McShay Believes "High Probability" Buffalo Ultimately Trades to #2 (For Josh Allen)

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I sure hope McShay is right.

WRT the bold...

You just recreated moving up for Losman and letting Rothlisberger slip through your hands, AGAIN. This is the same loser attitude towards QB that has kept the Bills irrelevant for decades.

The sole reason we've amassed said capital is so we CAN move up. That was the whole point this entire time. Gather these assets so we can use them to maneuver. Backing out now would be a huge failure.

And trading away "half" our picks doesnt wipe us clean. We have the capital to move up to #2 and still keep a full regular draft.

Every Bills fan feels the same way about JP Losman now. 

Although it wasn't his fault he was drafted by a team with no patience in allowing him to develop properly. Drafted in 2004 by Mike Mularkey as HC, Tom Clements as OC.

Losman sat his first year after breaking his leg after being run into during training camp by Troy Vincent. The team brought in Kelly Holcomb after they dumped Bledsoe and he was the backup QB with Losman starting. Needless to say that Losman's offensive line wasn't any better at protecting him then it was Bledsoe and so the musical chairs of benching QB's started. 

Losman actually played pretty decently in 2006 despite the crappy O line and the team went 7-9 under new HC Dick Jauron with Steve Fairchild as OC. That year Losman was the 11th best passer in the NFL with an 84.9 rating. Bad lines, bad coaching and always looking over your shoulder to see if you will be benched.

Two head coaches, four different OC's. Clements, Fairchild, Schonert, Alex Van Pelt and none really worth a damn. Clements wasn't bad later on but he got his first job as an OC in Buffalo.

I feel bad for both JP and Edwards as they really had no chance to do well in Buffalo.

3 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I want nothing to do with Josh Allen. I think he's going to be a complete bust. 

If Mayfield falls to 6th, I'm moving up to get him. If I can't do that, I'm taking Jackson at 12. 

I want the guys who are good football players, not the guys who look good throwing a football in shorts against no defense. 

You could also be completely wrong 

We didnt trade up to 12 and what ever the next trade is for a project qb. We waited till the last min to sign AJ mccaron for back up money. Beane def wants to leave this draft with Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.  He wouldnt have made all the moves he made to take a QB thats years away, or to build around AJ.

4 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Trade up to #2 is probably realistic; I would be cautious on the QB name at this point, that could easily be smoke...

Mayfield has seen us soon to be 4 times and Rosen 3 times. Contact with Allen has been less than both of those thus far...

Right.

I think it's to push the browns to get him.

8 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

We didnt trade up to 12 and what ever the next trade is for a project qb. We waited till the last min to sign AJ mccaron for back up money. Beane def wants to leave this draft with Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.  He wouldnt have made all the moves he made to take a QB thats years away, or to build around AJ.

It's pretty much accepted that darnold should get a year on the bench though...

14 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Right.

I think it's to push the browns to get him.

It's pretty much accepted that darnold should get a year on the bench though...

Yeah but Allen isnt just a year away.

And Darnold has played a lot better defenses last season and still has better numbers.

Im not a scout but i def have Darnold over Allen if it was a Madden draft.

5 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Trade up to #2 is probably realistic; I would be cautious on the QB name at this point, that could easily be smoke...

Mayfield has seen us soon to be 4 times and Rosen 3 times. Contact with Allen has been less than both of those thus far...

Which actually could mean no interest but could also mean Mayfield and Rosen are smoke.  At this point it's just whatever, get this over with haha.

5 hours ago, ddaryl said:

OK what terms would you like to use in regards who has the best hand of picks to move up in the draft.

Instead of Draft capital you would say _____________________.

To quickly describe a QB 's overall ability to pass the ball to multiple spots on the field with velocity and accuracy

Instead of Arm Talent you would say ______________________.

Curious to know what is a better way to go about these 2 cliches that would better describe the overall situation trying to be discussed

Good question.  1.  Draft picks.  2.  Arm (exact term will depend on context).

5 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

and if he falls to 12-15 ? would you take him ?
Rosen and Darnold appear to be the guys who go one two. So if Bills want one of them they better make deal with Cleveland or more likely Giants.

after that it might be a wild ride to see where the next 3 go.

Would anyone here , not freak out if they went BPA at 12 or so and got the a QB that late or later ?
I bet half of us would.

But it is not un sound advice from a logical standpoint.

The above poster was also working as Allen being the 'worst' is a given. The article on page one about scouting things that are givens was an interesting spin and one that makes sense. I dont understand why some insist on pretending Allen is being propped up and the hype is smoke and mirrors. Now I'm personally not a Jackson fan, but that's due to the style of play. The Bill's recently jettisoned a similar skill set so it would seem redundant to then opt for the upgraded version. That said, I respect Jackson as a prospect and although I dont want him to be Bills property,  I get the infatuation and if that's the road they want to take then so be it. With everything up in the air it's almost foolish to develop a bias bordering on hate or absolutes (bust) at this point bc any of them could be the future... not to mention we aren't GMs or in control of the Bill's assets/decisions

• Thank you (+1) 1

I understand the instinct to want it all:

Wait until 6 and trade up for Mayfield to preserve as many assets as we can. 

The problem is, NFL Quarterback is the one position in all of sports where you can’t really afford to sit back and wait to see what falls to you. 

A new regime needs to identify their guy and go get him. You can’t wait and hope the the cornerstone of your entire franchise and offensive system falls to you. You can’t risk another team moving up and sniping you, then settling for what is left. 

You can take a wait and see approach if you already have something in place, but when you are seeking the face of the franchise, you need to identify your guy and get him. Full stop. 

Careers hinge on making the right choice. Nobody in their right mind would leave that to chance. If they see The Guy, they are going to go get him. If they don’t see him in this draft, they need to pass altogether. There is no sane middle ground. 

Why oh why does Josh Allen have to exist?! 

He's really bringing down what has otherwise been a really fun draft buildup.

Still, the fear that OBD trades a bunch of picks to move up and draft him is really, REALLY raining on my parade.

To give up as much as the front office has given up (Watkins, Dareus, Darby, Ragland, Jones, trading down instead of taking Watson/Mahomes last season, the numerous picks it will take to move up) just to draft JOSH ALLEN?!?! Please God no! And does Beane really want to stake his CAREER on the guy? 

The whole thing makes me queasy. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Still, the fear that OBD trades a bunch of picks to move up and draft him is really, REALLY raining on my parade.

To give up as much as the front office has given up (Watkins, Dareus, Darby, Ragland, Jones, trading down instead of taking Watson/Mahomes last season, the numerous picks it will take to move up) just to draft JOSH ALLEN?!?! Please God no! And does Beane really want to stake his CAREER on the guy? 

My thoughts exactly.

I just wish Cleveland would come out and say they're picking him. It would help me sleep better at night. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

But what if he's good?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

But what if he's good?

I mean....I'm not denying that's a possibility.

I just happen to think the odds of it happening are quite low. 

I'd love to watch his career from afar. Say...as a New York Jet. THAT I'd like to see. 

Allen as a Bill, though? Gross.

All any of us have are opinions at this point. No one really knows. My opinion is quite clear and consistent: I think Josh Allen is a bust-o-rama waiting to happen.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FearLess Price said:

Yeah but Allen isnt just a year away.

And Darnold has played a lot better defenses last season and still has better numbers.

Im not a scout but i def have Darnold over Allen if it was a Madden draft.

I'll not here to debate who is better

My point was darnold should sit for 1 year is accepted across the board

Allen for minimum 1, maybe 2

So your assertion that the bills signed aj mccarron as a backup to use a day 1 starter would then eliminate darnold by your logic as well

That was my point

9 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Spent a lot of time watching Allen the last week. The best comparison I came up with was Cam Newton. I wonder if the Bills see the same thing. If so it's easy to understand their love for Allen with the history of the people making the pick. 

How does Allen remind you of Cam?

Just now, GunnerBill said:

The Bills are going to #2 so long as Cleveland doesn't take their guy. 

I get that sense, Buffalo will get up to two as long as Darnold is not still on the board.

It will be difficult but there is too much smoke for there not to be any fire