4-23: Brandon Beane on One Bills Live

Just now, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Pretty clear Darnold and Mayfield are going 1 and 3 and then next QB is preference between Rosen and Allen.

Not pretty clear at all. If you're a GM and you base your moves off of ESPN "sources" you should be fired immediately. 

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

That's why I just said, you have an obligation to trade up to a pick that will secure you one of the QBs you want. You cannot sit around and be reactive.

This is also assuming no one will move off their spots. Totally possible. CLE not moving off 1. Giants stay at 2 , Jets are obviously staying put. CLE will get Barkley or Chubb guaranteed at 4 so that's out . 3 QBs gone and maybe they don't want the 4th guy at all. Don't like him. This could happen. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

This is also assuming no one will move off their spots. Totalll possible. CLE not moving off 1. Giants stay at 2 , Jets are obviously staying put. CLE will get Barkley or Chubb guaranteed at 4 so that's out . 3 QBs gone and maybe they don't want the 4th guy at all. Don't like him. This could happen. 

You're right, it's entirely possible they already screwed themselves by letting the Jests move up to 3. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

You're right, it's entirely possible they already screwed themselves by letting the Jests move up to 3. 

That's not what happened , though. If anything they screwed themselves by their team outperforming it's talent level and making the playoffs. Jets were at 6. They wouldn't let the Bills jump ahead of them at any cost. They were already in position to do this, Bills couldn't do anything about the Jets all the way back at 12. If the Jets were willing to pony up what was demanded, the pick was theirs. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

47 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

No Jay is spot on here.  The Bills have gone out their way to show that Russ is not involved in football decision.  Russ himself as well.  

No, he is not.  The top draft choice, especially this one, is in part a business decision as well as a football decision. No NFL team would have their organization's top executive out of the room when discussing final choices. It does not mean his opinion carries any more weight, or even as much, as the football guys, but it would be naive to think he would not be in the room. 

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

That's not what happened , though. If anything they screwed themselves by their team outperforming it's talent level and making the playoffs. Jets were at 6. They wouldn't let the Bills jump ahead of them at any cost. They were already in position to do this, Bills couldn't do anything about the Jets all the way back at 12. If the Jets were willing to pony up what was demanded, the pick was theirs. 

You're talking in circles. First, you say there is no way to know which QB will be picked, then you set up a scenario where no one will trade with us. Like I already said. If you are ok with any of the top 4, you have an obligation to try as hard as you can to trade into 4 or 5. If you only like 3 of the top 4, then you have to try and move up to 2 or 1 and give whatever it takes to get those picks. If you only liked 3 QBs are unable to trade to 2, then you shot yourself in the foot not offering more picks for #3 from a team that has already stated they're fine moving pack to collect more picks. You're setting up assumptions and knocking them down to make your point, there is absolutely zero evidence that the Bills couldn't have moved up to 3 by overpaying for that pick considering they have more draft capital than the Jets. In fact, by stating they'd like to move back yet again, the Colts have shown that you're assumption is wrong and that they never had a limit for how far back they were willing to go.

9 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

You're talking in circles. First, you say there is no way to know which QB will be picked, then you set up a scenario where no one will trade with us. Like I already said. If you are ok with any of the top 4, you have an obligation to try as hard as you can to trade into 4 or 5. If you only like 3 of the top 4, then you have to try and move up to 2 or 1 and give whatever it takes to get those picks. If you only liked 3 QBs are unable to trade to 2, then you shot yourself in the foot not offering more picks for #3 from a team that has already stated they're fine moving pack to collect more picks. You're setting up assumptions and knocking them down to make your point, there is absolutely zero evidence that the Bills couldn't have moved up to 3 by overpaying for that pick considering they have more draft capital than the Jets. In fact, by stating they'd like to move back yet again, the Colts have shown that you're assumption is wrong and that they never had a limit for how far back they were willing to go.

It's not hard to figure out. They said they were willing to consider another move  almost  immediately afterward. The Colts were going to use the Bills interest in 3 to hold the Jets hostage for picks. The Colts weren't leaving those on the table. Not when they were only moving to 6 and could get more picks in another move if they felt like it. Would they have taken the Bills entire draft? Probably, but no GM is offering that. Bills capital is not as good as the 6th overall pick. As Yogi would say , not " rocket surgery" going on here. The Jets were ahead of the Bills and therefore were the ones doing " the letting" you referred to. You can't " let" a team that's already far ahead of you do anything. It's out of your control. Also, it's a month later and quite possible the Colts feel differently about what player they  can get and where. If your assumption is that you would give up your entire draft and then some to coax a reluctant team out of spots 1-4 , it's safe to say a GM wouldn't keep their job long if they made such a deal. It's just a ridiculous notion as it's almost never been done. For good reason. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

You simply cannot keep reiterating the fact that "this is a QB-driven league" and then stand pat while the top 3 QBs are taken off the board, especially when you have a division rival taking one of those guys. If Beane doesn't trade up he's signing his own pink slip. If you're acknowledging that QB is the most important position on the field you can't take the "sit at 12 and take who comes to us" position. I don't care if you overpay, the only excuse for not trading up is "we offered them the farm and they didn't want to trade." That may happen at 1-3, but there is no excuse not to trade up to 4-6 when you know there are several teams not in the top 10 looking for QBs. 

It could be the case that Beane's top 3 does not match the top 3 projected by fans or insiders.  

• Like (+1) 1

You simply cannot keep reiterating the fact that "this is a QB-driven league" and then stand pat while the top 3 QBs are taken off the board, especially when you have a division rival taking one of those guys. If Beane doesn't trade up he's signing his own pink slip. If you're acknowledging that QB is the most important position on the field you can't take the "sit at 12 and take who comes to us" position. I don't care if you overpay, the only excuse for not trading up is "we offered them the farm and they didn't want to trade." That may happen at 1-3, but there is no excuse not to trade up to 4-6 when you know there are several teams not in the top 10 looking for QBs. 

Delusional.

If Cle, NYG, NYJ, and Den all want QBs and Cle feels they need an elite talent at 4 the there is NOTHING Beane cadonor could have done.  Pink slip my behind.  

Except you're making up crap.  Indy stated they wanted to stay in the top 10.  If they have changed their mind since then, there is still nothing nothing Beane could have done at the time.  If Denver wants a QB then Indy gave up only one spot...Cleveland's 4 spot, in moving to 6.  Giving up one spot to get 3 2nds.  What could Beane have done to beat that?  Not a blessed thing.  And your anger doesn't change that.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Delusional.

If Cle, NYG, NYJ, and Den all want QBs and Cle feels they need an elite talent at 4 the there is NOTHING Beane cadonor could have done.  Pink slip my behind.  

Except you're making up crap.  Indy stated they wanted to stay in the top 10.  If they have changed their mind since then, there is still nothing nothing Beane could have done at the time.  If Denver wants a QB then Indy gave up only one spot...Cleveland's 4 spot, in moving to 6.  Giving up one spot to get 3 2nds.  What could Beane have done to beat that?  Not a blessed thing.  And your anger doesn't change that.

Meh, your opinion isn't worth the pixels it takes up on my screen. FTR your statement about Indy is completely false, they already said they were open to trading back. I wouldn't expect you to state actual facts or employ logic though, why start now.

29 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Meh, your opinion isn't worth the pixels it takes up on my screen. FTR your statement about Indy is completely false, they already said they were open to trading back. I wouldn't expect you to state actual facts or employ logic though, why start now.

After the Colts trade with the Jets they stated that they wanted to stay top 10.  If that changed weeks later Beane's options are limited to his ability to create a time machine.  waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

4-23: Brandon Beane on One Bills Live (20:35)

#Bills general manager Brandon Beane joins @OneBillsLive next on WGR! Tune in:

Beane - there are a lot of QBs that aren't even being talked about in the first round that have potential to be good QBs. #Bills

Beane - it's a quarterback league. I've said that 100 times. These guys have been identified by a lot of people, and all of them have shown that they belong. They all have flaws, but it's about what flaws are you willing to deal with. #Bills

Beane - the last guy that was the clear, consensus #1 QB was Andrew Luck. Since then, it hasn't been the case. You can ask 32 teams who's the #1, #2, or #3 guy and the variations would be different. #Bills

Beane - We've identified each player that we're considering. We've pointed out their strengths and weaknesses, and then if we draft a certain guy, we have a plan. #Bills

Factual gleaning: Beane says the reports that the Bills have a trade outlined with the Giants are not true

Disturbing news: how involved the Pegulas are in the process

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Factual gleaning: Beane says the reports that the Bills have a trade outlined with the Giants are not true

True or not he was going to throw cold water on the rumor and the Pegulas involvement is perfectly fine within the parameters that he explained as any QB will effectively be repersenting them. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Well, they definitely have them ranked #1-#6. But, that doesn't mean they're picky.

It gives off the impression that they're willing to settle.

You don't want to look desperate heading into the draft if you are wanting to move up and grab someone. Might make it more expensive to do so.

If a franchise is willing to hire a private investigator to snoop on prospective draft selections, you can bet your butt they also have people collecting every scrap of intelligence on what the other teams are saying publicly (and privately if they can get it), they know every single draft visit for every team, they know who you talked to at the Senior Bowl, who you talked to at the Combine, they are talking up agents to see what they may have heard from teams about their clients, they are talking to the college coaches to see what they have heard.  They are scouring the social media accounts of the players and their family members and college room mates, girl friends and team mates. Anything to give you an advantage on draft night.  It is like the CIA vs KGB right now in the NFL. 

I'm so glad the draft is almost here, this waiting and endless speculation is stressful...

Edited by Inigo Montoya

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane - there are a lot of QBs that aren't even being talked about in the first round that have potential to be good QBs. #Bills

I found this to be the most interesting quote. It would not surprise me if they were in love with Mike White early in round 2.

Edited by billspro
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

I wonder if the comment about all of the QBs having flaws is a way of prepping the fans for not trading up and drafting someone like Jackson, Rudolph or Faulk with a later pick.

Or...

...trying to convince other gm's that he isn't desperate, so he doesn't have to give up 47 picks.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why is that disturbing?  What business do you know of where the owner has no involvement or say in the product that they put forward and pay money for?

5 hours ago, purple haze said:

Why is that disturbing?  What business do you know of where the owner has no involvement or say in the product that they put forward and pay money for?

Name another team that has two owners in the draft room both of whom have a say in who gets picked. The search won’t take too long.

Bring in a couple extra chairs let the kids voice their opinions too. 

I was hoping they would take a backseat after the Rex and Rob circus.

Edited by Commonsense

9 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

After the Colts trade with the Jets they stated that they wanted to stay top 10.  If that changed weeks later Beane's options are limited to his ability to create a time machine.  waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

That's how I'm reading it, especially with the stories coming out that Ballard is NOW more comfortable in trading down again.

PS - if you're looking at it from Colts' perspective, trading down again will net you far more value than if they had done a deal only with Buffalo

Edited by GG

19 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

You are clairvoyant then ? We know the Bills need a QB. How do you know which QBs will pan out and which won't? Shouldn't you be on an NFL FO staff ? Make a career out of picking lottery numbers etc. 

Wow, attacking my personal view.  You must feel so proud of yourself for such a clever reply.  One question though... I was unaware that I needed to apply for a job for an NFL front office position to pick lottery numbers, I guess I was doing it wrong this whole time, do you have an application I can borrow?

47 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Name another team that has two owners in the draft room both of whom have a say in who gets picked. The search won’t take too long.

Smh.

A seat at the table is just what it implies--the Pegula's get a front row seat in the war room to listen in in real time as the pick is discussed and made by McBeane and Company.   That's a perk no owner is likely to turn down or, in fact, not have offered to them by the front office... 

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Smh.

A seat at the table is just what it implies--the Pegula's get a front row seat in the war room to listen in in real time as the pick is discussed and made by McBeane and Company.   That's a perk no owner is likely to turn down or, in fact, not have offered to them by the front office... 

“Who’s got a seat at the table, who can speak”

That was the direct quote. Explain to me how that excludes the Pegula’s from having a say?

54 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Name another team with two owners.  Then find any team where the owner isn't in the room.  You won't find the latter.  Because they own the team.

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Name another team with two owners.  Then find any team where the owner isn't in the room.  You won't find the latter.  Because they own the team.

You made the point for me. Jerry Jones got so much flack for being hands on until things turned around. The Bills have a married couple who both want to be involved. I don’t think it’s an insult for fans to want the football guys doing the football side of things.

How did you like Kim and Terry’s handling of the Rex Ryan hire? Perhaps they should have handed that decision off to someone else? 

They own it, they can do it! Right. That doesn’t mean it’s the recipe for success. 

Put up a poll I would assure you that the overwhelming majority of fans want Beane making the decisions so he sinks or floats on his own.  No one wants another who’s doing what scenario playing out again in another year or so. (Except the Buffalo News)

Edited by Commonsense

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

“Who’s got a seat at the table, who can speak”

That was the direct quote. Explain to me how that excludes the Pegula’s from having a say?

As in, ask questions and see how their staff is preparing for the biggest day in their ownership history?

I'm sure it's not "Yeah, Terry you sit in the corner and stfu while the adults do their work.  And Kim, honey, can you run down and make a new pot of coffee?"

5 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

You made the point for me. Jerry Jones got so much flack for being hands on until things turned around. The Bills have a married couple who both want to be involved. I don’t think it’s an insult for fans to want the football guys doing the football side of things.

How did you like Kim and Terry’s handling of the Rex Ryan hire? Perhaps they should have handed that decision off to someone else? 

They own it, they can do it! Right. That doesn’t mean it’s the recipe for success. 

Put up a poll I would assure you that the overwhelming majority of fans want Beane making the decisions so he sinks or floats on his own.  No one wants another who’s doing what scenario playing out again in another year or so. (Except the Buffalo News)

The Pegulas are not running the draft and to insinuate that is absurd.  Look at your user name, then use some.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The Pegulas are not running the draft and to insinuate that is absurd.  Look at your user name, then use some.

Look at Beane’s quote. That insinuates that they have a say, does it not? Where did I or anyone else insinuate the Pegula’s are running the draft? Honest conversation is good conversation, exaggerating in an attempt to prove a point is wife material. 

5 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Look at Beane’s quote. That insinuates that they have a say, does it not? Where did I or anyone else insinuate the Pegula’s are running the draft? Honest conversation is good conversation, exaggerating in an attempt to prove a point is wife material. 

You insinuate it when you say you want football people handling football things.  When he says they have a say it does not mean they are picking the guys.  Just that they get to nod their heads and say great. 

As for Ryan, is there any other team in any professional sport that you know of where the owner does not make the final call on the HC?  They did, they were wrong, they fired him, then hired a coach that got their team to the playoffs.

Relax.  Beane and McDermott are running the football part of the Bills enterprise.  The owners have said it, Brandon has said it.  Unless you think they're lying.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

You insinuate it when you say you want football people handling football things.  When he says they have a say it does not mean they are picking the guys.  Just that they get to nod their heads and say great. 

As for Ryan, is there any other team in any professional sport that you know of where the owner does not make the final call on the HC?  They did, they were wrong, they fired him, then hired a coach that got their team to the playoffs.

Relax.  Beane and McDermott are running the football part of the Bills enterprise.  The owners have said it, Brandon has said it.  Unless you think they're lying.

Do they make the final call on a quarterback too? As you have said soooo many times, we don’t know. How would you feel if they pushed Beane away from a Rosen or Mayfield for non football reasons? We don’t know that do we? What we do know is they haven’t taken a step back after screwing up every hire they made when they became owners.

The main reason I hated Whaley is because he was spineless and just went with the flow. I’m under the impression Beane is different. If things go sour and we are again hearing about Terry and Kim’s involvement I will be seriously disappointed as a fan.

That’s all. I didn’t accuse anyone of lying. If you screw up making decisions that you are paying someone else to make then stop making decisions! 

Just now, Commonsense said:

Do they make the final call on a quarterback too? As you have said soooo many times, we don’t know. How would you feel if they pushed Beane away from a Rosen or Mayfield for non football reasons? We don’t know that do we? What we do know is they haven’t taken a step back after screwing up every hire they made when they became owners.

The main reason I hated Whaley is because he was spineless and just went with the flow. I’m under the impression Beane is different. If things go sour and we are again hearing about Terry and Kim’s involvement I will be seriously disappointed as a fan.

That’s all. I didn’t accuse anyone of lying. If you screw up making decisions that you are paying someone else to make then stop making decisions! 

The owners and Brandon have said football decisions are the province of the GM and HC.   If you want to think they're lying then be paranoid.  Fine by me.  I am comfortable that Beane and McD are the guys building this team.

20 hours ago, K-9 said:

Enjoyed hearing him talk about their mock process and how he doesn't make any of picks for the Bills or the other teams but instead makes everyone defend their selection. I suspect their mocks closely mirror the mocks in all the other war rooms around the league. 

I'm also convinced that Beane is totally unaffected by media and fan desires. I get the impression he's going to trust his board, too. So, if the right deal for moving up doesn't materialize, I think he's content with letting the draft come to him. And while I hope he can move up and get a QB he likes, I'm confident he's going to find good players, regardless. 

I hope so because if he came on TBD read the 4,328 pathetic trade up threads he'd off himself.

Edited by BeefCurtns

9 hours ago, Commonsense said:

They are going to have a say, as they should, but no one has accused them of making any GM pick a specific player.  No coach has accused them of demanding certain players play or certain plays are called.  

The Rex and Rob circus was them taking a back seat. HELLO...