Here we go again with a new QB

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Next year's QB class looks terrible. Drew Lock would be around Rudolph level in this draft. Get the man now and then worry.

But then we can trade down, acquire more picks to fill holes, and still get a QB in a QB-weak draft. Because that worked so well in 2013.

3 hours ago, Mickey said:

The weird thing is that if there is anything the people of Buffalo complain about when it comes to how others see their city, besides the weather, is that too often Buffalo is seen as a small time, nickel and dime kind of town. And yet, here we are, drowning in small time, nickel and dime posts about the "devastating" cost to get a QB. What's devastating to me is watching a franchise never giving itself a chance by paying the price for a top QB prospect. Getting by on the cheap with trade downs, mediocrities, has-beens and never-were's like Manuel, Orton and Taylor while watching the Rams trade up for Goff to go 11-4 and the Eagles trade up for Wentz and win a championship is what I call "devastating". 

I don't know if any of these QB's have what it takes, none of us do. All I'm asking is that if, if, if, if our brain trust sees any of these guys as a legit franchise QB prospect that they have the guts and the cunning to find a way to get that guy on our roster. I think they do, otherwise, what was the point of moving up to 12? There must be somebody there they like. If they do think one of these guys is "the" guy but don't have the courage or the wherewithal to go out and get him, then what are the Pegula's paying them for? People, all the Matt Milanos in the world are not going to lead this team to a Superbowl and neither is McPeterman. 

https://media.giphy.com/media/GQnsaAWZ8ty00/giphy.gif

Edited by joesixpack

Pragmatism doesn't say that at all. Pragmatism says you can't win (and we have decades of experience with this in Buffalo) without a good QB.

So pragmatism says you need to do what you can to go get one.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

We've had elite DE, DT, CB, WR G, C, RB all on the same team at one time.

And we have ONE playoff game (in which we scored 3 freaking points) in 17 years to show for it.

Let's try having an elite QB.

if I could like this post 152 times, I would.

$$$$ hinders the colts..not drafting the qb. Geez

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

We've had elite DE, DT, CB, WR G, C, RB all on the same team at one time.

And we have ONE playoff game (in which we scored 3 freaking points) in 17 years to show for it.

Let's try having an elite QB.

This shld pretty much end the thread. Why this is so difficult, I'll never know.... but man...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

$$$$ hinders the colts..not drafting the qb. Geez

This shld pretty much end the thread. Why this is so difficult, I'll never know.... but man...

Hell, we even had an elite punter and FG kicker!

This team actually sold the punter's jersey in the team store! LOL

I don't understand these people who say things like it'd be a devastating cost to trade up.

You trade up, and try to build around the guy. It doesn't work, then we're back in the top 5 in 2020. I watched for the better part of 16 years an awful team, and you guys can't gamble away 2 years? Grow a pair. Outside of shady who on this roster do you care about winning for in the short term. Or who has talent that you think they must capitalize on or you'd feel like they missed a window. Draft a QB. There is no winning now by filling holes, and 2019 hasn't appeared to be a big qb year. Sure it could turn out differently but this has been the year of the qb for 2 or 3 years now.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Pragmatism doesn't say that at all. Pragmatism says you can't win (and we have decades of experience with this in Buffalo) without a good QB.

So pragmatism says you need to do what you can to go get one.

I was going to go on about how nothing in that post was pragmatic, but I was lazy and I just assumed it'd go over his head.

The point about Luck is just beyond... I'm going to refrain from being any more rude.

• Thank you (+1) 1

For the better part of 20 years we have tried this approach. Build up the roster and try to get away with a crap quarterback. Hey the Ravens won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer that one time, so it could work. You sound like Doug Whaley. We had a lot of talent over the years. Where did that get us? 

We need a franchise quarterback and need to continue to build a team. But we need a franchise quarterback. A guy like Josh Rosen will not get killed behind a crappy line if he knows where to go with the football. Even Baker Mayfield, who I don't like, should be able to deliver a quick strike and throw the ball around. 

I feel as though the prerequisite to being against a trade up is having to create your very own separate thread to tell everyone about it. 

I've seen this same thread from a new member every single day. "It's going to cost a lot" ...we know.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I feel as though the prerequisite to being against a trade up is having to create your very own separate thread to tell everyone about it. 

I've this same thread from a new member every single day. "It's going to cost a lot" ...we know.

usually is paired with wanting Mason Rudolph as well. 

11 hours ago, thurst44 said:

Every team has weak spots, and you are waaaaay exaggerating ours. I think the poster you are responding to meant OL as "offensive lineman" as in one. As much as he's trashed here, Ducasse actually did well last year (PFF rated him at the higher half of "average" and 24th overall, and while it's just one rating, that kind of fits my eye test and I also trashed him going in). Miller could easily come back. Bodine has started every game in the last four seasons (admittedly, up and down). That's not counting the possibility of signing someone like Joeckel. Ok, Mills pretty much sucks, but he's been our starting RT for the past few years while we have been .500. The line's probably not going to be great, but it could still very well be solid. There's a good chance someone like DJ Chark or Michael Gallup, with a lot of upside, falls to pick 65 (which we still have in this scenario). James Washington seems to also be falling and he's possibly the best in the draft.

What are you even talking about with street FA's playing two LB positions? Matt Milano and Lorenzo Alexander are the starters at two of the spots. Middle linebacker is the one hole there and it's admittedly a big one, but as of now it would be Tanner Vallejo over a UDFA, and that's most likely the other high (or highish) pick in draft even if we trade away some picks. Cornerback depth is meh for now, but our nickelback from last year is still out there anyway. Rafael Bush is a very good backup DB. 

This is not a team of superstars and will have holes. It will also likely have good coaching. And, again in this scenario, we have a potential star QB and a lot of cap space in 2019. Even then, I don't see this team by the end of free agency being particularly worse than last year's that went 9-7, and while the playoffs were lucky, that record (despite what some on here intimate) was very much earned. More importantly, they will probably be on the upswing. 

You have some pretty rose colored glasses. Can I borrow them? This roster as it is built now stinks. OL is bad, LB is bad, WR is bad, and DL is counting on guys 'bouncing back'.

This is a 4-12 team right now.

11 hours ago, Mickey said:

The weird thing is that if there is anything the people of Buffalo complain about when it comes to how others see their city, besides the weather, is that too often Buffalo is seen as a small time, nickel and dime kind of town. And yet, here we are, drowning in small time, nickel and dime posts about the "devastating" cost to get a QB. What's devastating to me is watching a franchise never giving itself a chance by paying the price for a top QB prospect. Getting by on the cheap with trade downs, mediocrities, has-beens and never-were's like Manuel, Orton and Taylor while watching the Rams trade up for Goff to go 11-4 and the Eagles trade up for Wentz and win a championship is what I call "devastating". 

I don't know if any of these QB's have what it takes, none of us do. All I'm asking is that if, if, if, if our brain trust sees any of these guys as a legit franchise QB prospect that they have the guts and the cunning to find a way to get that guy on our roster. I think they do, otherwise, what was the point of moving up to 12? There must be somebody there they like. If they do think one of these guys is "the" guy but don't have the courage or the wherewithal to go out and get him, then what are the Pegula's paying them for? People, all the Matt Milanos in the world are not going to lead this team to a Superbowl and neither is McPeterman. 

I enjoyed your post. It was rational and well thought out. I think "that QB" is there at 12. I really do. And I think the team can be built up around him with the other picks.

11 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Some thoughts.

The Bills are going to be a top 5 team in 2019? And then they can make their move for a QB how?

How exactly are they going to do that picking from 27-32? 

So don't give up picks this year, which they loaded up on, but give up picks next year which they haven't?

Pick a QB in 2019, which from the looks of it doesn't have great QB talent, and ignore the 2018 QB class which is rich with QB talent?

No, with a top 5 pick it is easier to move to #1 or #2. Use the bevy of picks this year to build the D front 7 and O-line and then get a QB in 2019

• Like (+1) 1

It all comes down to how McBeanegula feels about Lamar Jackson, Rudolph and the other potential starters.  If they like one of those guys a lot, they may stay where they are. If reports I’ve heard are true, that’s not the case because we’ve offered the giants many trades for 2.  If they have a conviction about one (or more than one) of the top 4 qbs, they should make the move and be smart about building king forward.  Get the qb you like most.  But if they really like Jackson, Rudolph or another guy, staying put makes sense.  Might even be able to trade down and accumulate more picks and still get a QB that they covet.  Might not seem smart to most, but you never know what McBeanegula thinks about this guys