3-16: Brandon Beane Presser at 10 AM ET - Big Free Agent Spending Is Done

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to 3-16: Brandon Beane Presser at 10 AM ET - Big Free Agent Spending Is Done

BRANDON BEANE: "LOOKING FOR GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYERS" (18:27)
Bills General Manager Brandon Beane addressed the media Friday topics include; free agency, the quarterback position, and the upcoming draft.

QUICK HITS - BEANE: BIG FREE AGENT SPENDING IS DONE

031618-beane.jpg

Bills GM Brandon Beane covered the week that was in terms of player acquisition, trades and the upcoming draft now that the team's drafts assets are improved.

With only 65 under contract. And expectation that some of the picks will be needed to move up higher for the QB. 

Expect a pretty big UDFA class and some vet min contracts. Gotta get 25 more players to get to 90

they also get some cap relief come June 1 when Wood officially retires. 

Edited by MAJBobby

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

With only 65 under contract. And expectation that some of the picks will be needed to move up higher for the QB. 

Expect a pretty big UDFA class and some vet min contracts. Gotta get 25 more players to get to 90

they also get some cap relief come June 1 when Wood officially retires. 

65 under contract and not all of them will even make the roster. Getting to 90 is just numbers - we're just gonna sign people with upside at vet mins and rookie FAs. I'm much more concerned with the fact that we still don't have legit candidates for starters at MLB, SLB, CB3 and WR3 (not counting QB in this because you COULD argue we can start McCarron, though I'm not making that argument). Doubtful we can pick up more than 3 solid starters in a single class. I'm hoping we re-sign Gaines and Johnson. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Why would Giants trade out of #2 right now, not knowing what Cleveland will do at #1.

If Cleveland takes QB, Giants stay put and draft Barkley, so we're on the phone with Colts.

If Cleveland takes Barkley, Giants look to move, and we're on the phone with them.

If Cleveland takes Barkley, and Giants surprise everyone and takes a QB, then we're on the phone with the Colts.

That wont be determined until about 8:15pm on April 26th.

Seeing how the Colts need a DE wouldn't be surprised to see Beane offer up Hughes in addition to picks to move up to # 3.

2 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Seeing how the Colts need a DE wouldn't be surprised to see Beane offer up Hughes in addition to picks to move up to # 3.

Could. But would be weird sending him back to the team he couldnt develop on. Running basically the same D he failed in. Still an interesting idea though.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Could. But would be interesting sending him back to the team he couldnt develop on. Running basically the same D he failed in. Still an interesting idea though.

Colts looks like they are switching back to a 4-3 this year.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Matt-Eberflus-Discusses-Colts’-Transition-To-4-3-Base-Defense/84bf9df7-ada0-49c2-88d1-f26f60c10cd8

2 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

But would the Colts take a guy they drafted and let go back or has the bridge sailed for them?  They'd probably ask for Shaq instead.

8 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:
Benjamin Allbright Retweeted
BRGVH5Zg_bigger.jpgNick Wojton @Nick_Wojton 4h4 hours ago
Post-presser Brandon Beane confirms he's met with QB prospects Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield & Josh Allen, specifically, at either the combine or Senior Bowl. #Bills
image.png.12da1453ff50891b8372acbcfeb34851.png

Does the Magic Beane also sell bridges?

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think if they really want a pass rusher, they'll stay at #3 and take Chubb.

They could but Hughes's contract is manageable. They get a proven pass rusher and a number of additional picks to help fill other positions as well. Seems like a Win Win for both teams.  

3 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

They could but Hughes's contract is manageable. They get a proven pass rusher and a number of additional picks to help fill other positions as well. Seems like a Win Win for both teams.  

I'm 50/50 on what I think make sense.  On one hand, Chubb is the best pass rusher and there really a close second.  Indy just can't get to the QB since the Freeney/Mathis days.

On the other hand, the Colts are filled with holes.  They could probably get a decent pass rushing prospect like Marcus Davenport at #12 and like you said...additional picks on top of that.

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Dawkins?   At this point it would be Connor McDermott, but I can't imagine that they won't add another OT in the draft. 

Yeah, brain not working today.   I guess my point is we dont have a swing tackle right now.  I don't have much faith in Connor McDermott.  Agree draft one.....

Edited by mattynh

Nobody is picking up Beane's comment that he told Terry & Kim that cleaning the roster will take two years, meaning that 2019 will be the year where the roster will be finally shaped to their needs.  That also means they will have their QB of the future fully installed and ready to go.  And that means the QB is coming in the 2018 draft.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe without a doubt that the Bills already have their QB list ready to go. However, I believe that Beane is being 100% honest when he says that he still does not know what the team will do.

Let's take this hypothetical... For the sake of argument let's say that the Bills have Darold and Rosen ranked 1 and 2, then a bit of a gap between QBs 3 and 4 (say, Mayfield and Allen). Let's also say that they have a mid-first round grade on Jackson and a borderline first/second round grade on Rudolph.

1. Option one: Prior to the draft... Trade whatever is necessary to move into the top 3 to draft one of those top 2 ranked QBs in this draft class. This will take both first round picks PLUS one or more additional high picks this year and/or 2019.

2. Option two: On draft day... Be patient and see what happens with the first few picks. If the top 2 QBs are gone by pick 3, then make a trade (which probably involves both first round picks) to move up to get the 3rd or 4th QB.

3. Option three:On draft day... Be patient and let the draft come to you. If the 3rd or 4th QB is still on the board after the Jets pick, then to be sure that no other team swipes them before 12, trade up slightly with, say, Tampa Bay or San Francisco. This likely will not cost more than a 2nd round or possibly just the #65 pick acquired for Tyrod.

4. Option four: Stay put at 12 and draft the top-rated QB on the board, whether one of the top 4 QBs slips or the 5th rated QB (in our hypothetical, Jackson)

5. Option five: Stay put at 12 and draft the BPA -- even if it is not a QB. After all, the team has other needs to address -- and if the top 4 QBs are gone by 11, that means a chance to get a top 8 non-QB player. If they do not take a QB, reevaluate at 21 to see what QB options there are. 

SO plenty of scenarios to consider -- and trading as we know is dependent upon finding a willing partner. The way Beane wheels and deals I would not rule out him taking BPA (non-QB) at 12 -- and then maybe trading up (or down) at 21 to acquire a QB. If we take him at his word, the Bills will NOT be reaching for a QB.

I can't wait to see what happens!

• Like (+1) 1

Following several moves in free agency, Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane met with the media for nearly 20 minutes, and after the fact Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn of NYUpstate.com discuss how Beane is playing the game of QB draft poker, why you shouldn't buy into the rumored interest out there in one specific QB, and the guys also discuss the A.J. McCarron and Star Lotulelei signings.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Agreed they don't.

But it won't matter if they don't hit on a QB in the draft.They'll be out of here in two years. Maybe less.

Maybe and maybe not. Strikes me some things would have to come true - possibly a series of things all coming true.

Your presumption is that a backup QB can't do it. Obviously since 2 backup QBs made the playoffs, that's absurd. And the rest of the NFL thinks it's absurd, since a lot of backups will be starting next September. You are presuming that there will be someone else that hits on drafting a QB - I hardly think that's a slam dunk. There are QBs in this draft, but I highly doubt there is more than 1 franchise guy. And of course, for the to be out of here in less than two years, they Bills ownership will have to dismiss McD/B that brought them to the playoffs one year after making the playoffs for the first time in 17 years.

The gloom and doom crap about them out in one year is pretty much hyperbole. Won't happen. 

Because the flip side of not moving up to get a QB is that they'll have 6 of the best 65 prospects in football to join White and Dawkins. And if four of those guys start and two are as stunning a success as 2017 draft picks, then only an idiot fires the two guys that put together a great, cheap young nucleus, cut the payroll, and got to the playoffs in only two years for the first time in 17 years.

...."free agent spending is done"......the perfect McBeaneism......so for those unemployed, their agents better come calling expecting to accept what McBeane is offering and not a penny more.....pretty shrewd dude IMO and I like it.....Whaley did the same with Cassel's agent and won...........

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think if they really want a pass rusher, they'll stay at #3 and take Chubb.

This is one of thoughts that has strong consensus. But if they can trade down and still get him??

5 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

But would the Colts take a guy they drafted and let go back or has the bridge sailed for them?  They'd probably ask for Shaq instead.

hope so

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

This is one of thoughts that has strong consensus. But if they can trade down and still get him??

hope so

Chubb will be long gone before #12.  If they project Davenport to be a dominant DE, then they may be inclined to take him there after a trade down. 

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...."free agent spending is done"......the perfect McBeaneism......so for those unemployed, their agents better come calling expecting to accept what McBeane is offering and not a penny more.....pretty shrewd dude IMO and I like it.....Whaley did the same with Cassel's agent and won...........

It a quality play by Beane. Seems he is moving the ball down the field .

Our first season of Pure Unadulterated McBeanes Offseason Special.

not too shabby.
still early though Folks.

“I know everybody assumes we’re going higher, but I don’t know that,” he said. “But there are some players at 12 that I know would not have fallen to 21, so I’m excited about that. We’re in the range for some of these guys and that’s not necessarily quarterback.”

That right there seems to me to be the reason for this press conference.  He had to temper expectations JUST in case he can't trade up.  I'm beginning to worry we won't be able to land Mayfield or Rosen or Darnold.  The only 3 I'm excited about.  

Plus this is a regime that passed on Watson so I don't know what to think anyway.  Just that this QB chase has to end.  

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

“I know everybody assumes we’re going higher, but I don’t know that,” he said. “But there are some players at 12 that I know would not have fallen to 21, so I’m excited about that. We’re in the range for some of these guys and that’s not necessarily quarterback.”

That right there seems to me to be the reason for this press conference.  He had to temper expectations JUST in case he can't trade up.  I'm beginning to worry we won't be able to land Mayfield or Rosen or Darnold.  The only 3 I'm excited about.  

Plus this is a regime that passed on Watson so I don't know what to think anyway.  Just that this QB chase has to end.  

077b70fa2d34630daf3abf9f660002dc.gif