RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

2 minutes ago, Need4speed12000 said:

I don’t think a linebacker was a bigger needed then an offensive lineman or wide receiver.

We literally have not a one legit linebacker.  I mean, not a one legit starting linebacker.  How is that not a bigger need?

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

JK did not say anything as obnoxious as that.  Not even close 

Really go watch his USFL press conference about Buffalo

“My agent looked at me after Elway got picked and the problem that arose from it and he said, ‘Hey Jim, is there anywhere that you don’t want to play?’ I said, ‘Oh yeah, I don’t want to play for the Minnesota Vikings. I don’t want to play for the Green Bay Packers and I don’t want to play for the Buffalo Bills.’”

-Jim Kelly to BuffaloBills.com’s Chris Brown in 2010

“I remember jumping up out of my seat and I hit my mother who was sitting on the right arm of the recliner and I knocked her right off the chair. I felt so bad, I quick picked her up off the floor and I’m apologizing, ‘Sorry mom I’m just glad I’m not going to play for Buffalo.’”

“I couldn’t believe it. Within minutes the phone calls came and with me being politically correct I was saying how excited I was to be a Buffalo Bill. And when I hung up I said, ‘We need to call the USFL and see what other options we have.’”

http://blog.buffalostories.com/the-story-of-how-jim-kelly-hated-buffalo-before-he-loved-it/

so again what did the HOFer say. For that friend

Edited by MAJBobby

5 minutes ago, Need4speed12000 said:

I think everyone is getting a little too upset here.......we have A.J. McCarron and Nathan peterman on our roster as qbs. Could this really get any worse??? Josh has the typical size teams drool over, a rocket of an arm, and an incredible upside. Compare his college stats to Brady’s, they are actually better then his and he played in Wyoming where there was no talent surrounding him. I am excited t see what this kid can do. I just wish they could of went for a reciever to help him out with the other first rounder. I don’t think a linebacker was a bigger needed then an offensive lineman or wide receiver. Our defence was actually pretty good last year. We need offensive help. Tyrod wasn’t gonna get us a Super Bowl throwing a measly 14tds a year. Like it or not, this is an improvement as he can fire the ball anywhere he wants. Hell I seen this kid throwing 50 yards from his knees. As for his accuracy problems everyone is complaining about, once again surrounded by no talent. This kid throws the ball where it needs to be, it’s not his problem receivers can’t catch catchable balls...........GO BILLS!!!!!!

The value and potential with Tremaine is galactic. An absolute steal and the WR class this year was not great at all.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Joe Miner said:

But I do get irritated by those that feel it necessary to continually **** on everything the Bills do (I don't believe you are in that camp).

I certainly am not in that camp. To me there was a clear top 10 or 11 players in this draft and when one of them at a position of need was on the board at 16 swapping a 3rd for a 5th to go and get him was a good move. I think Tremaine Edmunds is going to be an instant impact player and difference maker on this defense and he is still young and raw too.... the upside there is huge. 

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for those thougths SDS. 

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

JK did not say anything as obnoxious as that.  Not even close 

Nor did Rosen. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

“My agent looked at me after Elway got picked and the problem that arose from it and he said, ‘Hey Jim, is there anywhere that you don’t want to play?’ I said, ‘Oh yeah, I don’t want to play for the Minnesota Vikings. I don’t want to play for the Green Bay Packers and I don’t want to play for the Buffalo Bills.’”

“I remember jumping up out of my seat and I hit my mother who was sitting on the right arm of the recliner and I knocked her right off the chair. I felt so bad, I quick picked her up off the floor and I’m apologizing, ‘Sorry mom I’m just glad I’m not going to play for Buffalo.’”

Look at the date on that quote.  I call BS.  Kelly wasn’t exactly from Manhattan Beach himself.

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

I understand the skepticism,

Supporting cast however does matter in everything a QB is able to accomplish in my humble opinion.  Josh Allen tries to make the harder throws because he can vs dumping the ball off and his completion percentege suffers because of it.

Lets coach this kid up and see what happens.

We already know Allen can make every throw he will be asked to make at a very high velocity.

Time will tell...

I think I got all my skepticism out tonight.  I hope Josh Allen has a Hall of Fame career.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Kelly was obnoxious in a "dumb jock who doesn't know any better" way.

Rosen is more a spoiled, calculating, selfish brat. And a locker room lawyer. 

Which is worse? I think the locker room lawyer.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh there is a chance I am wrong. I always said I thought Allen had a chance to end up a franchise QB - I just think it is a very small chance. I still think that is unlikely to be wrong. We will know more when he gets on the field. I would happily have him sit for a year but I doubt they get that luxury because I don't think AJ is gonna be able to move the offense much. 

IMO, Allen should not play unless and maybe not even unless McCarron gets hurt.  The offense isn't ready to give a rookie QB a chance to develop.  I know AJ is a rookie starter but he's my lamb.  The offensive line has to be fixed before I let him play a down.  

To me it seems inconceivable that a QB drafted after the 1st round this year will be better than some drafted today.  It happens often, which makes it likely.  The best QB's rarely get drafted in order - best to worst.  Maybe it's our year to hit on that history.  

Edited by White Linen

14 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

Today was a GREAT DAY!

It went as well as I could have imagined. Darnold was my first choice, but I'm happy with Allen, AND we got Edmunds. Bills fans should be shitting glitter.

And they would be if any of them knew what this front office/scouting dept knows about evaluating a college QB prospect. 

It was a great day considering that most fans here wanted the GM to trade away all the picks to get to the #2 spot for Josh Rosen. Now that they moved up a bit to go after the QB they coveted all along fans are complaining they gave up both second-round picks when they wanted them to have given up two 1sts. two 2nds, two 3rds for a guy they passed on.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Look at the date on that quote.  I call BS.  Kelly wasn’t exactly from Manhattan Beach himself.

Again go research your HOF QB kid 

3 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

Kelly was obnoxious in a "dumb jock who doesn't know any better" way.

Rosen is more a spoiled, calculating, selfish brat. And a locker room lawyer. 

Which is worse? I think the locker room lawyer.

Ooo really?  Hmmm sure. 

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

And they would be if any of them knew what this front office/scouting dept knows about evaluating a college QB prospect. 

It was a great day considering that most fans here wanted the GM to trade away all the picks to get to the #2 spot for Josh Rosen. Now that they moved up a bit to go after the QB they coveted all along fans are complaining they gave up both second-round picks when they wanted them to have given up two 1sts. two 2nds, two 3rds for a guy they passed on.

Bills just didn't want Rosen.  Bradford and Rosen - what a hospital ward the Cards have.  Bills got their man, Cards got the leftover Rosen.  It is not just the Bills, Rosen slid for reasons other teams appreciated as well.  And Bills also got a super freak linebacker.  253 and 4.54. Wow.  Loving me some process!

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My argument isn't about fairness. It is about process and principle. The result would have been the same I have zero doubt but the only person who really benefitted from the benching was Doug Marrone. 

I'm sorry to say that I again respectfully disagree with your take that Marrone was the one who benefited from the EJ benching. It was the right decision because it was based on not only the immediate performance but it was the right decision as a long-term decision. Delaying on making a conclusive decision on EJ wasn't going to help the organization; it was going to further set back the organization. It is easy to say that Marrone is not a very sympathetic person. However, even vile people can be harshly right. For me there is no disputing the fact that Marrone was right on the EJ issue and Whaley was wrong. It became a fatal decision that contributed to and expedited his departure from the organization. 

2 hours ago, greeneblitz said:

I'm so disappointed on how a good portion of our fan base is reacting to what should be a top 3 moment in Bills history, we have so many fans that are total brats, behaving like small children cause they didn't get what they want, how many will lie 2 years from now and claim they supported Josh Allen from day one.

The same 200,000 or so that were at the comeback game lol.

2 hours ago, #34fan said:

Beane effectively fired himself with this draft.... All chalk, not much research ... Prepare to WEEP over all the 2nd round GOLD this bone-head erased.

Time to find another team I guess huh?

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

If this doesn't make you think this kid can be something here for us well you should join the guy above and find a new team.

1 hour ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I was afraid we would be stuck with "what's left" - be it Rosen or Allen.  We played it right, near perfect, didn't overpay and had our choice of the two and took Allen.  We should all be psyched, regardless of who we wanted, until Bills are proven wrong.  They identified their guy and went and got him.  They did not want Rosen.  Wishing the Rosen kid the best since he is not in our conference, but we got our man.  That is all one can ask for at this point.  Time will tell if we are right.  

This is where we should all be.

1 hour ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

With those GIANT hands flopping along at his sides.  A mountain of a man.  And a blue-collar, farm boy, lunch pail, Kyle Williams, beer slugging Buffalo kind of guy.  

Wind and snow wont be an issue for this guy. Farm boy, wing eating, hottie girlfriend who wants us to be his one and only team. Love it!

57 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And he already giving shout outs to Bills Mafia and wearing the beads.

49 minutes ago, JohnC said:

For those who are skeptical of Allen it has to be acknowledged that most analysts had him highly ranked. Most of the evaluators had him in the top four grouping.  When he was selected by Buffalo it  was noted on the NFL Network that the Cardinals were also trying to move up to get him. The Bills won out because the Cardinals didn't have the assets to compete with us to get him. The Cardinals did move up somewhat and then took their next rated qb in Josh Rosen. 

The Bills had a plan right when this new regime was installed to get their future franchise qb in this draft. They have made a number of moves to accomplish their stated goal of securing a qb. They got it done; I'm happy with what has transpired. 

Hey good luck to Josh Rosen. He's not a Bill so he can kiss my ass.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, OJABBA said:

I have no idea what you are getting at. That's not an argument.

So one saying what kelly said is a dumb jock and 

only reason he came is USFL folded and Bills paid a ton. 

But Rosen supposedly saying is dodged a bullet is snobby and entitiled. 

So year that is the oooo really hmmm ok

Just now, MAJBobby said:

So one saying what kelly said is a dumb jock and 

only reason he came is USFL folded and Bills paid a ton. 

But Rosen supposedly saying is dodged a bullet is snobby and entitiled. 

So year that is the oooo really hmmm ok

In English this time..

• Haha (+1) 1

Josh Allen will always be compared to Mahomes, Watson and Rosen. So Hope Bills are right. 

Just now, OJABBA said:

In English this time..

Its ok. I get it. A fake statement from Rosen is the snobby type of way. 

Kelly is just a dumb jock way of saying something. 

24 minutes ago, The Virginian said:

One thing to consider about Josh is that he worked in a pro-style offense at Wyoming.  He went under center and used the five and seven step drop.  He's mobile, athletic, and very hard worker.  Getting to the NFL is a lifetime dream of his.  He's overcome a lot of obstacles to get where he's at including no offers out of high school and only two offers out of junior college.  Fortunately for him and Wyoming, Coach Craig Bohl and his OC Brent Vigen saw something in Josh.  And oh, by the way, they are the same coaches that recruited Carson Wentz to North Dakota State.  Josh is a high character guy which you saw how he owned up to the racially tinged tweets he made in high school, no excuses and his apology was sincere.  He's a great leader.  His teammates at Wyoming loved him and  played hard for him.  And for what's it worth he completed his degree at Wyoming.  As a University of Wyoming alumnus and Cowboys fan, I acknowledge I'm biased.  But believe me, you're getting a good guy and he'll do everything in his power to help his team win. 

Thanks for your input and welcome to the board.

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm sorry to say that I again respectfully disagree with your take that Marrone was the one who benefited from the EJ benching. It was the right decision because it was based on not only the immediate performance but it was the right decision as a long-term decision. Delaying on making a conclusive decision on EJ wasn't going to help the organization; it was going to further set back the organization. It is easy to say that Marrone is not a very sympathetic person. However, even vile people can be harshly right. For me there is no disputing the fact that Marrone was right on the EJ issue and Whaley was wrong. It became a fatal decision that contributed to and expedited his departure from the organization. 

So I think it did delay the decision. I think the quicker way to the decision was let him play out. Instead we wasted a 3rd of the following preseason on it. 

Look I understand why Marrone made the move. I have been a head coach in a different sport I understand the pressure to make changes when you are losing and the Houston game was absolutely benchable. But what did the organisation actually gain from 12 games of a semi retired Kyle Orton? I would argue nothing. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Josh Allen will always be compared to Mahomes, Watson and Rosen. So Hope Bills are right. 

No one compares Allen to Rosen - they compare him to Cam Newton and Wentz.  But I get what you mean, more "measured against."    We all hope the Bills are right.  Love what they did tonight - went and got their boy.  And I bet he "compares" very favorable to Rosen.  Wish him and the Cards well, but I don't think that it ends well for Rosen.  I don't think he survives long in the NFL.  Holds the ball and twice concussed in a year.  And that is giving him the benefit of the doubt on the off-field criticisms he has faced.  

Drafting Allen is the easier part.  Surrounding this guy with proper coaching and an offensive team suitable for winning is the hard part.  Beane has a lot of work to do.  We've got the rest of this draft, next years draft and significant cap next year to accomplish it.  Good decisions from here are just as important as drafting the QB.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

No one compares Allen to Rosen - they compare him to Cam Newton and Wentz.  But I get what you mean, more "measured against."    We all hope the Bills are right.  Love what they did tonight - went and got their boy.  And I bet he "compares" very favorable to Rosen.  Wish him and the Cards well, but I don't think that it ends well for Rosen.  I don't think he survives long in the NFL.  Holds the ball and twice concussed in a year.  And that is giving him the benefit of the doubt on the off-field criticisms he has faced.  

They will at this point.  Allen needs to be better than 

Mahomes, Watson and Rosen 

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

Drafting Allen is the easier part.  Surrounding this guy with proper coaching and an offensive team suitable for winning is the hard part.  Beane has a lot of work to do.  We've got the rest of this draft, next years draft and significant cap next year to accomplish it.  Good decisions from here are just as important as drafting the QB.  

Good post.  Development is the key.

Unlike many I like Allen as a prospect and always regarded him as a legitimate first round QB. But he's not a guy I would trade up for and I'm having a hard time with Beane passing on Rosen. I mean we now have to hope that Allen will be able to do the things that Rosen already excels at doing. So why not go for the finished product who has already proven that he can do what you can only hope Allen can accomplish?  It's taking on a lot of risk for relatively little additional upside. I mean the extra arm strength and mobility is definitely a nice to have but these guys are both pocket passers and Rosen is by far the best one in this class. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Its ok. I get it. A fake statement from Rosen is the snobby type of way. 

Kelly is just a dumb jock way of saying something. 

No. The fake quote is not it. I have prior posts about Rosen. I live in LA, and have heard bad things about him. And even his coach threw him under the bus. Him being a prick is not recent news.

Kelly was an arrogant hick, trying to act "big time", eventually he got over it. Rosen may mature too, but they are not similar people. Kelly never had his toughness questioned. Kelly was popular with his coaches and teammates. Rosen is considered "individualistic", and to have a mentality better suited to an individual sport (like tennis, the sport he originally trained for, before an injury made him change course). 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Meh, this is wrong.  Allen has nothing to do with Mahomes and Watson.  If Bills made a mistake passing on either of them that is not on Josh Allen.  And Rosen - Bills picked Allen over him and I trust the judgment of Beane and McDermott.  I agree with their view, and do not believe Rosen will have a long NFL career.  But now that we escaped him, I don't give a crap about Rosen other than to wish him well.  But for Bills fans everything about Rosen is so March 2018.  Train has left the station.  

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

The Bills GM and coaches also need to be better than the Chiefs, Texans and Cardinals.  I know you know this but it's so critical and has to be said.  It's much more than just comparing QB to QB.  The organization has to make smart, important decisions around Allen.  This to me, is the reason I'm excited about this QB selection - my faith in the Bills to get all the other things right.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OJABBA said:

No. The fake quote is not it. I have prior posts about Rosen. I live in LA, and have heard bad things about him. And even his coach threw him under the bus. Him being a prick is not recent news.

Kelly was an arrogant hick, trying to act "big time", eventually he got over it. Rosen may mature too, but they are not similar people. Kelly never had his toughness questioned. Kelly was popular with his coaches and teammates. Rosen is considered "individualistic", and to have a mentality better suited to an individual sport (like tennis, the sport he originally trained for, before an injury made him change course). 

And yet no proof of any of it cool. 

Ooo and Mora routinely throws his player under buses but i am sure you know that too. 

1 minute ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Meh, this is wrong.  Allen has nothing to do with Mahomes and Watson.  If Bills made a mistake passing on either of them that is not on Josh Allen.  And Rosen - Bills picked Allen over him and I trust the judgment of Beane and McDermott.  I agree with their view, and do not believe Rosen will have a long NFL career.  But now that we escaped him, I don't give a crap about Rosen other than to wish him well.  But for Bills fans everything about Rosen is so March 2018.  Train has left the station.  

This regime has passed on Mahomes, Watson and Rosen 

so yes it goes right to their judgment if the other three turn out better so yes they will all be linked from this point forward 

Just now, White Linen said:

The Bills GM and coaches also need to be better than the Chiefs, Texans and Cardinals.  I know you know this but it's so critical and has to be said.  It's much more than just comparing QB to QB.  The organization has to make smart, important decisions around Allen.  This to me, is the reason I'm excited about this QB selection - my faith in the Bills to get all the other things right.

Right on.  These guys are pros.  Edmunds helps prove your point even though he is on defense.

Just now, MarlinTheMagician said:

Josh Allen is an amazing talent.  We are more than lucky to have him.  Off the chart physical skills, smart, hard worker, great teammate, unlimited ceiling.  We are very lucky to get him at 7.  

Yeah hope he just learns how to throw the ball accurately. Kind of important from the QB position. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

I proved EVERYTHING JK said

Yeah, and Rosen had to do an interview tour specifically to dispel "questions about his character", so his big mouth has already been a problem. 

It's all in my imagination, though.

I don't really care if you want to crusade against Allen. We shall see, huh?