Bills had deal in place with Colts to trade to 3 before Jets swooped in, per WGR

11 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

My recollection is that before the draft. Rodgers was expected to go very high. And I think I remember cameras on him watching him squirm as he "fell" down the board.

Do I have that wrong? It could be.

No, it's not wrong. But in April '04 Rodgers hadn't even played the 2004 season yet. A lot can change in the course of a College football season. During the 04 draft the talk was that 05 was going to be a down year for QBs

Edited by Boatdrinks

For the last time. The Colts did not want to trade out of the top 10.

Buffalo does not have a top 10 pick.

Further discussion of this shows an inability to live in reality.

"We still wanted to stay in that top position in that top 10 where we could still get a premium player," Ballard said in an interview with the Colts' website. "We feel at (No.) 6, we’ll still be able to acquire a premium player. Plus, being able to pick up the two 2s this year and the 2 next year, that gives up four picks in the top 50 picks of the draft and then three next year — one in the first and two in the second.

"It gives us a chance to really replenish our young talent and start building a core of young talent like we need to do." - Chris Ballard, GM of the Colts

Go figure the Colts wanted a top 10 pick, and a bunch of seconds to build around Luck.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/03/17/colts-trade-no-3-overall-pick-jets-no-6-3-second-rounders/434855002/

Edited by RocCityRoller

8 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

It is amazing to me how BLIND some of you want to be to what is happening here.  The COLTS took the Jets offer, not because Buffalo could pay MORE but because the Colts only had to move to 6.  There are some players way up there that INDY really likes that won't be there at 12.  The Colts get the extra picks in a deep draft, and still get at top 3 NON QB.  They didn't WANT the Bills package!  .....and the other thing that is funny is that everyone just assumes that the 2nd pick can be had if the Bills just meet the asking price.....there is no asking price to be met.....the Jets certainly called about it.  If the Giants were in this for a top 3 NON QB, they would have traded out already....They are taking the QB.  ....can't stress this enough....hardest thing to find is a high end, franchise type QB.  Your odds of getting one are much higher at the top end of a draft.  If you think you can get one, you get him.  The Giants have the 2nd pick in a year where there are some guys who many think could be that kind of guy.  If you are the Giants, you do not know where you will draft next year, and surely your scouting department has told you that the 2019 QB crop is garbage...even if ONE guy emerges...will you be in position to get him?  The most value the Giants can get from that pick is to use it this year while they are in position to get their next QB.  They even have the unusual luxury of drafting so high but still having a vet QB in place so the new guy can sit if they are so inclinded.  The Bills will either sit at 12 or trade up to 9 or so for Josh Allen, or gamble on waiting for Mason Rudolph...but that is a huge risk because Arizona, Pittsburg, and the LA Chargers are lurking...the Chargers are especially dangerous to move up on someone.  

So let me get this right. You, in your infinite and far reaching wisdom think that 5 or 6 of the top 12 picks will all be QBs??????

When does that ever happen

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Turned out to be a great situation for him in the end says Captain Obvious. 

Perhaps the point is that because the Bills traded the first round pick in 2005 to pick up the third best QB prospect in 2004 (JP Losman), they missed out on Aaron Rogers in 2005.

7 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

So let me get this right. You, in your infinite and far reaching wisdom think that 5 or 6 of the top 12 picks will all be QBs??????

THE BILLS DID NOT HAVE WHAT THE COLTS WANTED.

FIGURE IT OUT, THEY DID NOT WANT OUT OF THE TOP 10.

YOU CAN'T TRADE WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE.

In some ways this is worse than the BBMB in it's tunnel vision and group think.

The Bills are not getting Darnold or Rosen. What is the next best move forward?

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

It is amazing to me how BLIND some of you want to be to what is happening here.  The COLTS took the Jets offer, not because Buffalo could pay MORE but because the Colts only had to move to 6.  There are some players way up there that INDY really likes that won't be there at 12.  The Colts get the extra picks in a deep draft, and still get at top 3 NON QB.  They didn't WANT the Bills package!  .....and the other thing that is funny is that everyone just assumes that the 2nd pick can be had if the Bills just meet the asking price.....there is no asking price to be met.....the Jets certainly called about it.  If the Giants were in this for a top 3 NON QB, they would have traded out already....They are taking the QB.  ....can't stress this enough....hardest thing to find is a high end, franchise type QB.  Your odds of getting one are much higher at the top end of a draft.  If you think you can get one, you get him.  The Giants have the 2nd pick in a year where there are some guys who many think could be that kind of guy.  If you are the Giants, you do not know where you will draft next year, and surely your scouting department has told you that the 2019 QB crop is garbage...even if ONE guy emerges...will you be in position to get him?  The most value the Giants can get from that pick is to use it this year while they are in position to get their next QB.  They even have the unusual luxury of drafting so high but still having a vet QB in place so the new guy can sit if they are so inclinded.  The Bills will either sit at 12 or trade up to 9 or so for Josh Allen, or gamble on waiting for Mason Rudolph...but that is a huge risk because Arizona, Pittsburg, and the LA Chargers are lurking...the Chargers are especially dangerous to move up on someone.  

Even though you’re a Chiefs fan, this is 1,000% correct.

The Giants are taking a QB at #2.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

No.  I think the first 3 will all be QB...then the high end NON QB will go....about pick 9 or so, that's where the action is because those teams don't need QB and they will consider more picks in this deep draft more beneficial than drafting someone at 9, 10, 11, etc....So the Bills, Cards....and maybe Chargers will be looking at what's left in the QB market trying to decide if they need to get in front of each other....so for example...Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield go 1-2-3....(in my estmation)  ...Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph and Jackson still on the board...You can't tell me the Bills are cool with McCaron, and the Cards are set with Bradford and Glennon....if ONE of the Bills or Cards...or Chargers...maybe even Pittsburg....takes a liking to one of them..9, 10, 11, all ripe for the picking.  I do think the Bills go to 9 to fend off the cards for ALLEN...and the Chargers and Cards manuever for Rudolph...around pick 14,15.  So...5 in top 15.

9 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

My recollection is that before the draft. Rodgers was expected to go very high. And I think I remember cameras on him watching him squirm as he "fell" down the board.

Rodgers was highly rated but not as high as he could have been ...classic case of overcoaching tedford had Rodgers change his throwing motion..etc which affected his accuracy ..when he got to GB mcarthy just had him go back to the way he threw naturally in highschool 

• Like (+1) 1

I must be the only one that doesn't care about this.  

I'd rather have the 6 draft picks on the cheap for the next 4 years...And grab a qb with 22 or in the 2nd.  I've watched enough tape to know that the difference between these guys is negligible. 

4 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Mmmkay but that has nothing to do with my point.

There is no way 5 or 6 QBs are drafted in the first 12 picks.

There is a high probability that at least 5 come off the board.

Cleveland

NYG

NYJ

Den

Then someone will trade down (Buffalo) because they see them flying off the board.  That's 5 right there.  I'm not saying they should come off the board but teams are desperate for QBs.  When you factor in the demand for QBs and the supply for a great one they are going to go a lot earlier than they should. 

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Nate Geary doesn't have sources. He's a little twerp.

your WGR "insiders" everybody

C6mYtKzVoAADGxL.jpg

Sal is at the stadium every day and even he doesn't know any more than we do.  The national guys are the ones that get the scoops and break the news

Edited by kdiggz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Geary hasn’t hit puberty yet so I don’t believe this.

IMO, if Mayfield somehow gets past Denver at 5, Buffalo trades with Indy to take him at 6.

My prediction right now with the QB’s...

1. Darnold

2. Rosen 

3. Allen( thank God because he sucks and isn’t a threat to us in the AFC East)

6. Mayfield- Bills trade with Indy

I’ve changed my mind again, I want Mayfield in a Bills uniform more than anybody.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

100% correct. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, McBean said:

Geary hasn’t hit puberty yet so I don’t believe this.

IMO, if Mayfield somehow gets past Denver at 5, Buffalo trades with Indy to take him at 6.

My prediction right now with the QB’s...

1. Darnold

2. Rosen 

3. Allen( thank God because he sucks and isn’t a threat to us in the AFC East)

6. Mayfield- Bills trade with Indy

I’ve changed my mind again, I want Mayfield in a Bills uniform more than anybody.

You won't get a chance.

Advanced metrics show that Baker Mayfield is far ahead - like in a different leagues - than any other prospect in the NFL draft today. This information has been widely disseminated to the NFL GMs. All of the T-shirt workouts and scrimmage bull (Senior Bowl) have been a sham.

So what did the Browns do? They traded for a 6'1" QB. It was widely thought of as a waste of capital at the time. You have to know, when everyone talks about what a mistake you've made that often there is a plan behind what appears idiocy. A 6'1" wirey, mobile QB. And then they put some pieces into place around that QB, like a 100 catch WR that can move the chains and a capable running back.

They'll draft Mayfield because it will appease their fan base. The new QB will look in size amazingly like Tyrod Taylor and what's more, can sit behind him (LOL) for a year if need be. But more than that, it will drive the price of the Giants #2 pick into the stratosphere. It veritably puts the Buffalo Bills into a no-win situation. They will have to give up the farm to get Sam-Rosen or the Mafia will string them up.

And in the end, what does this do? It assures the Browns get the best overall player in the draft, at #4 - a player that will transform them like Ezekiel Elliot did, like LaDanian Tomlinson did. Saquon Barkley won't be asked to carry the offense with Hyde, Njoko, Gordon and Landry he could.

14 of the last 16 years the AFC has been represented by one of 3 QBs. Baker Mayfield is the next generation and the Browns have played this to a tee. Just like Russell Wilson, like Jared Goff, Mayfield will be supported by a great infrastructure. All along the Browns have been playing chess, while the rest of the league has been playing checkers. 

And the Bills will have been forced probably to take a disaster in Josh Rosen - it will create a nightmare scenario. A statuesque QB, prone to injury, behind a bad offensive line and a player prone to trying to be a hero. 

Just a considered opinion. 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, aristocrat said:

got rid of Mo with a dead cap of 9 mil for a guy who is a very good d end and now are offering big money to suh to come in. smart decision is to keep suh. also teddy b is a terrible signing as the guy has show about as much as their young qbs.  trumaine johnson is a great signing for that secondary and that group can be nice.  They've ignored the o line and could have made the signing of crowell better...but who would be better carlos hyde or teddy b? hyde. Why not sign some o line?  The jets seem to be winging it.  They have no plan they just kind of act spontaneously

Wilkerson was terrible this year and was suspended multiple times for lack of effort (after his big payday).

11 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Yes, and a key reason he fell because a myth had sprrwd that Jon Tedford's qbs were successful in college because of his system, which made them look better than they actually were. Classic example of looking at the school or the system first over the actual player.

• Like (+1) 1