Here we go again with a new QB

I know, 80% or so of TBD wants to draft a QB this year no matter the cost.

I want a QB too, but pragmatism says moving up now will be devastatingly expensive. We will have an Indy style QB cripple on a weak team. Andrew Luck has yet to throw a football again....

I think this is a deep QB draft, but not a top QB draft, I see maybe three QBs in this draft being NFL worthy with one second tier QB being good. This would follow QB history. Even the 83 draft had 3 top QBs and 3 misses.

No QB can succeed behind a terrible O-Line, bad WRs and a weak RB situation. Our O-line is now terrible to match the WR situation.

AJ McCarron signed with the Bills with rights to Cordy Glenn at LT, Eric Wood at Center and Incognito at LG. At worst his left side was solid, but all are gone now. AJ McCarron  will not only have a terrible WR corps, but will have a terrible O-line. He will get killed and fail, and fans will slaughter him, despite being in a failing situation. His O-line will suck now as will his WR corps. Any rookie QB coming into this situation will do worse if the Bills trade away their capital.

Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers and even Matt Ryan would look bad behind our current line and WR situation. At best this team has one possession WR, and a gimpy TE, an ageing RB, with one solid T and a good backup C/G. We are pathetic for building up a QB to be successful.

Why would any rookie QB succeed here? They would get killed. We need an O-line and some real weapons to be successful.

I feel bad for AJ McCarron. He is getting a raw deal before starting.

Even worse we will suck in 2018, and not have our top 5 pick in 2019 to build an Offense or Defense around because we traded it for our 'franchise QB'.

Buffalo is so so far behind in talent it needs the 2018 draft to be successful, and then move. We will be a top 5 draft pick team in 2019 and can make our move.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Eh...there are still picks to pick and moves to make.

Watch Baker fall to 12 because he's 6 feet tall and has maturity issues. We grab a solid OL and WR in the first 2 rounds and grab another vet in FA after more off-season cuts. 

Talk to me in August.

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Eh...there are still picks to pick and moves to make.

Watch Baker fall to 12 because he's 6 feet tall and has maturity issues. We grab a solid OL and WR in the first 2 rounds and grab another vet in FA after more off-season cuts. 

Talk to me in August.

How do you "grap a solid OL" and WR in the first two rounds.  If Baker or whoever falls to #12, that leaves you with 3 picks to get a solid LG, C, RG, OT and WR.  How is there going to be anything other than a 3rd string guy available after FA cuts?   Now you are also going to have street FA's playing two linebacker positions and no nickle back or solid backup at DB.    AND that would mean many rookies and a 100% hit rate.   There are too many "home runs" in that plan.

• Like (+1) 3

Did you really call us weak at RB? Did we lose Shady too!?

Wood was already out and Cordy was traded before we signed McCarron. 

You think it’ll be easier to make a move for a QB after we become a top 5 team next year? Good luck with that.

Bottom line, if you don’t have a franchise QB and think you can get one then you do it. Period. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

How do you "grap a solid OL" and WR in the first two rounds.  If Baker or whoever falls to #12, that leaves you with 3 picks to get a solid LG, C, RG, OT and WR.  How is there going to be anything other than a 3rd string guy available after FA cuts?   Now you are also going to have street FA's playing two linebacker positions and no nickle back or solid backup at DB.    AND that would mean many rookies and a 100% hit rate.   There are too many "home runs" in that plan.

Swing for the fences, baby.

Everyone thought they were going to suck last year and they broke the drought. Let them make the moves they want and see where they are in August. 

The one thing I absolutely know they're failing at is keeping Castillo as the OL coach.

16 minutes ago, DougFlutie7 said:

Another Bills fan dying to middle it. It’s a disease. 

It spread to the Bills FO for a while....

It's why we can't have nice things.

Some thoughts.

The Bills are going to be a top 5 team in 2019? And then they can make their move for a QB how?

How exactly are they going to do that picking from 27-32? 

So don't give up picks this year, which they loaded up on, but give up picks next year which they haven't?

Pick a QB in 2019, which from the looks of it doesn't have great QB talent, and ignore the 2018 QB class which is rich with QB talent?

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, DougFlutie7 said:

Another Bills fan dying to middle it. It’s a disease. 

The weird thing is that if there is anything the people of Buffalo complain about when it comes to how others see their city, besides the weather, is that too often Buffalo is seen as a small time, nickel and dime kind of town. And yet, here we are, drowning in small time, nickel and dime posts about the "devastating" cost to get a QB. What's devastating to me is watching a franchise never giving itself a chance by paying the price for a top QB prospect. Getting by on the cheap with trade downs, mediocrities, has-beens and never-were's like Manuel, Orton and Taylor while watching the Rams trade up for Goff to go 11-4 and the Eagles trade up for Wentz and win a championship is what I call "devastating". 

I don't know if any of these QB's have what it takes, none of us do. All I'm asking is that if, if, if, if our brain trust sees any of these guys as a legit franchise QB prospect that they have the guts and the cunning to find a way to get that guy on our roster. I think they do, otherwise, what was the point of moving up to 12? There must be somebody there they like. If they do think one of these guys is "the" guy but don't have the courage or the wherewithal to go out and get him, then what are the Pegula's paying them for? People, all the Matt Milanos in the world are not going to lead this team to a Superbowl and neither is McPeterman. 

Edited by Mickey
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Every team has weak spots, and you are waaaaay exaggerating ours. I think the poster you are responding to meant OL as "offensive lineman" as in one. As much as he's trashed here, Ducasse actually did well last year (PFF rated him at the higher half of "average" and 24th overall, and while it's just one rating, that kind of fits my eye test and I also trashed him going in). Miller could easily come back. Bodine has started every game in the last four seasons (admittedly, up and down). That's not counting the possibility of signing someone like Joeckel. Ok, Mills pretty much sucks, but he's been our starting RT for the past few years while we have been .500. The line's probably not going to be great, but it could still very well be solid. There's a good chance someone like DJ Chark or Michael Gallup, with a lot of upside, falls to pick 65 (which we still have in this scenario). James Washington seems to also be falling and he's possibly the best in the draft.

What are you even talking about with street FA's playing two LB positions? Matt Milano and Lorenzo Alexander are the starters at two of the spots. Middle linebacker is the one hole there and it's admittedly a big one, but as of now it would be Tanner Vallejo over a UDFA, and that's most likely the other high (or highish) pick in draft even if we trade away some picks. Cornerback depth is meh for now, but our nickelback from last year is still out there anyway. Rafael Bush is a very good backup DB. 

This is not a team of superstars and will have holes. It will also likely have good coaching. And, again in this scenario, we have a potential star QB and a lot of cap space in 2019. Even then, I don't see this team by the end of free agency being particularly worse than last year's that went 9-7, and while the playoffs were lucky, that record (despite what some on here intimate) was very much earned. More importantly, they will probably be on the upswing. 

Edited by thurst44
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

They say Vitamin D is good for seratonin levels and helps increase energy. Also, try getting an hour or two of sunlight each day

Buffalo can’t even get an hour or two of sunlight bruh

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

So, it's another "wait till next year for a qb" thread.

Been seeing these for more than a decade now, and we keep waiting for the next draft, that elusive draft full of can't-miss future HOFer's. I got news for you -that draft ain't comin'-. This is the best QB draft in the recent past, and it's time to step up to the plate and swing for the fences.

Enough waiting until next year. Top QBs last for 10+ years. Just find one.

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

The weird thing is that if there is anything the people of Buffalo complain about when it comes to how others see their city, besides the weather, is that too often Buffalo is seen as a small time, nickel and dime kind of town. And yet, here we are, drowning in small time, nickel and dime posts about the "devastating" cost to get a QB. What's devastating to me is watching a franchise never giving itself a chance by paying the price for a top QB prospect. Getting by on the cheap with trade downs, mediocrities, has-beens and never-were's like Manuel, Orton and Taylor while watching the Rams trade up for Goff to go 11-4 and the Eagles trade up for Wentz and win a championship is what I call "devastating". 

I don't know if any of these QB's have what it takes, none of us do. All I'm asking is that if, if, if, if our brain trust sees any of these guys as a legit franchise QB prospect that they have the guts and the cunning to find a way to get that guy on our roster. I think they do, otherwise, what was the point of moving up to 12? There must be somebody there they like. If they do think one of these guys is "the" guy but don't have the courage or the wherewithal to go out and get him, then what are the Pegula's paying them for? People, all the Matt Milanos in the world are not going to lead this team to a Superbowl and neither is McPeterman. 

Those nickel and dime posts come from people who live outside of the State mostly.  They have no clue what it’s like to live here with this team.

pick a QB,period.

2 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I think you truly under-value the Offensive line pieces in place. Groy will be ok, Newhouse hopefully turns Mills into an NFL orphan and there is still the Draft and Bodine who signed and was a 4 year starter in Cincy (he gets a bad rap, but the whole Offensive line was rough and it's hard to be the only one blocking - trust the process). And, while I don't agree with your "the sky is falling" kind of cry for help, I do agree this is not the Draft to trade away too much to move up. This QB class is wide / deep, not singularly phenomenal down to one or two. In other words, the guy you can get at 12, is probably pretty close to as good as the guy you can get at 4. 

Use the picks for rebuilding the roster - Offensive line is a need (just not in the same way you mentioned, IMO), LBers of course, another boundary WR and CB depth. I'd like a DT but Kyle Williams is back, Star was signed and there's still the other depth guys, so at this point, it's not as much of a need as it was to start FA. 

• Like (+1) 1

a 5th round backup QB is getting a raw deal?  i didn't know we owed him anything.  are you related to him or something?  who cares?  welcome to the real world where things often don't go your way.  if he's not good enough to beat out a rookie QB then he doesn't deserve to play.  best player plays on this team.

news flash but most highly drafted QB's step into way worse situations than ours.  we made the playoffs last year.  if you are a top QB you are usually going to a team that just finished with 0-3 wins.  i think they will be just fine.  have you seen New England's offensive line?  you think theirs is that much better than ours?

sounds like you need a nap and a blanky.  lots of whining going on in this thread :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

They say Vitamin D is good for seratonin levels and helps increase energy. Also, try getting an hour or two of sunlight each day. 

You forgot Exercise  I hear that helps too TCK.

lol 

I think. OP has some really good points just sayin'.....and to the boxed quote  I'll  make this plain: Cordy Glenn GONE Eric Wood GONE Richie  yep he's gone too. And that leaves the bills offensive line staffed currently with whom exactly?  I trust the process  but these are some trying times until we see how this all plays out. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I know, 80% or so of TBD wants to draft a QB this year no matter the cost.

I want a QB too, but pragmatism says moving up now will be devastatingly expensive. We will have an Indy style QB cripple on a weak team. Andrew Luck has yet to throw a football again....

I think this is a deep QB draft, but not a top QB draft, I see maybe three QBs in this draft being NFL worthy with one second tier QB being good. This would follow QB history. Even the 83 draft had 3 top QBs and 3 misses.

No QB can succeed behind a terrible O-Line, bad WRs and a weak RB situation. Our O-line is now terrible to match the WR situation.

AJ McCarron signed with the Bills with rights to Cordy Glenn at LT, Eric Wood at Center and Incognito at LG. At worst his left side was solid, but all are gone now. AJ McCarron  will not only have a terrible WR corps, but will have a terrible O-line. He will get killed and fail, and fans will slaughter him, despite being in a failing situation. His O-line will suck now as will his WR corps. Any rookie QB coming into this situation will do worse if the Bills trade away their capital.

Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers and even Matt Ryan would look bad behind our current line and WR situation. At best this team has one possession WR, and a gimpy TE, an ageing RB, with one solid T and a good backup C/G. We are pathetic for building up a QB to be successful.

Why would any rookie QB succeed here? They would get killed. We need an O-line and some real weapons to be successful.

Even worse we will suck in 2018, and not have our top 5 pick in 2019 to build an Offense or Defense around because we traded it for our 'franchise QB'.

Buffalo is so so far behind in talent it needs the 2018 draft to be successful, and then move. We will be a top 5 team in 2019 and can make our move.

That’s why Riley Ferguson is going to be a fantastic  pick. ?