3-21: AJ McCarron on WGR

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

We'll see. It's a pretty lucrative living as a abckup QB in the NFL. 

Oh no doubt about that. I bet there are few jobs out there better than a career backup QB....loads of $$ (compared to average working stiffs), Fans typically fawn over you when the team is doing bad, no pressure to win, etc.  BUT, I also imagine that for a guy who grew up  poor with nothing but being the best quarterback on his mind, A guy who won championships on every team he has ever played on ('cept Cincy), and who TRULY BELIEVES he is the best QB on the field at any given time, a guy like that might have too much pride to spend a career holding a clip board for some young whipper snapper.

I don't know how NFL retirement works, but I imagine he'll be ok after this contract...it doesn't take much to live comfortably in 'Bama...and he will likely never have to buy a drink or meal as long as he lives around here :)

6 hours ago, Moonzoo said:

OK, I realize this sounds like football = soap opera for men.

But I have bought into the Zay and AJ story lines, and will be deeply interested in seeing them both wildly succeed.

Don't get crazay on us now. 

7 hours ago, Dalton said:

The best case scenario:

1.  Bills draft a QB who has the potential to be the franchise QB.

2.  He sits out 2018 and develops

3.  AJ plays and plays lights out.

4.  Bills trade AJ for high draft pick to QB needy team in 2019

Best. we scenario: Bills win the Super Bowl.

11 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

And you saw this where his 2-2 record with Very Tyrod like games?

In four games he completed 86 out of 133 passes for a 64.7 completion percentage. He threw for 920 yards in those games. He threw six touchdowns and two interceptions. His quarterback reading was 93.6. So I ask you: 

In what universe does Taylor ever put up those numbers? This may not be a lot of data. But what is there is impressive. 

Forget trading up.  I say use the picks to improve the team.  There is buzz that this draft has around 70 starting quality players, and the Bills have a shot at 5 of them.  Use those to address holes (MLB, DL, OL, WR) and take a QB in the 3rd round to compete with AJM and NP. 

12 hours ago, ******* said:

Poor speaker in my opinion after listening to him

As long as he can communicate in the huddle WHO CARES that's what counts !!

I am so stoked can't wait to see him on the field this year !!

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hurricane Marv said:

Was half expecting a trainwreck from that one poster's comment but he's really not a bad speaker at all, he's just Southern.  He actually seems relatively bright and genuine.

He’s from Mobile. Some people are ignorant enough to believe that a southern accent equates to being stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Mojo44 said:

In four games he completed 86 out of 133 passes for a 64.7 completion percentage. He threw for 920 yards in those games. He threw six touchdowns and two interceptions. His quarterback reading was 93.6. So I ask you: 

In what universe does Taylor ever put up those numbers? This may not be a lot of data. But what is there is impressive. 

Easy so 4 games his AVG was 

21 comp 33 attampts 230 yards 1.5 TDs 0.5INT

VERY VERY Tyrod Taylor Stats. 

None of that is impressive is it very definition of AVG. 

and I would argue TT is better because more run yards and less INT

13 hours ago, Doc said:

Forget trading up.  I say use the picks to improve the team.  There is buzz that this draft has around 70 starting quality players, and the Bills have a shot at 5 of them.  Use those to address holes (MLB, DL, OL, WR) and take a QB in the 3rd round to compete with AJM and NP. 

And continue to Fail. ADDRESS THE QB position finally 

13 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

McCarron was 36 - 4 with Alabama. 

And what was Tim Tebow in FL?

College Means NADA at this point that record got him drafted in the 5th round 

Where McCarrron was drafted means nothing. Completely irrelevant as he is been in the league for 4 yrs. After being far removed from college, has any employer asked you about your GPA?

Comparing McCarron's and TT's stats are meaningless. There is not enough data on McCarron.

Not to mention that they are completely different players.

Edited by Sky Diver

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Easy so 4 games his AVG was 

21 comp 33 attampts 230 yards 1.5 TDs 0.5INT

VERY VERY Tyrod Taylor Stats. 

None of that is impressive is it very definition of AVG. 

and I would argue TT is better because more run yards and less INT

And what was Tim Tebow in FL?

College Means NADA at this point that record got him drafted in the 5th round 

There's this thing called context.

His offensive coordinator was given basically a rookie, in the middle of a playoff push. On top of this, that very QB was going to be pushed into a series of games where he was going to play the Steelers twice and the Denver Broncos. So looking at his numbers that year, you might want to consider them within that context. That he did that well is amazing, given that he had no experience to that point. And overall any comparison to TT is really just being stupid. 

Look at his numbers against the starting QB. A fall-off? Yes. But then again, that year Andy Dalton was performing at a level where he was arguably the 5th best QB. 

What college means is that he was able to face a difficult situation and continue to lead his team. When the chips were down in the 4th QTR in a playoff game against a very good defense, he got it together and put 16 points on the board. 

I think fans in WNY are going to be pleased with what they get in McCarron. He isn't going to panic, he's going to lead, and most especially he's cut from the same DNA that you'll find at every position in McDermott's locker room. He's going to fit in perfectly. Of all the free agent options - unless we were going to somehow pry Foles away - he was the perfect choice.

3 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

There's this thing called context.

His offensive coordinator was given basically a rookie, in the middle of a playoff push. On top of this, that very QB was going to be pushed into a series of games where he was going to play the Steelers twice and the Denver Broncos. So looking at his numbers that year, you might want to consider them within that context. That he did that well is amazing, given that he had no experience to that point. And overall any comparison to TT is really just being stupid. 

Look at his numbers against the starting QB. A fall-off? Yes. But then again, that year Andy Dalton was performing at a level where he was arguably the 5th best QB. 

What college means is that he was able to face a difficult situation and continue to lead his team. When the chips were down in the 4th QTR in a playoff game against a very good defense, he got it together and put 16 points on the board. 

I think fans in WNY are going to be pleased with what they get in McCarron. He isn't going to panic, he's going to lead, and most especially he's cut from the same DNA that you'll find at every position in McDermott's locker room. He's going to fit in perfectly. Of all the free agent options - unless we were going to somehow pry Foles away - he was the perfect choice.

All the same can be said about Taylor.

HE IS A BACKUP QB. And that is what he was signed for. 

He is Taylor on a correct contract. And that is the proper Context 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

All the same can be said about Taylor.

HE IS A BACKUP QB. And that is what he was signed for. 

He is Taylor on a correct contract. 

Really? I wasn't aware that Tyrod had won any college championships, or beat regularly the best college competition like t&itches, or that he had ever completed 65% of his passes at any level, or won 90% of his college games. What I saw was a player that was given a full playbook and only ever wanted to use a little bit of it and used less of it as the years past, and never took any mentoring or advice. He couldn't find the middle of the field if he was given a flashlight, a map and 40 days.

Look, I don't want to be snarky here. On some level, the maturity that Tyrod showed here was phenomenal and mirrored McCarron's. Tyrod led the team by leaving the pocket and we'll find here that McCarron will lead it from the pocket. This offseason, we got the closest thing to Joe Montana that we'd get. 

We'll see what he produces. I think right now, he's better than almost all the prospects coming out of college as a total package and I think he wins the starting role at SJF and possibly, never gives it up.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Really? I wasn't aware that Tyrod had won any college championships, or beat regularly the best college competition like t&itches, or that he had ever completed 65% of his passes at any level, or won 90% of his college games. What I saw was a player that was given a full playbook and only ever wanted to use a little bit of it and used less of it as the years past, and never took any mentoring or advice. He couldn't find the middle of the field if he was given a flashlight, a map and 40 days.

Look, I don't want to be snarky here. On some level, the maturity that Tyrod showed here was phenomenal and mirrored McCarron's. Tyrod led the team by leaving the pocket and we'll find here that McCarron will lead it from the pocket. This offseason, we got the closest thing to Joe Montana that we'd get. 

We'll see what he produces. I think right now, he's better than almost all the prospects coming out of college as a total package and I think he wins the starting role at SJF and possibly, never gives it up.

COLLEGE MEANS NOTHING

McCarron was a 5th round pick 

could not beat out EVER Andy Dalton 

in the NFL (seeing that is the league these guys are in) Tyrod and AJ are very very similar QBs

Backups and Spot Starters. AJ is just paid correctly for that. 

We have a BU on the roster and Bridge (same as TT was) just paid 10M cheaper as he should be. The long term starter comes in the draft. 

I mean yeah AJ McCarron is so so good That THERE WAS NO market for him in UFA 

Edited by MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

COLLEGE MEANS NOTHING

in the NFL (seeing that is the league these guys are in) Tyrod and AJ are very very similar QBs

We have a BU on the roster and Bridge (same as TT was) just paid 10M cheaper as he should be. The long term starter comes in the draft. 

Tyrod and McCarron are similar players? They are complete opposites,

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Tyrod and McCarron are similar players? They are complete opposites,

Did i say similar players????  I said SAME stats. 

If you read the entire conversation you would get that

Edited by MAJBobby

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

COLLEGE MEANS NOTHING

I mean yeah AJ McCarron is so so good That THERE WAS NO market for him in UFA 

As I say elsewhere ...

A backup won the Super Bowl.
A backup led Minnesota to the NFC Championship game and was a Pro Bowler.

A backup won 7 straight games.
A backup became the greatest QB of all time.
A guy that wasn't even good enough to be a backup led the greatest show on turf.

College doesn't mean everything. It also doesn't mean NOTHING. It shows character, and that has value. It shows that you can be accurate with the ball. It shows you can lead. 

And regarding what other teams do? Tell me all the teams lining up to get Kurt Warner on their team. I never go by what the rest of the NFL does. We'll see what McCarron delivers.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

As I say elsewhere ...

A backup won the Super Bowl.
A backup led Minnesota to the NFC Championship game and was a Pro Bowler.

A backup won 7 straight games.
A backup became the greatest QB of all time.
A guy that wasn't even good enough to be a backup led the greatest show on turf.

College doesn't mean everything. It also doesn't mean NOTHING. It shows character, and that has value. It shows that you can be accurate with the ball. It shows you can lead. 

And regarding what other teams do? Tell me all the teams lining up to get Kurt Warner on their team. I never go by what the rest of the NFL does. We'll see what McCarron delivers.

I think there is ample reason to be optimistic about McCarron. I don't get the negativity.

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I think there is ample reason to be optimistic about McCarron. I don't get the negativity.

Some people like to have something to complain about. I don't get the negativity either. 

Likely to be the same people that will complain bitterly when the front office doesn't do exactly what they think should happen, or quibble over every single draft pick, or tell us they can do this whole thing better. 

What ev. 

6 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Negativity???  So saying what he is signed for and what he has been and not grasping at some long shot hope is being Negative?

it was an amazing signing for the Bills to get a BU/Bridge for a 3M cap hit. That is exactly what I wanted from the FO and what i have been talking about now for 2 years. That they can get TT play at a much smaller cap hit. 

Edited by MAJBobby

50 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Where McCarrron was drafted means nothing. Completely irrelevant as he is been in the league for 4 yrs. After being far removed from college, has any employer asked you about your GPA?

Comparing McCarron's and TT's stats are meaningless. There is not enough data on McCarron.

Not to mention that they are completely different players.

Most front offices would know his GPA was most likely inflated because he went to Alabama.  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

If they can trade up to #2 and have a pick still left in each round, I'd do it.  Anything more and forget it.  You don't mortgage the farm for a player who possibly might be good: you do it for a guy you know will be good.

Just now, Doc said:

If they can trade up to #2 and have a pick still left in each round, I'd do it.  Anything more and forget it.  You don't mortgage the farm for a player who possibly might be good: you do it for a guy you know will be good.

So lets say it costs an extra second this year. That would be a deal breaker???

or the extra Third???

those picks were acquired to have the ammo to move up where they not? So if they are used to move up whats the issue. 

I would rather give futures (because next year we have 100M in cap space) personally but an extra second or third this year is NOT going to make me pass on the chance to finally not have to worry about the most important position for 15 years 

I really, really like AJ’s approach and attitude. I am keeping an open mind. I would love if he became a quality starter. I just can’t realistically see the odds being good on this happening. If any team saw this in him, he would have gotten a much bigger contract early in FA. Then again, for all of TT’s limitations he was a decent bridge guy. And he was a similar FA acquisition. But the way Beane slow played the thing, I don’t think he was too enamored with AJ’s potential. Nothing to do but wait and see. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I really, really like AJ’s approach and attitude. I am keeping an open mind. I would love if he became a quality starter. I just can’t realistically see the odds being good on this happening. If any team saw this in him, he would have gotten a much bigger contract early in FA. Then again, for all of TT’s limitations he was a decent bridge guy. And he was a similar FA acquisition. But the way Beane slow played the thing, I don’t think he was too enamored with his potential. Nothing to do but wait and see. 

This^^^^ I have become pessimistic about the draft trade up otions. I think the Jets outmaneuvered Beane. May have to play ourselves into a franchise guy.:rolleyes:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, stony said:

Most front offices would know his GPA was most likely inflated because he went to Alabama.  :ph34r:

25% of students at Alabama have an ACT score of 32 or greater, and 40% have an ACT score of 30 or greater. Believe it or not, Alabama has about the same percentage of high end students as elite public universities. Don't understimate Alabama academics.

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I really, really like AJ’s approach and attitude. I am keeping an open mind. I would love if he became a quality starter. I just can’t realistically see the odds being good on this happening. If any team saw this in him, he would have gotten a much bigger contract early in FA. Then again, for all of TT’s limitations he was a decent bridge guy. And he was a similar FA acquisition. But the way Beane slow played the thing, I don’t think he was too enamored with AJ’s potential. Nothing to do but wait and see. 

He wants to start. Buffalo gives him that opportunity and other teams didn't.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

So lets say it costs an extra second this year. That would be a deal breaker???

or the extra Third???

those picks were acquired to have the ammo to move up where they not? So if they are used to move up whats the issue. 

I would rather give futures (because next year we have 100M in cap space) personally but an extra second or third this year is NOT going to make me pass on the chance to finally not have to worry about the most important position for 15 years 

OK, so how much is too much in your opinion?  And what if Rosen busts?  You have nothing to show for the 2017 draft and you've set yourself back years.