Who would you like to see at QB on opening day: McCarron, Peterman, or Rookie QB?

Logic

Who would you like to start at QB in 2018? McCarron, Peterman, or Rookie QB?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see start for the Bills at QB in 2018?

• Nathan Peterman
    • AJ McCarron
    • Rookie QB

In all due respect to the OP, this poll is a bit premature. I would suggest adding this after the Draft, since we don't know who the Drafted QB will be....so for example, if for some reason the Bills waited until the 3rd round to Draft a guy like Mike White or Kyle Lauletta, I have a feeling the poll would turn out quite differently than if the Bills trade up into the top 5 and get Rosen or Mayfield....just a thought.

And with that in mind, it nullifies the other two options because the Rookie QB is everything to the future of this organization at this point. If for example they were to wait, and keep all the Draft capital to Draft starters at LB / WR / DT / and say another DB, then I'd say AJ, because that means they have pieces to win again this year...but if they trade way up and basically come away with their franchise QB for the next 12 years, but didn't Draft a starting WR and LB due to loss of picks, then I'd say it doesn't matter whether it's Peterman or AJ, but I would hope it is NOT the QB for the future because he won't learn much other than how tough the NFL is, and even more so with a weaker team around you.

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

In all due respect to the OP, this poll is a bit premature. I would suggest adding this after the Draft, since we don't know who the Drafted QB will be....so for example, if for some reason the Bills waited until the 3rd round to Draft a guy like Mike White or Kyle Lauletta, I have a feeling the poll would turn out quite differently than if the Bills trade up into the top 5 and get Rosen or Mayfield....just a thought.

exactly what I was going to comment on   

What if The Bills don't draft a QB until the later rounds? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, frostbitmic said:

If they play the same what's the difference ?

IMO Darnold will be the bust QB in this draft.

Do you really need to ask that?!? Why were people so much quicker to give up on Jeff Tuel than they were Peyton Manning? The answer is pretty simple, they are different quality prospects!! That’s why 1 guy goes at 1 and 1 at 171. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do you really need to ask that?!? Why were people so much quicker to give up on Jeff Tuel than they were Peyton Manning? The answer is pretty simple, they are different quality prospects!! That’s why 1 guy goes at 1 and 1 at 171. 

C'mon man ... You're comparing one of the leagues top 5 QB's of all time vs Tuel ? ... Or are you saying that Darnold is that high quality guy after being a turnover artist in both high school and college.

Darnold is a bigger stronger Ryan Fitzpatrick :D

2 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

I definitely feel like Peterman got a bad rap, and yes he stunk it up in SD, but he did come back to have a solid quarter or so vs Indy.  IMO we haven't seen enough of him to already label him NOT the answer.  I still have faith in my fellow Panther.  However, I feel like the McCarron signing was perfect, and I expect him to beat out Peterman and the rookie to start day one.  BUT...

If the rookie, for arguments sake we'll call him Baker, goes lights out in camp, throws 5 or 6 touchdowns in the preseason, and has clearly shown that he is "the guy", how do you not start him?  I'm ALL for letting him sit for a year, hold that clipboard, and soak up some knowledge. That would be our IDEAL situation, but if he shreds in camp, all bets are off.  Throw him to the wolves and see what he's made of.

No he did not. He went 5-10 for 57 yards. He sucked that day too. He had like 4 good throws in the preseason and everyone anoints him because he has poise.

He has a weak arm and is a turnover machine. What is likeable about him as an NFL QB?

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I don't see any of these QB's beating out AJM for the starting job. Mayfield might be the only one that might be able to do it but I would still have him sit and learn for a year.

Yup...

1 hour ago, arcane said:

McCarron warming the seat for rookie to step in at some point in October/November. 

I'll take the potential extra losses this setup might give us for 2018, as long as that QB is there.

Do it right. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If it's Rosen, I'm starting him day 1.  Mayfield quite possibly the same.  Any other rookie QB would sit behind McCarron based on what I have seen from the others.  I'd cut Peterman and put him on the PS if not claimed by another team.

These two posts I don't understand. Please edumacate me. What if the following scenario plays out: Bills get their man and draft ________(Fill in the blank). He looks good in camp, but not good enough to beat out AJMac or Peterman , one of whom gets the start, and goes on a tear, lets say starts the season 6-2. DO you still bring in the starter who has had 8 weeks of 2nd string reps, just so you can say you are bringing in your 1st round draft pick???

Let's take it a step further and say your starter, AJ/Peterman gets you to the AFC Championship game and is top 10 in most NFL QB stats, Do you look to shop him to other teams after the season, so your "franchise" can start the next year? Why? Why get rid of a Top 10 QB for a younger kid who may just as well bust as be any good?

You are going to have the rookie contract for four years on the cheap. Is it a true competition those four years? Do start a Peterman over Rosenif he beats him out each preseason? Why or Why not? Again, All hypothetical and maybe not likely, but interesting none the less.

5 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

C'mon man ... You're comparing one of the leagues top 5 QB's of all time vs Tuel ? ... Or are you saying that Darnold is that high quality guy after being a turnover artist in both high school and college.

Darnold is a bigger stronger Ryan Fitzpatrick :D

I’m not saying anything about Darnold other than “he is a consensus top 5 prospect.” You will find a zillion people that have him there.

I voted for AJ simply because he is the least unknown of the unknown qb situation we have presently.  It would be ideal that we draft a qb and he becomes the clear starter from day one but they maynot happen

Edited by Skins Malone

I would probably want to see the rookie starting, if we do end up drafting one in the 1st round.  Him starting should mean that he beat out the other two, and that we have someone with some promise!

Edited by berg1029

To be honest, what I want and reality are different. I can't hype myself about another teams back up pretending to be a starting QB. Then you have a new OC and new system to go along with a backup QB. It wasn't the outcome I want but it's the one I am getting. I understand it so I will learn to live with it. It's unproven so I'm at wait and see and hope for the best. 

Then you have Peterman. Same situation, new system new OC. He has to be able to survive an entire game. I hope his introduction into the NFL was a wake up call and I hope he is out there right now as I speak training his mind and body. Again not to much to get hyped over and it's just wait and see. 

Then you have the ??? as a rookie QB. Nothing proven at the NFL level and no hype for me. You only hope they choose a guy that is a natural. Same situation new OC new system. Just wait and see situation for me. You risk plugging the guy in to early and he struggles then the fans jump ship on that hype train and Beane is blamed for choosing a bust. All the magic and mystery destroyed and the teams exposed once again. 

All I can do is hope. Hope the new OC and System can be productive with any of the above options. Hope that it all comes together in camp and preseason and the team isn't still trying to get together during the season. It probably a lot to ask so I am actually ready to embrace ugly.

What I am Hyped about is that I do have a HC and GM combo I can believe in. I don't feel like that's a wait and see situation for me. That is Playoff proven. They can do a lot with a little and still cleaning up messes they inherited. I'm all in when it comes to that. 

I can't vote because all of these options are unproven at the NFL level and it's all hyping myself to count on Miracles. I wanted Nick Folez because at the very least on a good team with a good offensive system he got the job done in the playoffs and the big show. That at least is proven to have worked. He wears an SB ring and he was a factor in getting it. The price was to steep and I'm over it. 

I'm at wait and see mode. I'm choosing to be patient because the drought was busted. If old time fans can wait 17 years for a playoff game I suppose I can wait until it's figured out. 

I'm just at wait and see mode. Show me something I can believe in. 

17 hours ago, VirginiaMike said:

I'd be surprised, but not sad if Peterman was able to beat out McCarron and start, but I can't picture it happening. 

i think that there is a similar skill set in that nate makes quick decisions and has a quick, sharp release with great ball placement.

i think because of this ,it will make a.j. that much more focused and better. i don't see how anyone can predict a step back this year when our passing production is going to double and help the run game. i also expect twice the sacks next year.

the guys on wgr right now are talking about our next yrs.' 1st will be high. i expect mid 20's or lower.

17 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

I as well.

I want to see McCarron crushing it so by week 10 and beyond we are on a playoff run. I would love to see McCarron be a top 5 QB in the NFL.

Will that happen? Most likely not but lets see what he has.

i'm expecting north of say...12th.  hopefully we get a good wr in the draft.....or 2

17 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

I definitely feel like Peterman got a bad rap, and yes he stunk it up in SD, but he did come back to have a solid quarter or so vs Indy.  IMO we haven't seen enough of him to already label him NOT the answer.  I still have faith in my fellow Panther.  However, I feel like the McCarron signing was perfect, and I expect him to beat out Peterman and the rookie to start day one.  BUT...

If the rookie, for arguments sake we'll call him Baker, goes lights out in camp, throws 5 or 6 touchdowns in the preseason, and has clearly shown that he is "the guy", how do you not start him?  I'm ALL for letting him sit for a year, hold that clipboard, and soak up some knowledge. That would be our IDEAL situation, but if he shreds in camp, all bets are off.  Throw him to the wolves and see what he's made of.

that would be an awesome scenario, but i would still let him sit a year.

9 hours ago, kdiggz said:

You want to hear that the rookie is absolutely taking over and looking amazing in camp like what Russel Wilson did when he got to Seattle. If you want AJ McCarron starting then you want a .500 record

Brace yourself:  we are going to be hearing how great AJ is for a while until it is clear he is not going to be the starting QB of this team.

Bills fans absolutely thrive on placing false hope in middling quarterbacks!!!!

10 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Brace yourself:  we are going to be hearing how great AJ is for a while until it is clear he is not going to be the starting QB of this team.

Bills fans absolutely thrive on placing false hope in middling quarterbacks!!!!

Thanks Mr Disingenuous   ;)  

No one knows how good or bad AJ will be.  I have opined that he can do just as well or better than TT.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan