Bills G.M. Brandon Beane: “We have to draft best player available”

I like this quote.  Donahoe reaching for Losman and Nix reaching for EJ comes to mnd.

When we get to draft day we’re not going to reach. We’re not. I have seen that and it rarely works when you reach,” he said. “I’ve seen where decisions were made and it’s decided that a team will not come out of the draft without ‘X’ position filled. I have a lot of examples in my head right now that happened.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Who knows what this means at the top of the draft.  You can understand what it means for reaching down, but what does it mean for reaching up?

A lot of talk about Beane reaching up or reaching down. I hope he doesn’t reach around. Discuss. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I like this quote.  Donahoe reaching for Losman and Nix reaching for EJ comes to mnd.

When we get to draft day we’re not going to reach. We’re not. I have seen that and it rarely works when you reach,” he said. “I’ve seen where decisions were made and it’s decided that a team will not come out of the draft without ‘X’ position filled. I have a lot of examples in my head right now that happened.

To me this says the Buffalo Bills will not select Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph at #12.  If they can't get up for one of the top 4 they are going to go BPA at #12 and it won't be a Quarterback.  

• Like (+1) 8

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

And for the most part we don’t have many glaring holes,” Beane said. “We do have a couple, but I don’t feel like we’re entering the draft with five starting positions that I’ve got to find in this draft.”

He's right.  There's 4.  QB, RG, RT, MLB.  WR could be swapped with RT.  Or Maybe RG, RT, MLB, WR's as the starting positions from the draft and the QB has to sit for a bit.  Which immediately puts Allen in play YUK.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Whatever he says 2 weeks before the draft is a lie.

I wouldn't say it's a lie.  I'd say it's ambiguous because based on what he said, no matter what they do at the draft he can say we took BPA based on our board LOL.

10 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

He's right.  There's 4.  QB, RG, RT, MLB.  WR could be swapped with RT.  Or Maybe RG, RT, MLB, WR's as the starting positions from the draft and the QB has to sit for a bit.  Which immediately puts Allen in play YUK.

I'd say QB, LG, MLB are the three "glaring holes."

Then WR, RG, C, RT and SLB are all positions where we could do with upgrades.  Plus some depth at corner and edge.  

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Whatever he says 2 weeks before the draft is a lie.

Yolo, I am with you.  2 weeks before the draft I don't even think he tells his wife the truth.

i just wonder whether he has that extra John Butler chromosome wherein he already knows what almost every team is going to do in the first round.

sort of famous, but maybe urban legend, wherein Butler picked every first round pick for each team.

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Is it possible to pick best player available and still fill specific starting roles?  Thats a serious question.  The guy just said he needs to fill 22 percent of his starting roster with draft picks.

It is sometimes but not all the time.