3-26: Brandon Beane Speaks at the Owners Meetings in Orlando - Talking to a Lot of Teams

9 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

OK but let's admit one thing, their "premier guy" may not be who we think it is.

and as of right now, i think they get the benefit of the doubt with that. they are trying to get the players that best fit into their team. can't wait to see what it looks like after the draft. 

39 minutes ago, sven233 said:

I will give Beane the benefit of the doubt for now, but I maintain that if the Bills don't come out of the draft with Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield,. it is an epic, all time failure on his part.  With everything the Bills have done since the draft last year, the 1 singular goal of this organization is to get a premier QB prospect in this draft.  They have traded away very good players, accumulated a ton of picks, and already improved their draft positron once.  There is no excuse for him not to get one of those 3 guys.

I don't buy for a second that the Colts wouldn't have traded with us for the right price.  Yes, the Colts owner came out and said initially that they didn't want to move out of the top 10, but now there are a ton of reports out there saying they wouldn't mind moving down again.  That tells me that the pick could have probably been had for the right price and Beane did not want to pay whatever it was and the Jets did.  So, if the opportunity was indeed there to make a move with the Colts, and Beane doesn't end up with Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield, all of the good will he has built with me, and a lot of fans, will be gone.  I'm sorry.....but I didn't pass on Mahomes and Watson last year, trade Watkins, Dareus, Darby, and Glenn to come out of this draft without a top QB prospect......

So yeah.....Beane has the benefit of the doubt for now, but he needs to finish the job.

Or...(and my hope) going to 3 that early left too many variables. Maybe it is wishful thinking.. but if you LOVE Rosen and you blow your wad to get to 3 and then have another team get into 2.. well, joke is on you. Maybe 2 isn't for sale - but I gotta say, if it is and they get it?? Man, yay for them getting THEIR guy and double yay for pissing in the jets coffee. Then it's just a matter of hoping your guy nails it and double bonus if the jets busts

39 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

OK but let's admit one thing, their "premier guy" may not be who we think it is.

Fair enough,  a valid point

1 hour ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

I seriously hope he is just saying all this stuff about how much they love the 12th pick in order to drum up some interest from other teams.... and that he already has a plan in place to move up for a QB they are comfortable with.

He said if the player they want is there they will go up.  Although he didn't say if the player that dude on TSW wants is there we have to trade the next 2 drafts or 4 1st to get em.

• Like (+1) 2

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to 3-26: Brandon Beane Speaks at the Owners Meetings in Orlando - Talking to a Lot of Teams
47 minutes ago, sven233 said:

I will give Beane the benefit of the doubt for now, but I maintain that if the Bills don't come out of the draft with Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield,. it is an epic, all time failure on his part.  With everything the Bills have done since the draft last year, the 1 singular goal of this organization is to get a premier QB prospect in this draft.  They have traded away very good players, accumulated a ton of picks, and already improved their draft positron once.  There is no excuse for him not to get one of those 3 guys.

I don't buy for a second that the Colts wouldn't have traded with us for the right price.  Yes, the Colts owner came out and said initially that they didn't want to move out of the top 10, but now there are a ton of reports out there saying they wouldn't mind moving down again.  That tells me that the pick could have probably been had for the right price and Beane did not want to pay whatever it was and the Jets did.  So, if the opportunity was indeed there to make a move with the Colts, and Beane doesn't end up with Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield, all of the good will he has built with me, and a lot of fans, will be gone.  I'm sorry.....but I didn't pass on Mahomes and Watson last year, trade Watkins, Dareus, Darby, and Glenn to come out of this draft without a top QB prospect......

So yeah.....Beane has the benefit of the doubt for now, but he needs to finish the job.

Beane is in a better position to decide who the top prospects are than any of us.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This doesn't help at all - it actually makes it way worse. Just consummate the f-in trade...

In all honestly his comments (haven't watched it yet, just based on the tweets and such) makes me feel like it is either gonna get announced as a 3 way trade or we are going to have to wait until draft day....

They are going to wait and see if their guy is there.  They are not going to trade up just to be higher.  Apparently 1st overall is not an option to them or they would trade up now.

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Well.  There was a thread on the owners meetings and topics from it.  

Not my fault someone refuses to post in them because he’s prickly.  

This definitely deserved its own thread.

Although I appreciate the work to keep the board from getting too cluttered, I am getting weary of having to wade through omnibus threads to find news, fresh topics, and interesting takes. Why should something as general as the owner's meeting have its own thread and be the only place to post on all of the many kinds of topics that might come out during that meeting?

That being said, I acknowledge that this is the best discussion board on the internet. Love it, and I appreciate all the work people do to keep it that way. But maybe we could be a little less intense about jumping on people posting new topics?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He is saying exactly what I am .   If cleveland makes their pick and their is a guy they like there at 2 and they think he is worthy of it they will try to get a deal done if they don't have one already.  There may not be a guy they like at that cost or they may feel they can get him lower.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

5 minutes ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

This definitely deserved its own thread.

Although I appreciate the work to keep the board from getting too cluttered, I am getting weary of having to wade through omnibus threads to find news, fresh topics, and interesting takes. Why should something as general as the owner's meeting have its own thread and be the only place to post on all of the many kinds of topics that might come out during that meeting?

That being said, I acknowledge that this is the best discussion board on the internet. Love it, and I appreciate all the work people do to keep it that way. But maybe we could be a little less intense about jumping on people posting new topics?

Did Beane speak to the nfl rules talked about by the owners in his presser?

seems we might have a Gronkowski rule.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

55 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:thumbsup:

I think the one guy they are willing to bet the farm on is Darnold, but the Browns will take him. People can B word about not moving into the top 4 to get one of Rosen, Mayfield, or even Allen, but I don't think the Bills are willing to pay the price for a guy they have questions about. if you don't have conviction about a guy, then don't make the move to satisfy the peanut gallery.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TPS said:

I think the one guy they are willing to bet the farm on is Darnold, but the Browns will take him. People can B word about not moving into the top 4 to get one of Rosen, Mayfield, or even Allen, but I don't think the Bills are willing to pay the price for a guy they have questions about. if you don't have conviction about a guy, then don't make the move to satisfy the peanut gallery.

He'll have to be 100% sure on a guy to make any such move.  That's the way it should and has to be.  No doubts!

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

QUICK HITS: BEANE TALKING TO LOTS OF TEAMS
Bills GM Brandon Beane is at the owners meetings in Orlando, and has been talking with several NFL clubs. He's also spoken to Zay Jones and assures that there's time to address the receiver position.

It is almost as if they used your thread here as cliff notes...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sven233 said:

Maybe the Colts would have, but probably not. The Bills spot at #12 was likely a sticking point. Once the Jets expressed interest, the Colts leveraged the Bills offer to raise the Jets price. As long as the Jets would agree, they were getting the 3spot. Their pick at 6 was a far more attractive move to Colts GM Ballard, and carried only a small risk of losing out on targeted player. It was getting 3 2nds for practically nothing. Best of all, he could sit tight at 6 and wait for the phone to ring again if a coveted QB is still on the board. He'd end up with more picks this way than by taking the Bills offer and going all the way out of the top 10. You're really overlooking the obvious to blame Beane ; he simply didn't have the cards to win that hand. 6 is better than 12 and the Jets picks are better in every round. A future first? The Jets could match that too and it's just as likely to be a high pick as Buffalo's. In the end, they got beat out by a team with more to offer in exchange for less from the Colts. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Maybe the Colts would have, but probably not. The Bills spot at #12 was likely a sticking point. Once the Jets expressed interest, the Colts leveraged the Bills offer to raise the Jets price. As long as the Jets would agree, they were getting the 3spot. Their pick at 6 was a far more attractive move to Colts GM Ballard, and carried only a small risk of losing out on targeted player. It was getting 3 2nds for practically nothing. Best of all, he could sit tight at 6 and wait for the phone to ring again if a coveted QB is still on the board. He'd end up with more picks this way than by taking the Bills offer and going all the way out of the top 10. You're really overlooking the obvious to blame Beane ; he simply didn't have the cards to win that hand. 6 is better than 12 and the Jets picks are better in every round. A future first? The Jets could match that too and it's just as likely to be a high pick as Buffalo's. In the end, they got beat out by a team with more to offer in exchange for less from the Colts. 

Well said, the biggest point is they stayed in the top ten with the ability to move out and acquire more combined with the (two) trades than had they just made the one with us at 12.

The Colts played their position very well, which is something being over looked and some how laid at Beans doorstep.

I get what you're feeling but it's kind of like saying to you wife, "It's an epic all time fail if you don't come home with a t-bone steak - even if they're charging $1,000/lb."

7 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I get what you're feeling but it's kind of like saying to you wife, "It's an epic all time fail if you don't come home with a t-bone steak - even if they're charging $1,000/lb."

But, in this case, the steak wasn't $1000/pound.  The Jets gave up 3 2nd round picks.  Is it a lot?  Yeah.....  Was it an offer that the Bills could have easily beaten?  Definitely.  Not all steak is created equal, either.  There are some cuts that are just worth spending a little bit more on.  And in this draft, there are 3 guys, in my opinion in Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield, that are worth spending more than normal on.

Easily, IMO, post of the day.  You wrote what I was thinking, verbatim.  

I honestly don't see how one could come to ANY other conclusion if this happens.  I really don't know if I can sit here and wait a WHOLE NOTHER MONTH. (thanks Kdiggz for reminding me!!!)

14 minutes ago, sven233 said:

But, in this case, the steak wasn't $1000/pound.  The Jets gave up 3 2nd round picks.  Is it a lot?  Yeah.....  Was it an offer that the Bills could have easily beaten?  Definitely.  Not all steak is created equal, either.  There are some cuts that are just worth spending a little bit more on.  And in this draft, there are 3 guys, in my opinion in Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield, that are worth spending more than normal on.

You can keep saying this till the cows come home.  Or one can choose to believe what the Colts GM said.  I think I know which one I'll go with.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think they will go all in for the QB. I can see his interview after the trade and pick is in "We felt really strongly about Josh Rosen and what he can bring to our team. It was not a tough decision to be able to give what the picks to move up and get him. He is a big upgrade for our team and we felt this was the best move for the Buffalo Bills."

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You can keep saying this till the cows come home.  Or one can choose to believe what the Colts GM said.  I think I know which one I'll go with.

Ballard cannot say, "We gave the Bills a chance to match and they declined." Can't "out" your fellow GMs like that; you talk about the deal you made, not the one you could have made. Also, in the same interview, Ballard did say they would listen to offers and are willing to move from 6....

• Like (+1) 1

I think Beane is being 100% honest. He is exploring trades.  Beane is going to see what teams want in front of him. Then Beane will make a trade up IF his guy is there. IF not, he will stay and take his player. IF someone does want to trade up to 12 and give up a first next year with their first this year Beane will take it.

23 minutes ago, sven233 said:

But it wasn't simply a financial transaction. More of a barter. The Jets were offering picks and a filet. And enough room left for dessert. The Bills were offering picks too, but accompanied with a house sirloin. . It's not surprising which offer the Colts  chose. 

18 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I think they will go all in for the QB. I can see his interview after the trade and pick is in "We felt really strongly about Josh Rosen and what he can bring to our team. It was not a tough decision to be able to give what the picks to move up and get him. He is a big upgrade for our team and we felt this was the best move for the Buffalo Bills."

Ballard cannot say, "We gave the Bills a chance to match and they declined." Can't "out" your fellow GMs like that; you talk about the deal you made, not the one you could have made. Also, in the same interview, Ballard did say they would listen to offers and are willing to move from 6....

#6 is a sick draft spot.  You either get Barkley, Chubb or get to auction off the 4th QB.  I have no doubt we COULD have beat the Jets offer, but factoring #6 in you likely have to pay #1 pick value to go from 12 to 3.

Some quotes from Beane today on the Jets trade:

"Nothing in this league really surprises me," Beane said. "It really doesn't. There's so many moving parts in this league. That was a deal the Jets thought was good for them and the Colts did. That's what you want. It sounds like both teams are happy.

"I can't worry about what the Jets or any other team (does). I'm just focused on the Bills. We're very happy with 12. ... Who knows what will happen. But right now, what we're focused on is 12."

"I'm sure the Jets are happy there," Beane said. "Again, we're just focused on 12. I don't know the motivation for their move. You would have to ask them. Our focus is on 12 right now, and all the other picks we have, we're excited about what we're going to be able to get done."

On possibly trading the 2019 1st:  "If it makes us a lot better, and if it's a player that would be worthy of that, yes,"

There is a lot of picking apart everything Beane is saying today and in the days and weeks leading up to the draft.  This is no different.  To me, these quotes prove that he was well aware of what was going on with the Jets and Colts.  He definitely wasn't blindsided and he almost makes it sound like he was fine just letting that happen.

The last sentence here was the one I focused on the most where he said he was excited about our picks and what we are going to be able to get done.  Sure, this can be read as they will be fine just drafting guys and being happy with the holes they fill.  But I, again, probably reading deeper than I should, believe they know there are deals out there to be had if they want them.  It sounds to me like they have a plan and are excited to execute that plan (probably to move up somewhere), when the time is right.  I mean, at 12, you really don't know what you can get done just sitting there really.....  But if there is a deal, or deals, on the table that can be executed, then they can be "excited about what we're GOING to be able to get done."

Also, admitting he would trade the 2019 1st means they have talked to teams that have asked for it in my opinion.  Maybe he is laying the groundwork here, preparing d=fans that it will be part of the deal.

Again, reading into everything a lot.  We all are.  It's that time of year.  But with everything he is saying, to me, he wasn't surprised by the Jets trade because he knows that they can get done themselves.  Hoping this is the case anyway.

Edited by sven233

2 hours ago, sven233 said:

Thats is just a ridiculous thing to say.  For starters, the top 5 QB's are all closely graded and each team is going to see them differently.  For all you know, they have Allen or Lamar higher than some of those guys, we do not know their QB ranking board.  

Secondly, its entirely possible they only see one or two of those guys as must get guys who very much may not even be obtainable in the first place because it may be the guys at the top of the draft are locked in on.  

Third, playing further off number 2 above...its takes TWO WILLING PARTIES to make a trade.  Its complete nonsense to assume that because a trade didn't happen one side failed.  And some people like to counter that by saying "everything is for sale"...which is in theory true, but just because you can trade 4 first round picks to get a guy does NOT mean you should just to appease the fan base.  The player MUST be worth it and the FO is the one who MUST feel the player is worth it.  

This idea that we only succeed if we give away a ton of picks and choose a QB in the top 3 slots is just absurd considering NONE of these players have ever played a down of football in the NFL.  Getting one of the top 5 QBs at 12 does not mean we somehow lose at QB.  Just because some fans only see a couple QB's as legit doesnt make it so.  I would be stoked if we got Lamar, Baker, or Allen at 12 and then loaded this team up with the other picks.

• Like (+1) 3