Shaq Lawson Sets Sights on Pro Bowl & Super Bowl in His 3rd Season

19 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Good shot of him but remove the bling. Too much Kid ! 

But i will keep faith : )

show me what ya got and make us all believe

rotation. strong rotation is how you play 4-3. ask Jim. ask the Eagles. McD would likely say the same.
this could be a very good group if the LBs get sorted and are gap dependable. stats be damned

The only concern about the Bills pass rush situation is there isn't a clear-cut dominant pass rusher on the roster. It's a grab bag of players that could be good but no one you can feel confident in to be a 10 or even close to 10 sack guy. Hughes is a bit older and his QB hits and pressures were down last season. Lorax was misused in 2017 hopefully in 2018 as a pure pass rusher he rebounds, but he will also be 35 which is a concern.

Shaq set the edge against the run well but has been hurt a lot and hasn't broken out as a pass rusher, hopefully he breaks out. Murphy was the big addition to help the pass rush in free agency but he is coming off a big injury. They signed that former 3rd round pick from the Giants too he is a good take a flyer type player. 

All of the Bills pass rushers have huge concerns but they all also have potential to be productive. I think they are likely going to see what pans out from the current players and then address it next off-season.  

Did anybody who watched the clip REALLY feel like he is brimming with confidence?

It looked to me like a guy hanging around his old school where he was a big deal, trying to act confident when he really knows he ain't cutting it. I actually feel more embarrassed for him than anything else. He can't even look at the reporter.

19 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The only concern about the Bills pass rush situation is there isn't a clear-cut dominant pass rusher on the roster. It's a grab bag of players that could be good but no one you can feel confident in to be a 10 or even close to 10 sack guy. Hughes is a bit older and his QB hits and pressures were down last season. Lorax was misused in 2017 hopefully in 2018 as a pure pass rusher he rebounds, but he will also be 35 which is a concern.

Shaq set the edge against the run well but has been hurt a lot and hasn't broken out as a pass rusher, hopefully he breaks out. Murphy was the big addition to help the pass rush in free agency but he is coming off a big injury. They signed that former 3rd round pick from the Giants too he is a good take a flyer type player. 

All of the Bills pass rushers have huge concerns but they all also have potential to be productive. I think they are likely going to see what pans out from the current players and then address it next off-season.  

My opinion is that if Bills can strengthen the interior ( not a Washington fan ) the edge rushers will improve. I did watch Hughes pretty closely last year, and he is Always being held still!  Still fast off the ball and keeps his LT busy and worried.

Lawson will not likely ever break out as a sack master. He just needs to play disciplined and learn some new moves to become tad more effective pushingcollapsing pockets. He was more a stay at home guy last year by design i think.

Murphy will help the rotation and I hope Eddie and Lorax can spell them in situations. I like the mix.

But the Coach can only call what the LBs can handle imho.

thats the key this year.
I agree , there is potential for the D line to be very good

22 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Haven't understood the hate for Lawson.  Most DE's don't get 10 sacks in their first season.  He provided us with solid run defense.  We were missing a player like Star.  Jumping ship after two seasons for the position of defensive end is too fast for me.  I think Lawson would play a nice role with Trent Murphy in the mix.  Look at how long it took Clowney.

I’m with you on this.  Many here would have run Bruce Smith out of town after his rookie season (6.5 sacks as the #1 overall pick)

23 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Haven't understood the hate for Lawson.  Most DE's don't get 10 sacks in their first season.  He provided us with solid run defense.  We were missing a player like Star.  Jumping ship after two seasons for the position of defensive end is too fast for me.  I think Lawson would play a nice role with Trent Murphy in the mix.  Look at how long it took Clowney.

i think he can still play inside...especially inside murphy. i think this will be his best year so far and i'm not giving up on him or dealing him away. unless we draft a vea , hurst or payne,  i would put him inside more. he can be disruptive enough to let the end run free.

20 hours ago, OJABBA said:

Did anybody who watched the clip REALLY feel like he is brimming with confidence?

It looked to me like a guy hanging around his old school where he was a big deal, trying to act confident when he really knows he ain't cutting it. I actually feel more embarrassed for him than anything else. He can't even look at the reporter.

He said pro bowl and super bowl are goals and implied super bowl was a team goal.

Nothing wrong with that. At least he did not go all Robert Royal and think he is headed to HOF. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, cba fan said:

He said pro bowl and super bowl are goals and implied super bowl was a team goal.

Nothing wrong with that. At least he did not go all Robert Royal and think he is headed to HOF. 

Hey man, thanks for taking the time to clear that up for me. I'm really looking forward to watching Shaq. His wonderful spirit and the leadership that it just might provide, could prove to be pivotal for us this season, don't you think?

On 4/18/2018 at 6:56 PM, billsfan89 said:

I feel like the Bills are going with quantity over quality on the pass rush front. They have Shaq, Hughes, Lorax, and Murphy and a few other players they seem to be taking a chance on and just hoping 1-2 of them have good seasons and they can cobble together a pass rush. Considering the resources so far this off-season I think it isn't a bad strategy. 

I could be wrong but I think McDermott's strong preference is a lot of rotation on DL

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong but I think McDermott's strong preference is a lot of rotation on DL

you Sir are Correct.

Jim Schwartz has shown it is a viable method.

Rex Ryan showed how Not to do it.

in case we did not know. :huh:

Lawson is a player i want to see come around. Steady reliable, and good team mate the 7 can trust to do his job. Thats good enough for me

Edited by 3rdand12

57 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I just worry that Shaq's ceiling is just a little better than Kelsay. Average pass rusher with better run stopping skills. I don't ever see him getting double digit sacks....

And that would be a pretty good outcome for a player picked where Lawson was.  I think if he gets healthy and in top shape for him, he could be get 7 sacks and be a very good run defender - and that would be fine if he can do that for multiple years.

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I just worry that Shaq's ceiling is just a little better than Kelsay. Average pass rusher with better run stopping skills. I don't ever see him getting double digit sacks....

Kelsay was a poor run defender.    Undersized and overwhelmed.....could not set an edge.   He was a speed bump vs the ground game.

His game was pass rush.   He was better at it than his truly feeble sack stats would indicate but not worth the liability he created in run defense. 

Shaq, unlike Kelsay, is actually a good run defender.......once his slow twitch brain/muscles get him out of his stance he is truly strong and has good short area quickness and hands at that point.    

But that first step is so tragically bad......worst in the NFL.....and the most important trait of a good pass rusher is being able to get the OT off balance with a quick initial move.

We want all our high draft pick players to be these great all pros right away, but that’s not the reality.

Shaq already sets a solid edge as a run defender and that is absolutely nothing to sneeze at.

His presence was missed when he wasn’t on the field.

If he can provide more.......... shouldn’t we all want that?

He is still only 24, so he could still have excellent potential.