.

I have to assume you're right.  I don't know what Arizona's intentions were.

He's raw, but outside of maybe Jackson and possibly Darnold, he's got the best physical tools in the draft.  His size and arm strength project very well to the league.  Smart offenses are scheming up easier throws (how Philly turned Foles from reclamation project to Super Bowl MVP).  We need to get him skill players who compliment his game, big targets like Benjamin or speedy guys who can run under  a ball and give some margin for error.  

His accuracy is concerning, but Jordan Palmer claims he's working his tail off daily to improve.  Bottom line, all these QBs have question marks, Beane was able to work our way up to get the 3rd one at worst on his board.  He didn't give up any future picks and walked out with the 2nd best LB in the draft, arguably our biggest "need" and mitigating losing all 3 picks between 53-65 by picking up a 5th and 7th.  If we weren't left in a position to compare him to Rosen and Mahomes/Watson forever I think it would have a major swing on the public perception.

I, admittedly, got caught up in the Rosen hype on this board, but there is a reason he went 4th of the “Big 4 QBs” to a team that Shefter reported tried to trade up for Allen, before settling for Rosen.  

The injury history for Rosen is very concerning. He’s not very mobile and has a history of concussions, nevermind the fact he’s wearing a knee brace in every highlight video you watch.  

Jets got the safest guy, but even he only has 2 years at USC and is the most turnover prone of the 4.   

Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen are “Boom or Bust” guys.  Mayfield is accurate but lacks height and isn’t Russel Wilson athletic.  According to scouts, Allen is the most physically gifted QB to come out of college in recent memory.  He’s raw.  It’s on Buffalo to groom him. 

Edited by SCBills

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Takes like these are so tired.

What else can you do? I'm not going to get myself upset because my tea leaves say bad things are coming. Bills got their guy. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

2 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

LOL! This board was all against Allen until we made him our pick and now it's Russia Troll Farm claiming he's without fault.

No one is saying he's "without fault". But NONE of the prospects were.

He wasnt my first choice, but here we are. You can cry about the pick, but I'm going to wait and see. Doesnt mean I dont have Beane on a short leash now.

You guys can go storm OBD with your tiki torches and pitch forks. Not sure what all the crying is going to get you other than fake points 2 years from now when you can post "I never liked him from the start!" (Sweet accomplishment, btw).

Edited by DrDawkinstein

1 minute ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

LOL! This board was all against Allen until we made him our pick and now it's Russia Troll Farm claiming he's without fault.

Hardly. I wanted Allen, along with Rosen, all along.  

I really wanted Goodell to say Josh Rosen, instead he said Allen....I was very disapointed. I just dont see it. 

Watched him talk football with Kirk Cousins on some pre-draft thing, a three part series, each video about 5 minutes. Doesn't change my overall disappointment with the hail mary pick, but at least Allen comes from a pro style offense with pro style terminology and reads. That does not mean he is ready for the NFL, and will really need at least a full year to sit and learn and prepare. I hope we give him that time. 

While I don't like the pick over Rosen, or the fact that it feels like we got fleeced for both second rounders for just 5 spots (given what little AZ had to give up to go up 5 spots), but I am glad our FO had the conviction to identify their guy and then go up and get him. Now I will root with everything I have for the kid, and hope he can correct all of his many faults at the QB position and develop into what we have been missing since Kelly. 

There is my rational take on a disappointing pick. (LOVE the Edmunds pick!)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

I really wanted Goodell to say Josh Rosen, instead he said Allen....I was very disapointed. I just dont see it. 

Watched him talk football with Kirk Cousins on some pre-draft thing, a three part series, each video about 5 minutes. Doesn't change my overall disappointment with the hail mary pick, but at least Allen comes from a pro style offense with pro style terminology and reads. That does not mean he is ready for the NFL, and will really need at least a full year to sit and learn and prepare. I hope we give him that time. 

While I don't like the pick over Rosen, or the fact that it feels like we got fleeced for both second rounders for just 5 spots (given what little AZ had to give up to go up 5 spots), but I am glad our FO had the conviction to identify their guy and then go up and get him. Now I will root with everything I have for the kid, and hope he can correct all of his many faults at the QB position and develop into what we have been missing since Kelly. 

There is my rational take on a disappointing pick. (LOVE the Edmunds pick!)

All reports say we were bidding against AZ for 7 which drove the price up.

15 minutes ago, DC Greg said:

I don't have a good feeling about this one. To move up and give up 2 seconds, one of which is an early second, you have to be sure. I don't see how anyone can be sold on a mountain west conference QB who had huge question marks around accuracy. We probably could have stayed put and got this guy. Or, or you stay put, take BPA, and build your team with all those picks. There will be more QBs next year guys, and let's face it, there's a good chance we're picking high in that draft. 

I would have been fine with Allen had they stayed put. This seems like a "look at me" move from Beane who's trying to leave his mark on the franchise and make a big splash.

Give me a break.  It was pick 53 & 56.  Given some of the rumors it was nothing and we still added a top 10 position prospect.  With all due respect, you have no clue.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Cool, but AZ still couldn't have matched if we only offered 12, our first second and first third 

Like I said though, I am happy the FO felt enough conviction to make the move up to get THEIR guy (I hope)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Give me a break.  It was pick 53 & 56.  Given some of the rumors it was nothing and we still added a top 10 position prospect.  With all due respect, you have no clue.

Those are two good picks thrown away 

Good morning everyone!  I was certainly on record saying I wanted Rosen, and when the Allen pick was made I was disappointed, but like any good fan I'm trying to wrap my head around the selection.  Certainly the disparity between how both guys handled themselves after being selected makes Allen look better.  He certainly has all of the "tools" you want in a franchise guy -- I hope the accuracy concerns prove to be either overstated or correctable.  I'm a 100% Josh Allen supporter now!

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What else can you do? I'm not going to get myself upset because my tea leaves say bad things are coming. Bills got their guy. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

No one is saying he's "without fault". But NONE of the prospects were.

He wasnt my first choice, but here we are. You can cry about the pick, but I'm going to wait and see. Doesnt mean I dont have Beane on a short leash now.

You guys can go storm OBD with your tiki torches and pitch forks. Not sure what all the crying is going to get you other than fake points 2 years from now when you can post "I never liked him from the start!" (Sweet accomplishment, btw).

The blurb for Josh Allen yesterday was, "Not accurate and lacks anticipation..." Literally the two most important traits for a QB. Those are not flaws. Those are gigantic hazards. 

And I can't just fake being happy and throwing the pom poms out now that we've taken the guy. Especially 12 hours later. Hope he makes me look like an idiot but I have history telling me he'll flame out.

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

it seems pretty clear we were competing with Arizona from pick 4 on.  I think neither team was willing to give up a next year 1st.  The Bills knowing the Cardinals couldn't beat 12 / 53 / 56 weren't going to put in 22.  Tampa was the first team to bite.  Once we were gone, it was down to just Arizona calling and they could lower their offer.  But man, I do wish the Cardinals would have "won" for Allen and left us to get Rosen with the scraps.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Those are two good picks thrown away 

Especially considering the strength of this Draft is from 20-65. So much good talent and starters there but I understand they had to do it to get their guy. Just can't believe after a year of work they decided to hitch their wagons and their careers on a guy who's never been good at any level.